Gransnet forums

Relationships

unreasonable school project?

(188 Posts)
anxiousgran Wed 16-Jan-19 16:34:40

Dgd brought home a flyer from school about this half terms "challenge".
It is called "Fabulous Fabric". The children have to imagine and draw garments made from re-cycled fabric. Then they have to "brainstorm" the fabric they have available then make the garment/garments, and as the flyer says measure themselves throughout to make sure it fits. Then they have to evaluate their work and make a poster to "advertise" their fabrics, and last but not least, wear their creations in a fashion show.

But here's the rub, she's five years old. Dil doesn't do any craft, and when dgd isn't exhausted after school, at weekends, dil works long shifts so ds can look after both dgds. They have asked me to help dgd with the project.

I was a bit dismayed, not to say upset, first for the poor child, but also myself in having to come up with something within my limitations. I'm not particularly handy myself, but have come up with a couple of ideas with the help of my sister and b-in-l.

Luckily I have some fabric and ribbon and so on, but the project idea will have to come from me as she will probably dream up a Cinderella outfit if left to herself.

At the very least the project will require dressmaking scissors, laying out the material and joining it, without it falling apart when she has to put it on unaided at the fashion show. I think it's all beyond a five year olds capability.

I'm going to use glue or staples where I can to avoid sewing, but that will require plenty of supervision if she does it. I also thought of wonder web type stuff, but that requires a hot iron.

Great Sewing Bee keeps coming to mind, and the pitfalls they encounter! We see dgds and ds most Sundays but only for a few hours and I'm worried it won't be finished in time.

She's bound to lose interest after a bit, and what infant school child wouldn't? So I will inevitably be doing most of it for her, which defeats the object.

Sorry I've made such a storm in a teacup about this, but I couldn't sleep the other night for thinking about it. I don't blame them for asking me though.

Just wondering what other gransnetters think? Also wondering if I've put this on the right forum?

mcem Thu 17-Jan-19 08:44:31

I too am a retired primary teacher and agree with others who find this inappropriate for a young child.
BUT unless the school gets feedback from families they will continue along this line.
There is no point in complaining but not communicating with the school just as there is no point in buying in to the competitive parents nonsense.

Blencathra Thu 17-Jan-19 08:44:39

I think the ’We ended up making.........’ says it all - especially when only a 5 yr old child.

Blencathra Thu 17-Jan-19 08:47:07

I stopped my child’s primary school doing it. I stood up in a meeting and pointed out that it was hardly fair when researching a famous painting that we had visited the National Gallery and some children couldn’t even get to the library.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Jan-19 08:54:19

I've emailed the school a couple of times and had no response at all.
No surprise to me, sadly.

TerriBull Thu 17-Jan-19 08:56:10

Sympathies OP, I can remember ridiculous projects which very young children don't have the wherewithal to make/compile on their own. One such one that I remember when one of ours was about five or so, make an instrument out of cereal boxes confused. I remember it because I'd just gone back to work for my husband and resented the time given over to farting about with cardboard and elastic bands until I managed to cobble together something that looked like a guitar. Pointless really because as I gathered from fellow mothers at the school gates it was incumbent on us as the parent to pretty much do the work for them. A delegation of parents did go into the school to complain about an "in depth" project on a European country of their choice when one of them was aged 7, requesting that "age appropriate" homework be set, that isn't reliant on parents' efforts.

Grammaretto Thu 17-Jan-19 09:01:17

Izabella sending hugs.
I can remember classes of 45+ . Some kids had no shoes and certainly no change of clothes for gym, - knickers and bare tops!
There has been a quiet revolution in teaching.
All those clothes being cut up and glued together goes against the grain for me. Make clothes ofcourse but to wear please. A poor child in Bangladesh probably made those jeans.

MissAdventure Thu 17-Jan-19 09:04:36

Factor in 'superhero' days, 'spotty' days, 'going on a school trip but dressed as a victorian' days, alongside reading for 45 minutes each night and regular homework..

Lily65 Thu 17-Jan-19 09:05:48

I think whilst they are still in the womb there is so much wasted time. Why not try to get a foreign language in there or perhaps some hand/eye coordination exercises.

JackyB Thu 17-Jan-19 09:06:19

I'd like to see what the boys in the class come up with!

I agree with everyone else of course. This is far too much for a 5 year old and the parents should get together and protest to the head teacher

Bathsheba Thu 17-Jan-19 09:12:17

This really is utterly absurd. A five year old has zero chance of completing this project from start to finish on their own, so it is nothing more than a competition for the parents/grandparents. And the school obviously knows this.
Setting this sort of homework completely ignores the fact that most parents work and have little time to spend on these complex projects. It also ignores the fact that half-term is a break from school - families may indeed have a holiday booked. Children as young as five should not be put under such pressure outside of school hours. As someone else said, it is no wonder mental health issues are so much on the increase angry
I would be contacting as many parents as possible about this, as I'm sure the majority will be feeling the same. And try to get them all to write in saying their child will not be taking part as this project is clearly, as the teacher must know, beyond their capabilities.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Jan-19 09:16:49

This sort of homework is complete bollocks!

