Gransnet forums

Relationships

Verbal abuse to me in front of Grandkids by their Mother

(38 Posts)
Bubbylichous Sun 14-Apr-19 20:38:04

My 5 year old granddaughter likes to cook... one morning we had stayed over to take her and her little brother on an outing. She was making tea and had made an herbal tea bag selection when she decided to add a bag of liquorice tea from another box to her creation as well to her 2 year old brothers. I have been an amateur herbalist for years and I cringe at feeding little children liquorice root. There is lots on line about this. however, my daughter, a fully trained and licensed dietician, scolded me for interfering, then proceeded to call me a "liar" - several times- when I told my Granddaughter that liquorice can make one "poop-a-lot" thinking of our special day ahead at a public museum with busy washrooms and sometimes less than clean diaper change tables ( liquorice is in fact it is for sore throats but it has effects on the digestive system and has been used for constipation as well- in any case it is an ancient medicine that needs to be used carefully- as it was the little one had to have his diaper changed twice from loose bowels in an hour.) I have long ago ceased to talk about any herb or food with my know-it-all career focused daughter. I keep very quiet and would rather be happy then be right as Dr. Phil shares daily. However, my husband also witnessed this harshly stated accusation of "lying" and "twisting the truth". This is not the first time my daughter has attacked me in front of our grandkids. Last year at this time she threw her birthday gifts back in my face- .. a month later she was on good terms with us. Never apologized. In a phone call yesterday to broche the incident, she now tells me I have lied to her all her life! Sadly I did lie once... I told her if she did not like school in grade one she did not have to go. Who would have thought that this Ivy League Sport Queen full-scholarships individual would still be angry with me all these years later? I could not afford to home school my kids although I wanted to. Now my Granddaughter goes to an overcrowded underfunded public school with about 90 different nationalities and now speaks English with a new lisp! As a teacher in the same region I think my daughter is dismissive of my granddaughters education and this is her way of getting me back! Especially when her and her spouse could afford the best of private education, own many properties and travel 4-5 times a year. I don't care about the liquorice- I am fully respectful of the Parental decision even if I disagree. That adults do not always agree is healthy for kids to see as long as it is done respectfully. However, do I call her out on abusive name calling and risk losing contact with my Grandkids? I have worked hard to suck up a great deal of intolerance and criticism since my Granddaughter was born. But that day I felt my granddaughters eyes burning through me, like I was now suspect and all the stories of leprechauns and elves were all suspect as was the pumpkins we grow, the worm composter she loves to care for with me. My daughter seems to be hunting for ways to keep her small town parents out of her life without looking bad herself. Or do I let it ride and let the entire mess calm down and get swept under the rug as usual. Do I remain Cowardly or Stand up at such sensitive risk?

MissAdventure Sun 06-Oct-19 20:06:06

grin

Chewbacca Sun 06-Oct-19 20:02:49

Bully for you EvelynHarper, but you're post has been reported as spam.

EvelynHarper Sun 06-Oct-19 19:54:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tedber Sun 05-May-19 19:58:24

I think you need to back track a bit on this to get to the root of the problems.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a 5 year old, under supervision, making herbal tea and yes you are correct liquorice is a laxative BUT just how much is there in one bag of tea?

OP maybe the problem is you are both too opinionated? Have you heard of the saying "least said, soonest mended"? Sometimes you really don't have to get your opinion across.

I am not having a dig at you in any way but I sense you have your own opinions as to how your grandchildren should be brought up and voice them often?

You seem to have a fabulous relationship with your grandchildren - cooking, gardening etc. Please don't jeopardise this. My advice would be to keep schtum when you disagree with your daughter's parenting/choices. I am of the opinion, grandparents simply do not intervene unless there is abuse involved of course.

Callistemon Wed 01-May-19 23:02:27

Surely not raspberry leaf tea? shock

Bubbylichous Tue 30-Apr-19 18:54:57

So interesting all of you. Yes I have been making herbal tea for my granddaughter since she could hold a cup. She likes to drink raspberry or hibiscus with a spoon of honey and an ice cube to cool it. But this was not my house and the licorice tea was already on the counter. I have a background with herbs and I reacted. Sorry for the excess rant...but I love the unbiased feedback. Thank you Alexia...I need reminders sometimes just to let go.

petra Fri 26-Apr-19 22:51:06

urmstongran
I'm with you. Too much navel gazing on the mother & daughters part.

jeanie99 Thu 25-Apr-19 07:27:57

I don't know about the poo situation but I would be horrified to think my 5 yr old grandson was attempting to take boiling water to make tea.

Grammaretto Wed 24-Apr-19 02:34:08

A mother's place is in the wrong! This isn't always true but I can easily be in trouble with my DD so I can appreciate what you say.

I have to remember that it's not all about me
I've done my best. It's her turn now. I have to bite my tongue when I long to make a suggestion.
Life with little ones is exhausting and it's easy to forget how all encompassing everyday childcare is when you no longer have to do it.
Even if you can afford help you are still the loving, responsible parent and can do without remarks from even well meaning GPs.

