Gransnet forums

Relationships

Alarm Bells Ringing?

(40 Posts)
CamJ Mon 25-Mar-19 17:07:58

Best Friend has just discovered DH is having an affair with much younger woman with four DC and two exes.
DH has already given given new woman significant amount of cash - my alarm bells are ringing are yours?

FarNorth Thu 04-Apr-19 14:32:56

That's terrible, CamJ.
Get some advice from a solicitor, or from Citizens' Advice, to protect yourself. flowers

crazyH Sat 30-Mar-19 21:16:00

Been there......awful time for you. Forget the emotions, get practical and above all, make sure you have every detail of your joint finances and if he has any accounts in his solo name, make sure he declares them. Tears can blind your vision.....no time for tears - you can do that once your finances are sorted. Good luck flowers

CamJ Sat 30-Mar-19 20:48:11

Grans please read my latest post to thank you.

CamJ Sat 30-Mar-19 09:27:25

Thank you Grans for all those helpful and supportive messages.
Yes many have read between the lines correctly. I have been through every emotion known to woman this week and am totally alone. If there was a senor railcard to use to go to hell and back I would have saved a bit of money this week - sorry I don't do emojis.
I can't give you any more details for fear of recognition but every day gets worse than the last. God help me and anyone else in this situation.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Mar-19 18:28:15

As CamJ is a new poster who hasn’t come back to elaborate do you realise we are probably all talking to ourselves??

FarNorth Thu 28-Mar-19 17:55:31

Are we talking about Best Friend's DH or yours, CamJ?

Either way, it sounds like a bit more than alarm bells should be involved.

crazyH Thu 28-Mar-19 17:46:29

Protect the marital finances. Ask your friend to see a solicitor. Most will offer a free half hour .

Lily65 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:34:54

BYO

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 15:19:47

MYOB

Startingover61 Wed 27-Mar-19 18:49:37

Thank you, Solitaire! I finally learned that life’s too short and leopards don’t change their spots! Onwards and upwards!

Solitaire Wed 27-Mar-19 17:26:17

startingover61 well done, the only way is up! Best wishes for your new life...never look back X

Startingover61 Wed 27-Mar-19 09:50:22

Having been in a similar position (for much too long) - and now happily divorced and completely rid of the serial adulterer to whom I was married for a long time - I’d advise getting legal advice as soon as possible (like NOW) and freezing any joint accounts so he can’t access (and possibly empty) them. Talking didn’t work with my ex, he was hell bent on going his own way and pleasing himself. I’m about to move into my own home (exchanged contracts this week) and am so looking forward to having it exactly as I want. Support from friends and family is crucial for anyone going through this sort of situation.

Saetana Wed 27-Mar-19 01:13:49

"and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee" en.wikisource.org/wiki/Meditation_XVII

Caro57 Tue 26-Mar-19 15:52:48

Be there for her but be very careful what you say about him / the situation. e.g my DS and partner separated, my ex DH told DS he was pleased as he never liked her. DS and partner are now back together - things are a bit tricky between DS and exDH!!

Lilyflower Tue 26-Mar-19 13:27:11

Frankly, in this case, the loss of the money is far worse than the loss of a selfish bounder. Secure the cash is my advice.

vickya Tue 26-Mar-19 11:21:46

Previous posters are right, secure your finances. Camj you should support your friend in doing this asap. Then she can decide how she feels and how she wants to go on. Putting some money out of his reach might make the husband think again if he wants his marriage to continue and the friend might think too. It would be good so secure the money before having a scene about it, if she has not yet done so.

harrigran Tue 26-Mar-19 11:13:31

The very reason most women have their own bank accounts. No man would ever buy favours with my cash.

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Mar-19 10:10:00

It's good to talk annodomini

annodomini Tue 26-Mar-19 09:08:56

They 'need to talk'.

kittylester Tue 26-Mar-19 08:42:26

And, what a good title for your thread!

kittylester Tue 26-Mar-19 08:41:49

No internet!!!!

Welcome op, if you are new!

Apricity Tue 26-Mar-19 01:47:00

More than alarm bells are ringing here, this is a case of for whom the bell tolls.....
Your friend is going to need lots of support, practical and emotional, advice offered only when asked for and a listening heart.

BlueBelle Mon 25-Mar-19 23:16:28

My alarm bells are saying is this ................

Day6 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:42:29

Hmmm. I am surprised the OP had to ask the question.

I'd say let him have his fun, boys will be boys, and his wife can turn a blind eye to it all. And smash those pesky alarm bells with a hammer. Not.

Sigh. hmm

Ginny42 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:40:43

Oh dear and the worst feeling is that everyone probably knew about it but you. So now she needs to be practical and as sodapop says, get the finances separated. If she's planning to divorce him then there are immediate steps she must take to secure her future. She's probably in shock at the moment, but this is where friends can support her to stay focused on her needs. Legal advice is essential and you could offer to go along with her for support. The best thing you can do to help your friend is just be there to listen.