Gransnet forums

Relationships

Debbie MCGee

(15 Posts)
Willow10 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:12:32

Is it just me? Watching Debbie MCGee on Loose Women today, I thought her remarks about the Strictly winners were rather bitchy and spiteful. Saying that they were not voted on technique but personality, I got the impression that she is still smarting over not winning herself last year. Sour grapes maybe?

Willow10 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:21:53

Sorry - this was meant for 'chat'. Not sure how to change it now!

crazyH Mon 17-Dec-18 13:24:44

I think you have to 'report' it yourself to GN ...they will then take off the post and you can repost it in Chats...I hope I'm right...

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:24:47

I think she's right, though.

Perhaps it shouldn't be left totally up to the public in the final vote.
The one who got the lowest score from the judges won this year - why?

Missfoodlove Mon 17-Dec-18 13:26:41

After watching her walk the Camino ( Santiago de Compistella) I have nothing but admiration for her.
She never moaned despite her feet behind severely blistered, she smiled, laughed and got on with everyone.
She showed great empathy for people she met on the pilgrimage.
I have never watched strictly or loose women so cannot comment but I like her.

dragonfly46 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:27:35

I think to a large extent it is a popularity contest but there is no way this can be prevented.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:32:12

We bumped into Debbie McGee with Paul Daniels a couple of years ago (it must have been just before he died) and she was charming to us all - she could have just walked past with her nose in the air but she didn't.

Anniebach Mon 17-Dec-18 13:33:13

It’s her opinion , I didn’t watch it but the public vote often sways to personality

Cold Mon 17-Dec-18 13:39:52

Strictly is meant to be about learning to dance. I think that the public like to see the contestants that show great improvement and prefer those that actually learn to dance on the show. They are generally less impressed by the ones that have previously worked as professional dancers even if they do have better technique.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Dec-18 13:41:12

That's a good point Cold

I think the winner did work hard to achieve the standard she did as she had not danced previously.

I also wonder if the public voted for the lovely Kevin?

Willow10 Mon 17-Dec-18 14:20:50

I've done what you suggested crazyH - thank you. I'll see what happens now!

muffinthemoo Mon 17-Dec-18 14:27:36

I think people voted for Kevin. I voted for Kevin although I like Stacey's documentary work very much and have done for a long time, and was very pleased to see her win.

No, perhaps as a couple they were not technically the best but they were competing against people who were actually professional dancers. Putting Faye and Ashley into Strictly is like putting Sinead Kerr into Dancing On Ice and then complaining the public are not giving her her dues. (Big fan of Sinead and John so that's not a knock on them!!)

It's an entertainment programme, in the end. If you want a seriously judged competition, the big dancesport federations put pretty much all the competition footage up on Youtube. I watch nearly all of that and enjoy it very much.

Also, Joe and Dianne make an adorable (official) couple. So all worked out okay in the end!!

Anja Mon 17-Dec-18 14:28:35

I agree Cold as a dance competition I would favour those who start out with no experience whatsoever and judge them by how far they had come in a few months.

Caledonai14 Mon 17-Dec-18 14:54:03

Yes Jalima, I think Kevin got a lot of votes on his own account. I know that's not how it's supposed to work (that the professional's popularity is a factor) but the programme's format is that the final vote is down to the public alone ... it works for most of us most of the time.

Kevin is admired for the way he treats all his partners with civility and encouragement. There was also sympathy for him when his sister won the Glitter Ball, and it may be that a few votes were swung when Craig inexplicably failed to give Kevin and Stacey a perfect score, prompting a sad remark from the professional indicating this was par for the course when he is in a final.

In one of the later It Takes Twos, Kevin admitted he'd fallen in love with dance all over again this year because of Stacey's efforts.

I'm happy for both of them.

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Dec-18 16:39:11

I once saw Debbie Magee on a programme about narrow boat holidays ( watched it because Nigel Havers was in it) she seemed perfectly nice.