Gransnet forums

Relationships

cigarettes smell

(14 Posts)
Fran96 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:07:00

Hello, I have the problem - can't rid of the smell of cigarettes from my carpet, I tried all the cleaning products and ways, but there is no result. I have made it almost ideal as a new one, but this smell...I have read several articles about how to get the smoke smell out of the cars and houses (even found some super special sites like VapingDaily and articles about quitting smoking ) but all the ways are not helpful. So if you know a really good way or lifehack, please help me. Thank you!

EllanVannin Thu 28-Feb-19 14:33:04

Were you a smoker,Fran96 ?

MissAdventure Thu 28-Feb-19 14:37:01

I really think its impossible to get the smell out of some items.
Most people tolerate it as long as they can, then end up getting rid of items.

Anja Thu 28-Feb-19 15:13:39

Carpets do hold onto smells. I have to get rid of our last car because DH spilt milk in the carpet in the footwell and I didn’t clean it up immediately. Sour milk ??

MiniMoon Thu 28-Feb-19 15:15:31

When we moved into this house the carpet in the living room smelt like a stake pub. It was a good carpet, but the smell was overpowering. We pulled it up and threw it out in the end, as nothing we did to freshen it worked. We had to buy a new carpet.

MiniMoon Thu 28-Feb-19 15:16:05

Stale.

kittylester Thu 28-Feb-19 16:32:10

Welcome if you are new fran96.

Elegran Thu 28-Feb-19 16:41:06

I don't quite get the link with relationships.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Feb-19 17:30:17

Relationship with cigarettes maybe ?

Gettingitrightoneday Thu 28-Feb-19 18:05:13

Buy an inexpensive new carpet and wash down the walls.

There might be some substances to neutralise the tobacco stink.

crazyH Thu 28-Feb-19 21:13:33

Fran's Ex was probably a smoker ?

Starlady Sun 03-Mar-19 19:10:09

Welcome fran! Sorry about your problem. I agree with Gettingitrightoneday that you should simply get a new carper. I know you might not want to, but it might be the only way.

Starlady Sun 03-Mar-19 19:11:16

Also, in the future, I would put a post like this in the Home section or Ask a Gran. But no big deal.

M0nica Sun 03-Mar-19 19:15:45

DH and I are serial house improvers. From bitter experience, the one fault in a house that makes us immediately walk away, is previous occupation by a smoker.

We have twice had to deal with nicotine scented houses. The worst one, we had to have all the carpets and flooring out, refit the kitchen as well as redecorating every year as the brown and the paint came through.

Now we would sooner buy a house that is structurally unsafe than ever buy a smokers house again.