Gransnet forums

Relationships

Family Drama

(48 Posts)
Serenade1a Thu 09-Aug-18 22:36:46

Do I ever detest family drama and that is exactly what my 75 year old mother caused yesterday. Would you mind if I asked the opinion of others? This may be long winded.

My mother inherited a large sum of money several years back when my father died. My sister felt she was entitled to some of that money because of its original source and my sister was in a little bit of a financial bind so my Mom gave her $40K to clear her debt. Subsequent to that large sum of money my mother has provided us with some very generous offers of trips, etc. I hate taking these offers, but Mom insists so I have had one trip my Dad left in his will and another to Cuba with another offer in the works (but I am really NOT INTERESTED anymore. I have taken enough. The others (including grandchildren) have been privy to some really nice gifts, but these are the children of my brother and sister. My children have taken nothing from their grandmother – up to and including gifts for her only great-grandchild.

So to continue, the whole incident started with my great granddaughter's annual birthday party, my daughter always comments that perhaps we should not do the annual party because it looks like she is looking for handouts for her child. I am a party stylist and have a great time planning an annual party for my granddaughter and, it gives the family an opportunity to get together on an annual basis as my daughter and granddaughter live a 6.5 hour drive away. They are University students so their budget allows them a trip maybe 3 times a year - it,s very rare.

My daughter and granddaughter celebrated their birthdays together this year. It was wonderful and my daughter as usual sent out thank you cards with personal thoughtful notes inside. My daughter wrote to my mother and thanked her for the wonderful gifts, that she missed her and hoped that one day we could travel together - for a girls trip when my granddaughter can stay with Daddy for a bit.

My mother totally misinterpreted the message and responded to her thankyou – Her it is: ' I gather you and your Mom discussed my offer to have you Mom and I go on a trip. However before the trip that you suggested can take place I would like to take a solo trip with my daughter Lorraine 'not your Mom' her sister, and eventually my son Chris (not your Uncle - kind of cold). Perhaps in the future when your financial situation improves, we can think about a trip together'.

My daughter called me and was absolutely devastated because she felt her grandmother assumed she was asking for a handout and, she brought up her financial status which is we shall say is 'relatively poor' at the moment (they are University students living in student housing).

I called my mother and was quite upset. I told her that her response to the thank you note from my daughter was inappropriate and that my daughter was in no way looking for a handout. We both hung up quite angry at each other.

Well, I need to call my mother now and apologize for my outburst, she is 75 and we do not know what tomorrow brings at any age. But I am still quite upset. I have broken this stupid message down and have re-read the darn thing 10 times. My conclusion remains the same.

I think my Mom damaged the relationship between her and her grandmother (not that there was much of one to begin with) My mother is not very close to MY children, actually she does not really know them. And, it has damaged the relationship with me (although I will not mention this to my daughter). I am so hurt. Am I making too much of this?

Thank you for letting me vent. Sorry it is so long winded. Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I apologized for my outburst. My mother coldly told me she was right and will be having the letter checked by experts. Oh brother… (I am rolling my eyes). It's so important to prove that she is right but the fact that she hurt her granddaughter's feelings are irrelevant. She states it was a beautifully written note. She did nothing wrong and hung up.

My son mentioned before he moved to Germany that he is so happy to get away from the constant family drama. We look like such a close family, but I am not feeling it. Was I being delusional about this note? Is my daughter overreacting? My daughter and granddaughter come first in my life. I am lucky if my Mom makes a move to call me once a month.

I am sad....

Greengal Wed 15-Aug-18 08:55:59

So trips you suggest are declined, too, but not trips that siblings suggest? So it's not just DD and what she can/can't afford? I'm sorry, but I think there's more going on here than meets the eye. Muffin may have hit it.

Regardless, congratulations on the coming grandbaby! Enjoy meeting baby and celebrating GS' birthday, as well! And give less mental and emotional energy to your mother and siblings and the related issues!

sarahcyn Wed 15-Aug-18 09:43:55

It sounds to me as though your mother is very controlling in the way she uses money to manipulate you all. She is responsible for the “family dramas” because without realising it you all play her games.

TillyWhiz Wed 15-Aug-18 10:17:39

I had a mother and grandmother who liked to use a money inheritance as bait for a bout of nastiness - my grandmother's letters were legendary and I even was driven to returning one torn into tiny pieces! It all used to hurt so much and then having my own children, I learnt to stand back and refuse to let them get involved in this so would not respond in any way. Prioritise who is most important to you and concentrate on them. Rise above any remarks and consistently refuse to be drawn into any argument. Some people sadly do revert to childhood as they get older, do not think of the past but what you have now and in the future.

Hm999 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:28:02

I see so much love for GC on this site from women who I assume are last 60, and then hear horror stories of intergenerational upset based on next-to-nothing.
So sorry to hear of such sadness. I just hope we don't turn into such grandmothers in a few years' time.

Lilyflower Wed 15-Aug-18 11:34:29

Reading between the lines your mother is completely in the wrong and was tactless and somewhat cruel to your daughter. I don't suppose she is going to change, as from your own words, she isn't going to back down and admit she is wrong.

