Gransnet forums

Relationships

unreasonable school project?

(188 Posts)
anxiousgran Wed 16-Jan-19 16:34:40

Dgd brought home a flyer from school about this half terms "challenge".
It is called "Fabulous Fabric". The children have to imagine and draw garments made from re-cycled fabric. Then they have to "brainstorm" the fabric they have available then make the garment/garments, and as the flyer says measure themselves throughout to make sure it fits. Then they have to evaluate their work and make a poster to "advertise" their fabrics, and last but not least, wear their creations in a fashion show.

But here's the rub, she's five years old. Dil doesn't do any craft, and when dgd isn't exhausted after school, at weekends, dil works long shifts so ds can look after both dgds. They have asked me to help dgd with the project.

I was a bit dismayed, not to say upset, first for the poor child, but also myself in having to come up with something within my limitations. I'm not particularly handy myself, but have come up with a couple of ideas with the help of my sister and b-in-l.

Luckily I have some fabric and ribbon and so on, but the project idea will have to come from me as she will probably dream up a Cinderella outfit if left to herself.

At the very least the project will require dressmaking scissors, laying out the material and joining it, without it falling apart when she has to put it on unaided at the fashion show. I think it's all beyond a five year olds capability.

I'm going to use glue or staples where I can to avoid sewing, but that will require plenty of supervision if she does it. I also thought of wonder web type stuff, but that requires a hot iron.

Great Sewing Bee keeps coming to mind, and the pitfalls they encounter! We see dgds and ds most Sundays but only for a few hours and I'm worried it won't be finished in time.

She's bound to lose interest after a bit, and what infant school child wouldn't? So I will inevitably be doing most of it for her, which defeats the object.

Sorry I've made such a storm in a teacup about this, but I couldn't sleep the other night for thinking about it. I don't blame them for asking me though.

Just wondering what other gransnetters think? Also wondering if I've put this on the right forum?

trendygran Sun 20-Jan-19 15:37:22

meant ‘didn’t’ and ‘carers’!

Eloethan Sun 20-Jan-19 23:55:48

anxiousgran I'm not surprised you're worried by this. I would be having sleepless night too. How absolutely ridiculous to set a project that will inevitably mean parents/carers will have to do most of the sourcing of ideas and materials and most of the work.

People are busy enough these days just trying to do the basics without having stupid tasks like this to do. I would be inclined to query it (in the nicest possible way!).

Lilylilo Mon 21-Jan-19 07:52:01

Oh come on...give primary school teachers a break, they're dammed if they give homework and dammed if they don't. The task might sound a bit complicated on first reading but it's really quite simple to make something from very little. As others have suggested...old net curtains, pillow slips, carrier bags etc etc.Does that really require much 'sourcing'? It's actually encouraging a bit of inventiveness and in our very 'throw -away' society really isn't 'stupid'at all.

Iam64 Mon 21-Jan-19 08:10:20

We have primary school teachers in the family/friendship group. No way on earth would any of them set a 'homework' task like this.

PECS Mon 21-Jan-19 09:30:54

Can I clarify..was it a half term i.e 6 week project or to be done overnight? My DGCs have had 1/2 term projects : e.g create a volcano to link with geog. learning in class. The results, which I saw as I was on supply when they were due in, were wonderful! From Lego, paper mache, clay, paper sculpture, recycled stuff etc. Better than pages of worksheets!

anxiousgran Mon 21-Jan-19 18:07:59

PECS it is a project to be completed with 3 weeks notice and has to be in school the Monday before half term.
Sorry I can't post the flyer as Dgd has taken it home with her.
I don't think half termly projects are unreasonable, as long as they are age appropriate.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Jan-19 18:10:48

Well, I'm sure this one is suitable for your age group, anxiousgran wink

Summerlove Mon 21-Jan-19 19:05:38

Three weeks sounds like ample time to do that?

Though if you feel it’s above you, simply tell the parents no.

Beammeupscottie Tue 22-Jan-19 14:49:41

This teacher has come across this stupid project for a 5 yr. old in some educational guide. I bet this teacher would not have time to do this her/himself!
I would be up at this school, making a fuss.

Lilylilo Tue 22-Jan-19 17:25:06

It sounds like a lovely project to me with ample time to complete, well done that teacher for finding some exciting topic for homework, so much better for children and such fun.

Lilylilo Tue 22-Jan-19 17:26:01

Also I'm sure the teacher has already tried it out and possibly done it successfully in the past!

anxiousgran Tue 22-Jan-19 19:37:57

I’m hoping I’m up to it now Lilylilo as I’m committed to doing what she has chosen to do.
I don’t want to make her unhappy by complaining at this stage, though I will see if d-in -l will pass on a message to the teacher pointing out it’s difficulty when dgd takes it in to school. Teacher might bear it in mind for the next time