Gransnet forums

Relationships

No family nearby

(77 Posts)
NannyB2604 Wed 19-Jun-19 23:02:12

This is just me letting off steam, no sympathy expected.
It just struck me today, how isolated I am from my immediate family. DS, DiL and DGD live abroad, 1000s of miles away (though we communicate regularly and visit each other whenever we can); DB and his family about 100 miles away and all have busy lives, very little free time for visits or even just chatting; DS and her family live in Kent (we're in Yorkshire) and as DS has a job and doesn't drive, and train fares being as they are, has visited us up here less than half a dozen times in 30 odd years. When we visit her, which we have done several times, we have to stay in a hotel as she lives in a tiny flat (those ridiculous southern property prices!).
Is this other people's experience or are we just a weird family?
As I said, not looking for answers or sympathy, but just wondering about others' family experiences.

NanaSuzy Wed 01-Jan-20 09:48:20

We lived a lonely life in our working days, DH's family all in South Africa, my parents in Yorkshire and us in Middlesex for DH's job. But we spent a lot of time with our 2 sons travelling to and from the grandparents, saw as much of them as possible. But I did really envy people who'd got their family near. Life moved on, older generation sadly died and both sons moved North. No way was I embarking on another phase of life travelling up and down the M1, so, being retired and free agents, we've moved to Derbyshire living midway between the 2 DS. Loving it, see one DS every week, other DS, D-inL and beloved GD every 3 weeks or so. So happy and blessed and deeply grateful. I've also been able to get out in our new area, smashing line dancing group, taken up playing recorder again in 2 groups. Living the best life I've ever had, and count my blessings every single day. Sadly estranged from my brother but it's his loss. All good wishes to those who struggle with distance from their families, I endured it for years and know their pain. Happy New Year to all.

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 23:56:23

NannyB2604
My family is the same.
Five of them and none nearer than 150 miles away. We manage, just about.

annep1 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:17:17

Family are the most important thing to me too. I lived beside my husbands large extended family..aunts cousins nieces nephews I loved it. Sadly we divorced and it all ended. My children loved it too. I've done my best to keep our family close but my children don't feel the same. I once suggested renting a huge house with a pool and they could all bring their children together. It sounded lovely. No one was interested. My daughter laughed and said she couldn't think of anything worse!

Ziggy62 Fri 21-Jun-19 12:00:42

Tillybelle
what a lovely post xx

narrowboatnan Fri 21-Jun-19 11:04:48

I don't think you're a weird family at all. I have two adult children, both are married and have families of their own. Both live in the same town in Shropshire and we live on our boat in Norfolk. My DD has never visited us here, and I wouldn't expect her to as I know what a nightmare the journey would be in a car with three small children. My DS and his family surprised me with a visit on my birthday last year and we went out for lunch, which was nice. I bought myself an old fogies rail card which gets me a third (a whole £30!) off the train fare and I go and visit them roughly four times a year. I have been pretty lucky in finding somewhere to stay as I have good friends in the area who are willing to give me a bed for the weekend. I did stay with my DS and his family a couple of times, but they have moved house and no longer have a spare room and I object to sleeping on the settee (somehow they are never quite long enough, are they?). We are in contact through Facebook, messenger and Facetime so we are not strangers. Sometimes I wish I could be closer to them, but we are settled here now, like living in the middle of nowhere and have no plans to move until we get to old and decrepit to manage boat life. So really, we are no more weird than you feel that you are!

hondagirl Fri 21-Jun-19 08:32:55

Thank you so much Tillybelle for your kind words. I only moved to this area with my husband about 3 years ago (it's a long story as we moved here to Australia to be with our family but they have now moved away). I have got a few acquaintances who I have met through a coffee group I started going to shortly before DH was diagnosed but I didn't really have time to develop any real friendships as my time was taken up looking after him. Yes, my children have suggested I should get a dog, but we have had many dogs in the past and I just think it would be too tying. Reading many of the posts on here has made me realise I am not the only one and that I should not really feel sorry for myself, but it's still hard as I am going through the grieving process and feel it would help if I could just give my grandchildren a hug every day!

MaggieMay69 Fri 21-Jun-19 00:01:31

I'm alone, well, aside my husband. My DD lives over 5 hours drive away with my 4 DGC, I can't drive and have just today been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, so find it hard to just get on a coach and visit. My son lives agbout the same distance, but he does the occasional visit. I feel cut off, and would love to live nearer my daughter, I miss her dreadfully, however, money being what it is, and despite working since I was 15, I pretty much have nothing to show for it thanks to my ex getting us in serious debt, so, I never see my family.
I try with seeing them online, but its not the same, I can't move nearer as my daughter lives in the SE, and like you said, its so bloody expensive, my DD lives in a 2 bed home with four children and a husband and they have to sleep on the sofa, so I can't even go and stay for a few days.
I do wish I lived nearer. My DD says I view the world like it should be Coronations Street with everyone living on the same road, but all I want is a little company and to see my GC grow up. x
Sadly it seems there are a few of us that aren't near family...I do wish that wasn't so. x

Starlady Thu 20-Jun-19 23:35:32

DH and I live fairly close to DD and her family, so we're lucky there. But much of the rest of our extended families are spread about or in other countries. We keep in touch with those we feel close to, but don't get to see each other in person as much as we'd like. People are more mobile these days, I think, and families are more spread out. Just how things are. You're not "weird" OP.

