Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sunday lunch today

(130 Posts)
Hilmix Sun 17-Mar-19 15:43:38

Today I set about lunch early In an effort to please my husband
We were having rump steak, garlic stuffed mushrooms, tenderstem broccoli, carrots (as ever,) with onion gravy and my husband's favourite, roasties. I had asked if he is would like sweet potato wedges instead with the steak but he said 'no'.
After sitting down to it, he pronounced the steak to be tough ( it wasn't) I showed how it had the required amount of kindness through the middle so he then blamed his knife .
I offered to swap with my piece but he said there was no point in us both having tough steak
Then the broccoli was hard. Followed by a sulk when I mentioned that most veg tastes better when it isn't reduced to slop. Hush my mouth...
He pronounced the meal ok but enthused over the shop bought sticky toffee pudding and squirty cream we had for pudding.
I am now in my room trying to calm my thoughts. I think the time has come to insist on simple lunches on Sunday, no more the hours spent trying to please. I feel bad to be so upset considering the terrible things happening in the world just now but I feel totally useless...
PS I spent the morning listening to Leonard Cohen whilst preparing lunch when our usual scenario is for husband to watch John Wayne saving the Wild West or winning WW2 single-handed. Maybe me having my choice meant I had to be punished. Who knows?

bikergran Mon 18-Mar-19 17:31:14

My dad once complained many many moons ago to my mum about his baite (cheese sandwich) etc he said "the bread was too thin" hmm

Next day my mum bought an unsliced loaf. sliced it right down the middle and put a chunk of cheese in! smile wrapped it up! grin

He never said anything when he came home and never complained about his butties again lol..

Also if he dares to complain about "anything" on his plate she wont cook it again(hes 84 and learning not! to complain ) lol '

harrysgran Mon 18-Mar-19 17:16:56

Go out next Sunday and leave him a microwave meal he is rude and behaving like a spoilt child

Lilyflower Mon 18-Mar-19 17:16:29

Ready meals after that performance? Don't cook anything for him at all.

anxiousgran Mon 18-Mar-19 17:05:41

DH does most of our cooking. I would never criticise what he or anyone else took the trouble to make for me.
Mushy, tough or anything In between. I wouldn’t expect them to cook for me again if I did.

theoldgran26 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:01:00

"The Help" cake sounds as if it should sort things out. Good idea!

B9exchange Mon 18-Mar-19 16:58:29

OP hasn't come back, are you okay, have we frightened you off?

I once, in a state of post natal hormones, blew my top when having cooked mashed potatoes for the family, a certain member of them dared to say he didn't want them. I hurled the pan with full force into the sink and stormed out of the house.

When I came back an hour later they were as meek as lambs, and no one has criticised what I have provided since! grin

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 16:09:44

Tenderstem broccoli is inclined to be anything but tender. Did you microwave it? Never works.

Gonegirl Mon 18-Mar-19 16:06:45

I hate crunchy veg. Prefer mine properly cooked. ie soft.

Sheilasue Mon 18-Mar-19 15:41:01

Most veg has to be on the crunchy side now my dear mum always cooked all veg until it was mush, probably why I never liked veg in my younger days. Now it has the flavour it should have because it’s not boiled to mush. Perhaps that’s the problem your husband may have been brought up with mushy veg. My friends partner would never eat crunchy veg he was used to his mum cooking it for a good 30 minutes.

Hypnoticlady Mon 18-Mar-19 15:27:20

I think I would've tipped his dinner over his head or just thrown it in the bin and tell him to sort his own dinner out and carry on eating mine (I've practised the aforementioned on several occasions with both husbands .. and, no my cooking isn't that bad lol ! ) What a bully .. I would never stand for that insensitivity. I do hope you're ok now though ....

