Gransnet forums

Relationships

What to do when an old friendship becomes difficult

(29 Posts)
newgran2019 Sat 27-Apr-19 13:03:54

That's a good idea, maryeliza, but my friend and I have very different ideas on how to enjoy ourselves (they have a very frugal lifestyle and don't do much 'just for fun'), so I don't know how I would approach it. They do very little apart - though he does go abroad for work a lot!

I think Sara65 is right, but am reluctant to say so to my friend!

maryeliza54 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:48:42

It sounds as though they live at a distance which therefore involves a stay over - that’s tricky. Any chance of you and her meeting up halfway for lunch or having a ‘girls’ only night away? That’s how I solved my problem with a friend with a dreadful husband. It might work well with just the two of you

Sara65 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:42:10

Sad, but sometimes friendships just run their course

newgran2019 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:34:40

My best friend from college (my bridesmaid and my daughter's godmother), for whom I had the greatest respect and affection, is married to an overbearing, dogmatic man who won't let anyone have an opinion that doesn't accord with his. Last time they stayed with us we found we had nothing in common any more apart from our daughter (and as they couldn't have children one can't talk about family too much for fear of offence), they were either silent or critical, and the whole weekend was so stressful that we have avoided seeing them since. Yet I feel bad about this, as my friend once meant so much to me. I'd welcome advice on the best/kindest way of dealing with this!