It achieves nothing and is obviously going to mainly be done by the parents (probably mothers) and it simply highlights those children whose parents are not in a [position to help them.

This sort of project should be done in school - the associated homework might be to gather the basic materials together, where possible, or to make a list of the things that you think you might need and your ideas.

As to the "fashion show" - there will the children whose parents have made something wonderful and those with barely anything - how humiliating!

Children's homework that requires parents to do it is just the pits.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Jan-19 09:17:31

Lily65 grin

felice Thu 17-Jan-19 09:30:01

DGs primary 1 has a project book for the term, one per week. Nothing too difficult, mainly collecting things explaining the use, where he got them etc.
It is almost the norm here that both parents work, DD does not so has more time, but homework is limited to take family into account.

MadeInYorkshire Thu 17-Jan-19 09:43:36

Absolutely ridiculous as it will obviously not be the completed work of a 5 year old but their parents/grannies/siblings etc - so in reality a Mother's Competition and I would refuse to do it quite frankly .....

MadeInYorkshire Thu 17-Jan-19 09:47:35

Mumofmadboys great minds think alike! Hadn't read all the comments before I commented as was astounded at the OP's post!

Don't do it anxiousgran!

Razzy Thu 17-Jan-19 09:48:45

Not sure if over thinking it? Recycle = use old clothes someone is getting rid of and just cut to fit?

Coconut Thu 17-Jan-19 09:53:46

Personally I would bat this straight back to the school. For a 5 year old it’s obviously way out of their capabilities so just causes stress and extra work for hard pushed parents. Unreasonable and illogical.

Gaggi3 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:10:40

Not sure I even understood the instructions. What does 'brainstorm their fabrics ' mean?
My twin GC started school in September. My DGD might be interested in this for a short time, but wouldn't be capable of many of the skills needed without help. DGS would be interested for about 5 seconds and then go off to do something else.
As a retired teacher ,I'm not sure this has been planned with the skills of this age-group in mind.

Sarahmob Thu 17-Jan-19 10:19:24

I’m a teacher and think this ‘project’ is utterly ridiculous. It’s way beyond the skills of a five year old. (Many I teach don’t know how to use scissors properly yet!) IMO homework should be minimal (reading, spelling) and I would never give something that is beyond their capabilities.

Gelisajams Thu 17-Jan-19 10:20:47

I was reading this and thought that’s not unreasonable for someone doing GCSE textiles. Then I read it was a 5 year old expected to do this. How could a 5 year year old begin to do this? Some can barely dress themselves at that age. Why should a parent grandparent have to rise to this challenge? I did A level needlework some years ago and can drive a sewing machine pretty well, but would hate to have to do this.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jan-19 10:26:25

If you are 5, why not make a Cinderella skirt out of recycled things? It doesn't gave to be glam in an adult' s eyes. Use up some Christmas tinsel and cut a hole in an old square scarf/tablecloth/piece of curtain or whatever you don't mind using up. I think she'll enjoy working on that sort of project and can use it to play in later.

Marianne1953 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:33:54

I am presuming this is something that is done during the school holiday. I think the idea is to show something they have done with their parents or grandparents. It’s to encourage joint play, as a lot of children these days are just put in front of the TV or tablet. I definitely think it wasn’t meant for the child to do alone. Making a scarf out of an old jumper with pom-poms edging hardly needs much sewing or they could be tired on with wool . I used to do sewing with infants and I assure you they are all quite capable.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jan-19 10:38:50

Oh! My oldest child unravelled an old jumper at about age 5 and knitted a scarf for her doll. That's quite simple!

Molly10 Thu 17-Jan-19 10:42:43

I agree it seems like a big task for a 5 year old.

You need to simplify it in your mind. Maybe items of clothing the child has outgrown cut sleeves off/join a short top and skirt together/use sleeves to tie a top tabard style etc.

The top and bottom of it (excuse the pun) is to make it fun creating with the child. Trial and error.

Have fun and enjoy. Remember children pick up on anxiety so if you feel like that she may get anxious too.

Post a picture when you have finished.

Allgoodnamesaregone Thu 17-Jan-19 10:52:57

When my DD was in Year 2 they had an eco fashion show . We made a plastic bag rara skirt. Then made plastic & paper flowers and stapled them to an old t.shirt. We fastened some of those to an old hairbsnd too. We even made a newspaper handbag. We looked on Pinterest together & I steered her towards do-able ideas. She did help with some of it, but it was family homework so it was meant to be a joint project. And we had to do it during the half term holiday...so you were stuffed if you were going away!