VIOLETTE Mon 18-Mar-19 15:25:15

Next Sunday ...book lunch at the pub ...he can complain to them !! (bet he doesn't !) ….my old man once THREW a lamb chop at the fresly decorated wall because he said it was tough and had the temerity to say mine wasn't …...I left the stain there for the next three years until we moved ...oh and all I said to him was 'I thought you were in the Navy'..which puzzled him enough to say Yes you know I was ….so I simply said Ohm Chocks (chops) away is an RAF expression ...so I wondered. I said no more but I wasn't happy !!!!

kwest Mon 18-Mar-19 15:23:06

I suspect you wrote partly in jest, but your post did ring alarm bells about pleasing him and being punished. Is this passive aggression on his part? Is he trying to control you?
Mind you, more than five minutes of Leonard Cohen would depress the hell out of me.

hdh74 Mon 18-Mar-19 15:11:36

Mine used to be exactly the same and I used to think I must be a terrible cook. Then our Dd started saying she preferred hers different to dad, which in one way made me realise that it was just his taste, but then I found myself never able to please both of them which was even worse. (in her mitigation our DD is disabled and was bed-bound at the time so couldn't cook).
Eventually I just said, well you two never agree so I'm making it how I like it and if either of you aren't happy you'll have to cook. (by this time our DD was able to potter about the house a bit with difficulty but as I have major health problems it was just as hard for me anyway).
So they did start to cook the odd meal. And at first I would shower them with praise. But after a while, I might say, the chilli is a bit hot for my taste so I'll just eat a little with a lot of the rice, but thank you very much for cooking it. They got the hint when it was done to them.
Now the rule seems to be. 'Thank you for a lovely meal' if we enjoy it, or 'thanks for cooking tonight' if not, and no more said unless the cook specifically asks.
But it has taken ages to 'train' them.

LuckyFour Mon 18-Mar-19 14:50:52

I feel like a maid sometimes. Spent all morning food shopping and looking for birthdays presents and cards. Came home, put shopping away, made lunch, washed up. DH sat at his computer throughout. Done nothing in the house whatsoever. This is fairly normal. I could scream.

Shortlegs Mon 18-Mar-19 14:44:28

I have to say, in listening to Leonard Cohen you have brought it on yourself!

narrowboatnan Mon 18-Mar-19 14:35:40

Hillmix - to make life easy for yourself be sure to use a ready baked pastry flan for the base of your ‘The Help’ recipe pie ? ???

Boosgran Mon 18-Mar-19 14:21:24

What a thoughtless and ungrateful man. I’d have flung his food in the bin and told him to make his own. I agree with others- give him a ready meal and just cook for yourself.

sandelf Mon 18-Mar-19 14:19:49

He may be the centre or your world but I don't think you are the centre of his...

seadragon Mon 18-Mar-19 14:17:18

Sore teeth, maybe? Just a thought.....

JoJo58 Mon 18-Mar-19 14:14:04

My hubby said that to me once !!! I promptly picked up his plate and put it in the bin, he has never complained since I wonder why grin .

Matriarch Mon 18-Mar-19 14:02:19

You are being treated appallingly !! Something has to change here . At the very least you deserve to be taken out for lunch next Sunday . Has he always been like this ?

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Mar-19 13:41:01

Find the most expensive restaurant you can and book you both in for lunch on Sunday. Make sure you have a starter and desert, and when he's presented with the bill, say how much you enjoyed the food, and not having to cook and suggest you make it a regular booking for your Sunday mealgrin.

4allweknow Mon 18-Mar-19 13:16:28

Show him the kitchen a d ask him to show you how it's done! As for the knife just buy a new set of cutlery, hopefully spending money will take the sharpness off his tongue.

GrandmaPam Mon 18-Mar-19 13:15:35

Leonard Cohen? No wonder you're depressed wink

Mumble2 Mon 18-Mar-19 13:12:24

Please don’t be upset.
Tough steak, my Mum used to say “it’s tougher where there’s none. He should be greatful that you cooked a lovely meal for him, and greatful for food on your table. Many people don’t have either.