Gransnet forums

Relationships

not allowed to see grand daughter

(162 Posts)
nannytracey Mon 29-Apr-19 16:10:20

hi all i am new
i am looking for some advise about mediation . i have a lovely family. 6 beautiful grandchildren and unfortunately one of my daughters has stopped me from seeing my grand daughter , due to a new love in her life , and its awful , not only have i been stopped but the entire family so my grand daughter has lost her aunt's uncles cousins and me, i have tried every way to get communications back but nothings working,
so i went to cab and they have suggested i go down the mediation route any thoughts ?

nannytracey Sat 04-May-19 18:21:57

thankyou joyfulnanna you have a good weekend too x

Joyfulnanna Sat 04-May-19 18:05:47

Good analysis starlady. I wish you all the best NT..I don't think what you did was in anyway wrong..have faith, they will come round..have a lovely weekend everyone..xx

nannytracey Sat 04-May-19 17:28:27

yes thats exactly it
i was shocked
put my foot in it big time
with no intention of doing so
i cant really talk to kids about it as
i dont want to cause rifts
felt like i was going mad
so thankyou ladies
i feel better its off my chest
lets hope she might want her family again soon
thanks again

Starlady Sat 04-May-19 01:00:09

"it was my daughter who said it was ok to go round maybe he didnt want i really "

This^^ is what I think. Not your fault. DD should have discussed it with him before she said yes. But I take it neither or you were used to her having a man in the house. Imo, everyone needed to adjust. Sorry they didn't realize that.

"i just said like hey calm down like theres no need for that "

I get why you said this^^^. He definitely seems to have overreacted. Unless he has asked gd to be more careful before and was reacting on that basis. It probably would haven been better if you hadn't tried to tell him how to act, but I'm sure you realize that now, hindsight is 20/20.

"notanan mentioned that i didnt sound like nan i sounded like a parent
and in alot of respects thats true."

Yes, I take it that in many ways you've been like another parent to gd. Plus, you say you're used to helping out with the discipline with all your gc and their parents welcome it. So I can see where it felt totally "normal" to you to step in when you felt bf was being too hard on gd. I really feel you were just being a loving gm doing what she's used to doing - and suddenly, it backfired on you! I am so, so sorry!

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 20:41:39

Odd, phoenix ??

BettyWhite Fri 03-May-19 20:39:27

Ugh, ok so it sounds like your granddaughter was being a normal silly child and accidentally stepped on his toe. It also sounds like the BF majorly overreacted by disciplining so harshly for an accident. I know it's hard to see your GD treated unfairly, but it's best to leave the discipline to the parental figures. Now you know not to interject.

You said you sent your daughter an email (right? Am I getting threads mixed up?) laying it all out there and she hasn't responded. What were the contents of the email? Did you plainly apologize for overstepping, or did you try to justify or defend your actions?

westerlywind Fri 03-May-19 20:35:39

What is making you unhappy Phoenix?

phoenix Fri 03-May-19 18:41:10

Not happy about this..........

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:34:28

it was my daughter who said it was ok to go round maybe he didnt want i really dont know
ive only met him on a couple of occasions
as he didnt really get involved in family before
i dont really know him
i only know bits my daughter told me
never got the opportunity to get to know him
as a family he was invited to family occasions
because of work commitments and things he didnt come

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:26:18

when i say pratting i mean just her normal self
singing dancing just normal happy gran daughter
i just thought it was a bit over the top
but i have learnt my lesson

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:20:06

all i wanted to do was just get back to normal we dont normally fall out

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:15:33

reason for discipline she was pratting and she trod on his toe he sargeant majored her shouting up to her room
she was in her room when he asked me to leave

icanhandthemback Fri 03-May-19 18:14:57

I have found that often my kids complain about each other's omissions but it can soon turn into a hornet's nest if I try to build bridges between the two of them. You find your good intentions soon get twisted and you alienate someone. It's probably best to let the parents deal with the upset of their child rather than you trying to get your daughter to see the error of their ways.
I can remember my daughter being really upset when her brother forgot her child's Birthday and he was dismissive of her feelings. I did try to talk to him but it just caused upset so I left it with a, "When you have your own children, you'll understand what I mean." He does now!

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 18:13:37

i just said like hey calm down like theres no need for that
he replied i think you should leave
i asked why should i leave surely you cant tell me to leave
he told me he was the provider and i should leave
then when i got to the front door i was told that i have no need to there
i am not wanted nor needed
and i left

BettyWhite Fri 03-May-19 17:57:36

Nannytracy, what exactly happened when you tried to diffuse the situation? How wss BF disciplining GD and what did you do? Did you and daughter get into an argument when you interfered with the discipline? Maybe you can explain what transpired in a little more detail so I can get a better idea of what led to this estrangement.

