Gransnet forums

Relationships

Confusion

(11 Posts)
Durant Wed 02-Jan-19 09:41:44

My 21 month old granddaughter seems to prefer her other granny. The baby is fine with me until the other granny arrives. I then seem to be ignored. I don’t know why.

Teetime Wed 02-Jan-19 09:48:59

I wouldnt worry it will iron itself out.

Gonegirl Wed 02-Jan-19 09:53:04

Can you see her on days when the other granny will not be there?

We all, or most of us, have this kind of anxiety to a greater or lesser extent. As Teetime says, just let it go. Things might change soon.

Nonnie Wed 02-Jan-19 10:20:52

Does the other granny look after the child on her own sometimes? I would expect my GS to be closer to their other grandmother because she lives near to them and helps with childcare.

MissAdventure Wed 02-Jan-19 10:26:15

Maybe she does prefer the other grandparent at this moment in time.
Children are like that.

Grannyknot Wed 02-Jan-19 10:34:01

Hi Durant and welcome if you're new.

I find that grandchildren kind of "age out" of being interested in their grandparents anyway. At 4 years of age, I can often tell that my grandson isn't that interested in visitors of any kind! He is always happy to see us but will then wander off and do his own thing.

I don't want to be my grandson's "favourite" anything grin the very thought is exhausting, I've had my turn.

lemongrove Wed 02-Jan-19 10:35:56

Why does the other granny ‘arrive’?

crazyH Wed 02-Jan-19 10:36:52

I suppose it's the grandmother they see more often and usually it's the maternal grandma. I'm sure they love all the same. So don't take it to heart Durant.

Nonnie Wed 02-Jan-19 11:20:45

Think one of my GS prefers his aunt to any of us. He always gives her a special smile and goes off and does things with her leaving the rest of us ignored. We love the special relationship they have.

M0nica Wed 02-Jan-19 22:48:49

The out and out favourite in our family is DD. If she is there, parents, grandparents, any other relations might as well get books out and start reading. She has always had this affect on small children, from the time she started baby sitting at 14. they are attracted to her like wasps to jam.

She has always been quite determined not to marry and not to have children of her own confused

Grammaretto Wed 02-Jan-19 23:55:29

I wouldn't worry. It must be strange for little ones to keep adjusting to different people. Maybe the other granny is very good with babies but I'm sure you'll get to have your own special relationship too.