Juliet27 Thu 20-Jun-19 23:02:20

Well said skate

skate Thu 20-Jun-19 22:46:58

Well, don't all these posts prove that we are all muddling along just doing the best we can in the circumstances in which we find ourselves. Trying to forget the bad stuff and soldiering on is the way to go. I think we've mostly cracked it!

Jaye53 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:51:45

So glad you came back Tillybelle.Well I enjoyed reading your good advice too. Yes I agree that animals are truly wonderful companions arnt they. Bless you dear.

TwiceAsNice Thu 20-Jun-19 21:36:21

My parents are long dead but I remember lots of fun with aunties and cousins when I was a child . One grandmother lived a short car ride away ( 2 buses until dad got a car when I was 11) the other grandparents lived within walking distance and we saw them most days.

There is 7 years between my brother and myself we’ve never been close and he contacted me less and less until he stopped, he didn’t respond to my contacting him ever so I gave up. I haven’t seen him now for several years but in honesty I don’t miss him

I used to live 150 miles from my children but have moved in the last few years and now live in the next street from them which is marvellous and see my grandchildren often so am now very happy

NannyB2604 Thu 20-Jun-19 21:02:13

Wow! Thanks everybody for sharing so many different experiences of being family. I'm just so grateful for the lovely friends we have (Just back from a great holiday with 2 of them) so maybe it doesn't matter so much that I don't see much of my 'actual' family. All the best everybody ?

jenkins Thu 20-Jun-19 19:50:03

Everyone lost family in the war

Juliet27 Thu 20-Jun-19 19:38:52

Both my children and three grandchildren live in Australia. I'm an 'orphan' as is my husband. I have a brother who lives half a year in Lincoln ((I'm in Sussex) and the other half in the Philippines and I see him once in a blue moon. We see my husband's brother rarely - mainly when he gives us a lift to the airport when we visit Australia. We have a few cousins somewhere but only keep in touch with a card at Christmas. And that's about it...definitely not a close family!

NainFron Thu 20-Jun-19 19:23:57

Tillybelle. Your story warmed my heart. There is hope for us all to find happiness if we search in the right place. Thank you for sharing x

Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 18:54:40

skate. I think you deserve the Common Sense and Well-adjusted Prize! You are a lesson to us all! ?

Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 18:46:30

mcem. Thank you! It's people like you who make it worthwhile!

Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 18:44:22

Just to say thinking of you hondagirl. I remember you saying on a thread not long ago that you lost your husband very recently. So sorry you are feeling cut off. I wish I could help! Are there any people you know around you whom you could meet? I know there are some groups that have coffee mornings and tea in my area, but I am not very good at pushing myself to go out as it's difficult.
Try and keep yourself going with things to do so you don't let yourself get low. I listen to the radio during the day. Bless you, my love. take care.
With love and best wishes, Elle ???
P.S. This may not be a good idea or suitable for you, but just in case it might be a useful suggestion, I'll say that my little dogs are really the reason why I don't get terribly depressed. Having a pet is very good company and uplifting, if it is suitable for you. ?

Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 18:26:14

I've just finished reading "The Cut-Out Girl". It made me realise how our feelings of belonging develop in childhood. Yet the people with whom we stay may not be family, as with this little Jewish girl, but her need to belong remained so strong. The accident of birth or of with whomsoever we stay while we are growing up, apparently gives us a sense of who we are.

Yet the greatest influence seems not to be the amount of contact but the warmth of the relationship. When a relationship is disjointed, or an adult behaves in a hurtful way, a child may feel cast out for life and always feel they never had a family to which they belonged.

mcem Thu 20-Jun-19 18:22:12

tilly - what lovely, kind and supportive post. I'm glad you tried again and are so forgiving.
A feisty and independent lady. ? ☕? flowers Take your pick!

Tillybelle Thu 20-Jun-19 18:10:25

NannyB2604
I know you've had enough examples now to be reassured that you are not weird! Or if you are weird, so are very many of us!!