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 17:18:41

and they have husbands , partners , they are not single mums

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 17:17:00

my other kids are forever ringing me and moaning about their kids especially the older ones
saying will you have a word
thats what we do
nans seem to have more pull for some reason
the grandkids listen lol

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 17:10:50

notanan mentioned that i didnt sound like nan i sounded like a parent
and in alot of respects thats true
as icanhandthemback said being a single mum is lonely hard work
and my daughter asked for help
so daughter would pick her daughter up on naughty behaviour and then moan at me about it
so i would explain to grand daughter why thats not good why she shouldnt be naughty
as my daughter said frequently gd doesnt listen
and it worked for all her little life it worked
thats how they learn
thats the way i see it

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 16:51:20

the real crunch of no more access was the last time i see my gd
when she told me she was unhappy
which was 3 months ago
and therapy at school involved
previous to that before i got thrown out
and i looked after her alot
most w ends she would say
all they do is shout at me
bearing in mind she is rebeling as life has changed
so i would say
you have to be good
i would talk to her mum they would resolve it
this went on for weeks
little niggles
my daughter decided the grand daughter would be reprimanded by both but they would take turns as that way gd wouldnt feel picked on
as i said i picked a bad day
i had a day off went shopping
text daughter
fancy putting kettle on
im having a nice chilled day off
yeah she not busy
then i witnessed it was bf turn to reprimand
as i said i tried to defuse
if he can reprimand in front of me the way he did
god knows whats its like when im not there
no violence just down right nasty
thank god for therapy and school involvement
everyone has there own way
i beleive in positive ways
as two negatives never make a positive
i also believe there are boundaries u need to love a child before you can reprimand
mayb im just old fashioned
i totally blame myself
as if i hadnt have had that day off and gone in for a cuppa i probably wouldnt be here now
but in my defence i wasnt aware the rules had changed
it was just like any other day to me

nannytracey Fri 03-May-19 16:16:19

make amends
what to say
pretty much along the lines of
we cant argue thats what got us here
and possibly sort the whole mess out
but then in reality we didnt argue
my daughter agreed with the bf
i respect that
i dont live that life
i want all my kids to be settled ,happy safe and secure
us mums wont be around forever
i still see gd
she spoke to her siblings
then family occasions came up w have had 4 in 5 months
2 bdays, mums day easter
i sibling bday. 1 grandson bday
as the whole family work school we dont get together all together very much
so on such occasions its special
no bday wishes no text no cards
my grandson was 6, as my grandkids range from 1 yrs to 12yrs
he was so upset where was his aunty where was grand daughter not even a message wishing him happy bday
so most of my communication to my daughter was about the knock on affect this situation made
and how horrible it was for everyone
starlady yes she had to stay in hospital for a few days but fine now
i do hope to god that it is just something thats got out of hand
and nothing more sinister
and of course when we are needed we are always there no matter what
she knows that

Starlady Fri 03-May-19 09:16:13

Excellent post, icanhandthemback!

Starlady Fri 03-May-19 09:15:40

"...hopefullys you can make amends soon."

That might just be the friend trying to be kind or encouraging, but it might mean something. If you had the opportunity to make amends, do you have any idea of what you would do/say?

"the last words he said me you have no need to be here
you are not wanted or needed"

Ouch! But those words were said in the heat of anger. Maybe they express what he really feels, but maybe it's just the kind of thing he says when he's mad (not a good trait, of course, if that's so).

"i see my my daughters bf at least 3 times a week
and its like we are complete strangers."

He might be embarrassed about how he acted the last time. Or (sigh) he might simply not want anything to do with you. Hopefully, though, things will improve between you and ydd, and you'll be able to have a relationship with her and gd sans bf.

Imo, there are a lot of red flags in ydd's relationship with bf. But as others have said, she'll have to realize that on her own. Just please be there for her if/when she does.

Starlady Fri 03-May-19 09:01:20

Glad you appreciate my points, ican and Joyful!

Tracey, I'm so sorry ydd was ill and hope she's much better now. How beautiful that her sisters rallied to help her that way!

I'm glad you sent that Easter card to gd, and I hope ydd didn't hide it from her. Ydd may be annoyed, but, as I said earlier, if it will reassure gd you're still in her life, that's a good thing. And yes, I know she knows you love her, regardless.

icanhandthemback Thu 02-May-19 23:41:38

Give her time, nannytracey, she is torn between your relationship with her and her relationship with her partner. Being a single parent is a lonely job and she probably sees the chance of being happy. We might realise that it is almost impossible to be happy with a control freak but she is still hoping that he'll be Prince Charming. It is more common than you think but be patient and I am sure you will be the one who is helping her pick up the pieces when it has all blown up in her face.
Years ago, I fell out with a family member when she fell for someone much younger than her who was obviously using her to get a British Passport and I also had suspicions about his boundaries with children. It came between us in a way I couldn't believe and, if I am honest, I couldn't understand why she couldn't see it but she was vulnerable as a lonely, single mother. I can remember my very sensible 16 year old daughter saying to me to keep my mouth shut and just to be there when it all went wrong. It took about 2 years but it all went to hell in a hand basket eventually and there were a lot of pieces to pick up to put her back together. I desperately wanted to say, "I told you," but she needed more support than that.

nannytracey Thu 02-May-19 22:53:45

ah i see never thought of it that way tbh
he just sort of made himself at home after the first meeting
gradually moved things in
she complained alot she needed space and was forever telling me
he doesnt listen
moved his dog in
it wasnt on the books so to speak
she worked
the bills her responsibility
he had a home just never went there
she lost one of her jobs
eventually he moved in on the books
funny enough the day the first rent payment was due to go out of his bank was the day he threw me out
i did question him by saying u cant just throw me out
the reply was i provide
my daughter just cried
its was like the last 27 yrs just disregarded
gone