Gransnet forums

Relationships

Here we go again.

(54 Posts)
Bopeep14 Tue 01-Jan-19 02:02:25

As some of you know my eldest son and family have gone non contact. He originally stopped speaking to the whole family, but about a month in he started speaking to his younger brother and they have been visiting each other.
I have no problem with this, but just lately my son has become distant towards me has said a few nasty things to me, his wife who I thought I had a good relationship with blatantly ignores me even when I try to talk to her.
It sort of came to a head for me tonight, we went to my daughters for a New Year’s Eve party, my son and his wife and there child were already there, I said hello to her she ignored me never said a word to me had a face like there was a bad smell in the room, until other guest arrived and then she was laughing and chatting with these people.
The only time she spoke to me all evening was to make sure I could still have the child this week while she was at work.
Would you ask what was wrong or would you just leave it and hope it blows over.
The way I feel at the moment is I am ok to save her childminder fees but not ok to talk too.

Bopeep14 Fri 22-Mar-19 11:42:31

Breeze the funny thing is we were a very close family before all this we had games nights once a month all the family came including grandchildren, our children popped in when they were passing just to say hello, my daughter has no idea why this is happening as she has been excommunicated as well as we we all have including there grandma. When we received the letter telling us to stop sending cards and gifts i sent my son a message asking him if he was 100% behind his wife on this, if so i wanted him to tell me himself or write me a letter in his own handwriting he read the message but still nothing from him. I really wish he would tell me himself then i can get on with my life knowing he no longer wants me or any of the family in his life. He is just being so cruel i never thought he was like this. Hand on heart non of us have done or said anything to deserve this treatment. I have one thing left i could try writing to him at work, because i am not sure its actually him thats getting my texts i know it sounds silly but maybe his wife is controlling him some how.

breeze Fri 22-Mar-19 11:18:30

It's ridiculous that you've been cut out without any explanation. How can you defend yourself if they won't tell you why. If they won't speak to you, you could either write a letter and say you are completely baffled as to why they're annoyed with you and could they at least let you know. It could be that during the disagreement with the other couple, they said something like 'Even your mother agrees with us' or something untrue.

If that doesn't work, ask your daughter if she knows or could find out why. Explain to her that you're broken hearted but unless you know why you can't mend the relationship or even accept it's over. Something's been said you're not aware of.

You sound like a family who don't communicate as I'm pretty sure I would know straight away why if one or two of my three sons stopped talking to me. But they know I'd march round there and have it out with them.

If you know in your heart of hearts you've done nothing whatsoever wrong, then you have to find out.

In the meantime flowers for you. You must be feeling dreadful.

Bopeep14 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:57:01

CrazyH no i didnt have my grandchild over the last school holidays, obviously they found someone else. Luckily i have a very good relationship with my daughter which hopefully will never change but then again i always thought i had a good relationship with my sons and there wives too just goes to show i was completely wrong. My eldest sons two children are too young to miss us but my other sons child is nearly 7 i wonder what they are saying about us, why we have disappeared out of there lives.
Eazybee we had a letter from my eldest sons wife telling us to no longer send cards or gifts to any of there family, so can’t even do that now.

Bopeep14 Fri 22-Mar-19 10:39:48

leyla yes i do know some of what the problem is, but it was between a relative and his wife nothing what so ever to do with us, and really nothing serious either, this is why i am finding it very hard to understand why we have been cut off. If i could get an explanation i would be able to try and fix it or at least have closure of some sort. Thank you sodapop i will wait and see what mothers day brings, and then make the decision.

eazybee Fri 22-Mar-19 10:19:39

As you have had no row with your sons, no accusations have been made, no recriminations, it would seem that someone is deliberately spreading malicious allegations about you, and your sons and daughters in law are too cowardly to confront you with them.
I have no advice on how to resolve this cruel situation, but try and maintain some sort of contact, even if only cards and presents via your daughter, with your grandchildren; with such stupidly immature parents they are going to need all the help they can get.

crazyH Fri 22-Mar-19 10:15:21

No Bopeep, don't do anything like that....don't delete them from social media. So are you still doing the babysitting? If so, then all is not lost. There is contact. Quite frankly, I find Birthdays, Mothering Sundays etc all so stressful. For instance my d.i.ls have already told me they will be with their mothers for Mothering Sunday. Fair enough. My sons will probably be with them and that's fine by me. I used to get so stressed out about all these 'special' days....not any more. I just go with the flow....couldn't be bothered really. Perhaps my daughter will come over. I'm not sure of that either .

sodapop Fri 22-Mar-19 08:44:26

I'm so sorry this has happened to you Bopeep can your daughter not shed any light on the problem ?
It's particularly hard when Mothering Sunday is being so hyped up everywhere. Don't do anything in the heat of the moment, don't delete anything just step back and look at the rest of your life. There is pleasure to be had with friends and other family. A little breathing space is good before you try to deal with the problems again.

leyla Fri 22-Mar-19 08:34:37

Do you really have no idea why both sons have stopped communicating with you? Or do you have an inkling? Surely it must be something very serious to cause them to cut you out of their lives? Can your daughter shed any light on it? Seems to me that your oldest son has said something to his brother that has shocked him into doing the same?