I have a friend who phones me rather a lot. She regularly asks if my children have been in touch. For some reason this question never comes across in a benign way as if she is just enquiring after them. She always says something to the effect that they "can't be bothered" with me. Yet she does not know them. As a family, my children and I don't need to keep phoning or texting unless there is something to say. We know everything is going along as usual. I suppose, as I live alone, I could kick the bucket and nobody would know. But I have an arrangement with a neighbour opposite - merely because I have dogs and don't want them to be left on their own. Anyway on the "weird" topic - no, my family don't get in touch much. My house has been wrecked by a builder and will take ages to make safe for the little children anyway. We all live a long way from each other so visiting requires overnight stays. I don't like travelling now. So that is that. I don't see anyone - sometimes for over a week. I go to the local shops for my food and have to do that on the days I am well enough to get out. I meet one or two people then. I used to go to church but I can't park near enough now.

Funnily enough I am happy on my own. I can pace myself. I had a hard time when I was married. It was so stressful. So now I try to reduce stress and get by as best I can.

You are not a weird family dear Nanny B2604. Some people are so full of their family and seeing their grandchildren it does make things look as if it is not normal to not see them very much. And of course, those people who see their DGC are naturally happy about it and want to tell us, it would be unusual for a GP not to talk about their DGC! But there are a vast number of us with families spread far-afield and for whom contact is just too difficult, so we very rarely see them.

When you asked if you were weird, I immediately remembered when I first came to GNet. I thought I would leave because I felt so terribly out of place and as if I did not belong. Indeed I felt as if the people who encountered me at the beginning really did not like me and resented me too. I felt so different. For example, I do not see my grandchildren very much least of all look after them every week, I do not mow my lawn and dig the borders, I do not go to Stately Homes or visit places of interest. I do not have bike rides, walk a mile a day, go on a cruise, have a husband to make a cup of tea for, the many things that were being discussed around the time I joined were all the things I could not share anecdotes about. I was widowed at the age of 42 with children at school and far from the terribly loss being mentioned a lot on these pages, I had battled on, working and raising children, alone for 20 years. I was given short-shrift when I said I did not go out. The reason being that I cannot get out except with a lot of pain and difficulty, as I have been disabled for quite a long time now and live alone. I thought joining would be a way f contacting people. But quickly I felt I did not qualify, everyone seemed so active, busy with outings and visits and seeing grandchildren and gardening. Then my quite simple discussion idea was given such a sharp put-down
with such a personal attack on me. It was just one person but it was the sharpest and most unwarranted attack - the shock of this hit me out of the blue very badly. It wouldn't have been more of a shock if a dragon had appeared in my kitchen and seared off my skin with a roar of flaming breath! Even though the scorn poured on me by this particular response was due to an assumption that was not true, I just shrivelled up inside and crawled back into the privacy of my quiet little life which I share with nobody, where I seldom talk to anybody and in which I live away from the busy, chattering, social realm of the world outside. The things that were written stayed in my head for months and I could not bear to look on GransNet again for a long time.
Now I know there are many people quite the opposite of those I encountered in that early endeavour into the world that is GransNet. I am glad I came back under a different name and gave it another try.

There are all sorts of people in the world and to think someone is weird because their circumstances are different to yours is obviously not acceptable and really not something you find very often here! In fact I'd say just about never!

Just live your life making the best of it as you can, is my way. Make friends when and where you can. Help anyone you possibly can. Enjoy the simple things. Yesterday my roses smelled so wonderful it absolutely made my day! Ignore anyone who chooses not to appreciate you. Be happy if you can!
I am lucky because I had an experience that taught me that God is truly Love and is right here all around us. So I never feel alone. I know how lucky I am to have had that experience and I know others don't believe it so I try not to put them off by talking about it too much. But believe me - we are truly loved and not alone!
Don't worry! Anyway what's wrong with being weird? To be weird is to be normal!!

skate Thu 20-Jun-19 18:10:20

I am a widow with one son who lives in America and is completely estranged - don't know why. He long ago refused all contact. So I do envy those with family/children nearby who see each other often. On the plus side I have a lovely brother who lives 50 miles away and is in regular contact. Luckily I am fairly self sufficient and make the best of things. Nobody has the perfect set up - at least I don't have to pander to tricky husbands or warring children! Or worry about grandchildren - haven't got any!

sodapop Thu 20-Jun-19 17:41:08

Yes families are much more wide spread nowadays. It's good that our children have more opportunities to live and work in different areas and countries. I don't have any extended family at all but my husband does, they are often at odds with each other so I don't feel I'm missing out. I have good friends and enjoy my life, I am lucky in that I am quite self sufficient.

fluttERBY123 Thu 20-Jun-19 17:02:53

Children and grandchildren all live within an hour's drive. We see less and less of them as children growing up and we are not needed so much for sitting. They all have busy lives. I speak to them on the phone more than I see them. We have family gettogethers but they are fewer and fewer it seems - the natural order of things.