Gransnet forums

Relationships

Big move at 71

(14 Posts)
maddy47 Mon 22-Oct-18 18:09:10

I have lived where I am for 10 years, since my marriage broke up and I moved away. I chose to come here because my eldest son lives here, and I couldn't afford to live where my daughter and younger son lived. I have loved it here, made wonderful friends and, 6 years ago, met and eventually married my current lovely husband. My eldest son now has 3 wonderful daughters and I am proud and happy to be a big part of their lives.
So, why change things I hear you ask? Well, my daughter is pregnant with twins, due in January. IVF. She has had a rough time since her second marriage three years ago - ectopic, IVF, miscarriages, but she is now well into this pregnance (with donor eggs) and we are all very excited.
She lives in the south, whereas we are 'oop norf'.
We have been talking about downsizing to a bungalow for some time (we have a very big garden which is getting too much). So, we have made the decision to downsize to where daughter lives. Our house will go on the market very soon, and we plan to rent for around 6 months while we find a suitable place to live. (I've never ever lived south of Wolverhampton!!).
Decision is made, all family are happy and understand. Eldest son said last night that the girls would miss me like crazy, and I will miss them so much, also my friends, etc. But I know I need to do this to help my daughter out, as I have been able to help out my eldest son and d-i-l when the girls were little.
However, I'm 71, and this is a bit scary! Little bit exciting though!!!

tinaf1 Mon 22-Oct-18 18:13:44

? Good luck hope it all goes well for you both, we're pretty friendly here dahn saarf too ?

Melanieeastanglia Mon 22-Oct-18 18:14:37

I wish you the best of luck. Plenty of people wouldn't have your courage. Presumably, you can still return to the north for visits.

maddy47 Mon 22-Oct-18 18:17:40

Thanks tinaf1. My daughter tells me that dahn saarf people are great - her husband is one of them!!

GrandmaKT Mon 22-Oct-18 18:22:48

Good for you! Nice to have another adventure to look forward to. As you made friends after your last move, I'm sure you will make new ones in your new location, and be a great help to your daughter. Keep us posted!

maddy47 Mon 22-Oct-18 18:26:52

Melanie, yes of course we will come back and visit, and also to my younger son, who we will be nearer to after the move.
I don't drive motorways anymore, but OH does, and there's always the train. Change in London - London Bridge via the tube to Kings X.

M0nica Mon 22-Oct-18 20:21:18

How wise you are to decide to rent before you buy. A friend did the reverse, north to south, refused all advice to rent for a while and get the feel of a place she really did not know before she committed herself irrevocably, She made a bad decision and lived to regret it.

Grannyknot Mon 22-Oct-18 20:25:54

maddy as the saying goes: Fortune favours the brave.

Very best wishes. flowers

cornergran Mon 22-Oct-18 21:16:46

Renting first you’ll make a success of it. Sometimes a couple of miles in an area makes an important difference. I’m delighted for you, it will be challenging but oh so exciting. One thought, if you can do have room for your family from the North to come and stay, makes a huge difference.

crazyH Mon 22-Oct-18 21:35:48

All the best for your forthcoming move flowers

CocoPops Tue 23-Oct-18 03:44:48

I moved across the pond at 65 yrs. to help with GC. No regrets. Rented initially.
One good piece of advice I received was to buy a property near to the family. I bought a place within 10 minutes walk. This proved to be invaluable advice both in terms of me helping the family and in terms of them helping me when I was ill and confined to barracks for a few weeks.
I also live close to school, public transit, the local community centre, library, swimming pool and medical centre. Enjoy your new adventure.

Willow500 Tue 23-Oct-18 06:58:19

Good luck! My parents moved round the corner from us 6 months after we left the town they were in when they were in their mid 60's. They left friends but as I was an only child it made sense and I'm sure they never regretted it. They saw their grandsons grow up and their great granddaughters born, made new friends and caught up with old ones who lived near here. We spent many happy times together and although I'm sure it's not your intent it also meant we were able to care for them in their latter years. Go for it and enjoy your new grandchildren when they arrive - best wishes for a safe delivery for them too.

morethan2 Tue 23-Oct-18 08:37:47

Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope your happy in your new home. Don’t take any notice of the old adage that ‘people aren’t as friendly down south’ its simply not true but what is true is that the weather is (mostly) just that bit warmer.sunshine

glammanana Tue 23-Oct-18 10:16:55

Good luck with your move what an exciting time for you all,when deciding to buy always make sure you are near to shops/chemists/post offices and good transport links as you never know when you may not have your own transport,from experience always try and keep away from any areas where the Roads are steep