Bopeep14 Fri 22-Mar-19 05:52:41

Looks like I have lost another son and grandchild, still no contact been made, I have rung and text got no answer. So I give up. He has done exactly the same as his older brother cut us all out of his life,I assume something has been said between them which has made him do this I can’t imagine what. I am beginning to feel like a terrible mother that 2 children can do this. Where did I go wrong? Mother’s Day is going to be awful. The only thing I have to hold on to is they haven’t deleted me as friends on social media although I am limited so can’t see anything they post, but it really upsets me seeing there profile pictures, should I delete them? Help please what would you do?

Bopeep14 Sat 19-Jan-19 12:26:57

Thought I would pop back and give you an update.
Have still not seen my son to speak too, I have been round to see him a couple of times but no one was in.
It’s very out of character for him not to call round to see us.
Paddyann I didn’t want to think that my other son could have anything to do with it but maybe you are correct.
Will keep trying to see him.

paddyann Fri 11-Jan-19 11:20:38

I think the son who is no contact has been stirring things up.Maybe telling the others you said things about them that you haven't.The ebst way to go ,in my opinion is to ask what's going on.Now you can do it face to face but if you think it might get confrontational then e-mail or write to them .Dont just let it go on the way it is ,the longet that happens the less likely it will ever be sorted .

crazyH Fri 11-Jan-19 09:16:28

Sodapop ?

sodapop Fri 11-Jan-19 08:44:08

Good job we have you on Gransnet GG otherwise who knows what grammar we might use. grin does not negate rudeness.

GabriellaG54 Fri 11-Jan-19 08:31:26

Madgran
That made me grin (grinned and beared)
It would look a bit better as 'grinned and borne'. wink

tiredoldwoman Thu 03-Jan-19 16:46:09

Yes, Bopeep, let it go quiet and see what happens - softly , softly , catchee monkey ?
Good luck and big hugs from me.
Give it a week and tell us what happened ?

luluaugust Thu 03-Jan-19 16:13:09

Sorry just realised your younger son is saying horrible things, I think with him I would definitely challenge him at the time and say you are very upset, as indeed you are.

FarNorth Thu 03-Jan-19 15:19:54

I think you should be ready for next time your son says something nasty and pick him up on it, rather than let it go. Just ask him why he said that.

I suggest leaving the DiL situation for a day or two and, if it continues, ask her why she's not been speaking to you.
Don't ask while the child is there, though, as that could make the whole thing more difficult for everyone.

janeainsworth Thu 03-Jan-19 15:00:41

Bopeep you must ask her directly why she doesn’t speak to you.
You won’t get a straight answer from anyone else because they will interpret the situation from their own perspective and also, even if subconsciously, give you the answer they think you want to hear.
You will only sort this out if you deal directly with her.

crazyH Thu 03-Jan-19 14:55:43

Bopeep, what an ungrateful, surly d.i.l. you have. Now, let's give her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps , for whatever reason, she had a bad day. If she usually has a chat with you and this is just a one-off or a two-off, we'll say she's had a couple of bad days.
Or there's some tittle- tattle going on. I'm afraid this happens in families where the co-inlaws (female) chat regularly to each other. I experience it all the time. I let it go over my head and carry on as normal. I don't usually delve into the reasons for their behaviour for fear it will turn into a confrontation . All the best !

luluaugust Thu 03-Jan-19 14:49:03

It seems to me that your eldest son or his partner have been saying things to your younger son and your DIL has been upset about something that was said. The only thing I can suggest is that next time she comes to collect your GC you say point direct you are worried you have upset her and can she tell you what you have done. You could either just keep it very simple or go on a charm offensive, you know which might work best. She certainly has got everyone running around after her.

Bopeep14 Thu 03-Jan-19 14:19:52

She spoke to her child, she usually asks if the child has been good, what they have had to eat those sorts of things but she didnt ask, i volunteered the information but she pretended not to hear, and fussed with the child. I agree its very strange.

janeainsworth Thu 03-Jan-19 12:33:30

But Bopeep do you really mean to say that your DiL came to your house after you’d had your grandchild for nearly 12 hours and didn’t say a single word?
Not even a ‘how’s your day been?’ ?
Did you say anything to her?

That is seriously strange and your grandchild will pick up on that.
I couldn’t let that pass.

I would have launched into an account of what a lovely day we’d had and asked her about her day too.
confused

Grammaretto Thu 03-Jan-19 11:24:07

Good luck to you with this situation. I can't see how a small child can be picked up by the mother and there is no contact.
Maybe I'm thick. Would it just be like picking a child up from nursery? What the child did today but nothing about you?
My friend whose son attends a special school because he has no speech etc comes home each day with a diary written by the teacher. His mum can reply with a message about how he is today. It must be a little time consuming but is a great comfort to his mum and can nip any problems in the bud.

Bopeep14 Thu 03-Jan-19 11:09:01

I enjoyed the day with my grandchild, her mum came to collect, my son had to work late, same as the morning no talking but I just chose to ignore her, if my son had come I would have asked him what was wrong. Luckily it’s only school holidays now for my grandchild.
Yes I suppose I am there for my children too much, but I did it for my first grandchild 7 years ago and as most of you know what you do for one adult child you have to do for the rest. I love how close my grandchildren are to me this is the biggest benefit about looking after them. I am going to leave it for now and see what happens. Thank you all for you advice it has certainly made me think.

Daddima Thu 03-Jan-19 09:25:04

I’d have to ask what the problem is, and see if it could be sorted. I’d also find it hard to continue being used as unpaid child care, just so I could see my grandchildren. Surely looking after them is primarily for the parents’ benefit?