Joyfulnanna Wed 24-Apr-19 00:18:27

I liked to make my parents a cup of tea when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old. I did this unsupervised. Surely licorice tea is an acquired taste as is normal tea. I don't know many youngsters that would choose it so I get the impression that the tea thing is something that bubbi's family like to have so the children want to be involved. Please don't fall out over tea or what your DD has said in front of the GC. Just make a joke of it, so the GC realise it is nothing to worry about. Don't risk being estranged just to put your point across, it's not worth it..take it from someone who knows the heartbreak of estrangement.

Dinahmo Wed 24-Apr-19 00:14:48

Bubbylichous - I don't think I've read such a self centred post. Is it possible that your daughter didn't like the way in which you brought her up? Every generation has a different viewpoint on child rearing and no doubt your grandchildren (I hate the word grandkids) will rear their own children in a different way.

It sounds as though your daughter is a high achiever - is it possible there is some jealousy here?

Callistemon Tue 23-Apr-19 23:01:18

Badenkate grin
that's probably why it tastes so awful

Callistemon Tue 23-Apr-19 23:00:33

I've never had tea made by a 5 year old, although DD was taught to make hot drinks when she was a Brownie (probably about 9 or 10) and was always asking if she could make us a brew at home.

I have only very recently started asking my 15 YEAR OLD granddaughter to make me a cuppa.
crazyH - does she not do any cookery at school involving hot pans, hot water?

Badenkate Tue 23-Apr-19 22:13:43

I wouldn't worry about the boiling water - I've never had tea made in the US with boiling water.

Callistemon Tue 23-Apr-19 20:31:41

Granarchist - How to make Iced Tea

It is a BBC recipe but I dare say that American recipes are very similar. All without a kettle - just a large saucepan of boiling water!
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1399634/iced-tea

Callistemon Tue 23-Apr-19 20:25:09

You can't make iced tea with iced or even just cold water - it has to be made hot then cooled down.

Some of the phrases are beyond me, I'm afraid - some of the posts sound as if they have been translated from a foreign language by a computer.

Granarchist Sat 20-Apr-19 10:56:01

BlueBelle have you never heard of iced tea??? In the US it is very common. I think there are crossed wires here.

Starlady Sat 20-Apr-19 07:44:13

I'm glad you appreciate our comments, Bubbylichous, and that you seem to really be giving them some thought. Also, I think it's very honest of you to admit you fear being "unrecognized" by dd. I suspect she feels the same way vice versa, that you don't respect her knowledge as a dietician or her autonomy as an adult. You may have to be the one to let go of your expectations (of being seen as "wise," etc.) because it just seems to be backfiring and causing unnecessary drama. Believe me, she knows you're very smart and capable. Now, imo, she needs to see that you feel the same about her. Good on you for rethinking this!

Alexa Wed 17-Apr-19 09:08:34

PS discretion is the better part of valour may be a useful meme for you

Alexa Wed 17-Apr-19 09:05:23

Sure liquorice is laxative . You seem to be doing well as a grandmother.

I suppose how you handle your daughter depends how you usually relate to one another. I'd want to tell her to go and read up on the properties of liquorice. I am afraid that there is no way you can stop her insulting you in front of her children, and you will have to be a martyr to it. The children will remember your forbearance when they are older.

Urmstongran Wed 17-Apr-19 07:36:10

I too found this highly entertaining.
I do love the American way of describing self as in ....

‘...not take outside negativity as reflective of who I am’

?

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-19 06:40:31

A 5 year old making her own tea and then suggested it’s ok as you supervise and use ice cubes? well she wasn’t very well supervised if she added liquorice bags without being seen and the baby drank them (as you say you had to change his nappies twice in an hour) !!
So your 2 year old loves a trip to a museum? ?
What on earth is this about, a post littered with wonderful little boasts (are we supposed to be impressed) daughters a fully trained and licensed dietician, Ivy League sports queen on a full scholarship, daughter and husband own many properties and travel 4 or 5 times a year What has any of this got to do with your story?
Then there is this little gem granddaughter goes to an overcrowded, underfunded public school with 90 different nationalities and now speaks English with a new lisp ?? lucky girl, but where does the lisp come into it
Then we have a paragraph about burning eyes, leprechauns, pumpkins, elves and worm composters !!

This is a totally bizarre post, but very entertaining first thing in the morning

Bubbylichous Wed 17-Apr-19 02:41:40

I love this support. I am so grateful to all for taking this time to look at this event from all sides. In the past few days I have come to realize that I am just afraid of being unrecognized by my daughter...I think I had a fantasy that one day I would be wise in her eyes. This has become less a reality as I did not avail myself to be childcare as she needed. That is another thread. Yes I became defensive and angry. BUT I have decided to be happy with what I know and not take outside negativity as reflective of who I am. However I also understand that I was not sufficiently mindful of my daughter's presence and absolutely needed to address my concern to Mom and not my Gd. Many thanks for Wise Women like you all.

Bubbylichous Wed 17-Apr-19 02:25:42

No, she makes it with supervision (MINE)and ice cubes.

Bubbylichous Wed 17-Apr-19 02:23:10

Oh such wisdom. I will work on this in a mirror. Thank You!