You do not seem in any way mercenary, quite the reverse. However, your mother clearly is and is using her financial clout to manipulate her family.

I should keep the peace in relationship terms but think about the money in the long term. Do you want a decent inheritance? Suck up then and get the grandchildren to be oleaginous too and you have an outside chance of 'copping a drink'.

If you are not bothered by the money and want to keep to the moral high ground, take plenty of no notice.

Applegran Wed 15-Aug-18 11:35:39

This has been hard and complicated and I am sorry you had so much distress, on your own behalf and for your daughter. It is good that your mother apologised - this may have been very hard for her and probably worth accepting it with grace and not probing for more. How about thinking ahead, say, 5 years, and asking yourself from that perspective what is most important and what it would be good for you to do now?

GabriellaG Wed 15-Aug-18 11:57:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

GabriellaG Wed 15-Aug-18 13:09:21

Does any of it it really matter?
What a palaver over who said what to whom about something or other.

icanhandthemback Wed 15-Aug-18 13:32:56

My mother is 77 and says all sorts of things that make you gasp. She is never wrong and holds on to her money so that she can batter us all with her gifts or future promises. You never accept anything from her without realising that, in her eyes, it makes you beholden to her well beyond the grave. She finds it terribly upsetting when you tell her that her money means nothing to you! She will try to divide and conquer with the money whilst having one particular Grandchild whom she will throw money at no matter how badly said GD behaves. As my mother gets older, she just gets worse and, quite frankly, I find her an embarrassment with her loud views about everything!
I think your daughter is probably right, put it behind you. You only give your Mum leverage if you let it so I think your idea of the matter being closed is a really good one. Don't be tempted to discuss it and if she tries, end the conversation. It is possible that your sister's feeling of entitlement to money has your mother feeling quite jaded but that is for her too work out, not take out on you and your family.

icanhandthemback Wed 15-Aug-18 13:35:04

GabriellaG, if you don't like the topic, why don't you just scroll on by instead of being so rude. Nobody compels you to be involved with stuff you find trivial.

lorrieartiste Wed 15-Aug-18 13:40:56

?. That is one thing J have NEVER been able to do. Get’s me nowhere I guess. Too funny!

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-18 14:25:13

You say your mother is 75, then talk about your great-granddaughter. So your mother at 75 has a great-great-granddaughter. On average, each generation was about 16 years 4 months old when the next was born. Fast work!

lorrieartiste Wed 15-Aug-18 14:33:12

Elegran - yes possibly. My mother is 75. I am 57. My daughter actually took her time and finished her Masters Degree. She was 32 in the year she gave birth. The little one is 3! If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited. But it was the early 80's, things were very different back then.

lorrieartiste Wed 15-Aug-18 14:36:46

icanhandthemback - your username is excellent! Thank you for your feedback. Seems like we are in the same boat. There are instances where my mother can be so rude even to service staff. I just gasp and am appalled at times. I will mention it but tactfully.

lorrieartiste Wed 15-Aug-18 14:44:17

Once again, thank you for the positive feedback. I have been extremely selective and have taken all into consideration. Considering I live in a French speaking area of Canada, thank you for reading my post. I realize it may not have been written exactly as I intended to explain it, but speaking two languages sometime affects grammar. Here we even mix the two or will encounter an anglophone neighbour on the street and hold an entire conversation in French. Anyway, I am rambling, thank you for your patience and understanding.

NannaM Wed 15-Aug-18 15:20:38

The one thing I thought of as I was reading this post was "Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?" lorrieartiste maybe you can ask your mom this sometime?

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-18 16:50:04

So it must be your mother's great-granddaughter, not yours! You said "the whole incident started with my great granddaughter's annual birthday party" which made me think that you were all gymslip mothers, from the great-great grandma to the greatgrandma (you), the grandma and the mother of the little one. Family dramas indeed!

lorrieartiste Wed 15-Aug-18 17:16:58

Oups! So pleased I cleared that up Elegran! That post was written while upset. I should have proofread it! Just spoke with Mom actually and the conversation was like nothing amiss ever happened. I wish I was not so sensitive on behalf of my daughter. But I would assume that is normal for a Mum.

4allweknow Wed 15-Aug-18 17:23:38

There is a saying that you can pick your friends but not your relations and would say this applies to you. Your Mother seems like hard work and obviously u willing to compromise on anything. I would stop any contact at least for a while. If she genuinely cares about her family she will contact you. Some you win, some you lose.

mabon1 Wed 15-Aug-18 18:20:36

Who's the drama queen?

GabriellaG Wed 15-Aug-18 23:41:23

icanhandthemback
Are you the arbiter of my comments and my choice as to whether I comment or not?
You are not even the OP and it was her rambling post to which I referred.

icanhandthemback Mon 20-Aug-18 11:45:16

No GabriellaG, I am not the arbiter of your comments but you can often be so rude to people in your posts although, for the life of me, I can't think why.