Gransnet forums

Relationships

Dont want to upset anyone

(37 Posts)
Sweetpea60 Thu 10-Oct-19 11:25:18

After a terrible year last year my son and his partner vgot me an adorable spaniel puppy the type of dog ive always yearned for and believe me this dog is absolutly gorgeous. My problem is that as the weeks have passed i think it was a mistake on thier parti know they meant well but i feel that its a bit to late in life for a boisturous 5 month pup. Im 60 next year and my hisband is 69 with bad mobility problems and other health issues plus i am his carer that in itself is stress enough. I have explained it to my son and he said no problem they would have the dog as they have one already the same age and they would come and pick him up this weekend but i dont want them to think im ungrateful or upset them .i love the dog dearly but feel its a bit to late in life for a puppy. I know they will love him and they would bring him to see us on visits .i just want to do the right thing i think the dog will have a better life with them and thier young family.

Maybelle Fri 11-Oct-19 14:10:29

This sounds like the ideal solution, you can continue to see the puppy but without all the hard work that puppies can cause.

Daisymae Fri 11-Oct-19 14:30:43

Anyone watching 'the dog house' can be in no doubt of the therapeutic value of pets. Having said that you only get back what you put in. Of course not all dogs are the right match, which is a vital consideration. Even the mildest mannered pooch is going to take a lot of commitment.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Oct-19 14:32:54

A dog is a huge commitment.

There is no obligation to have one if its not right for you.

Not a rescue, not an older dog, not a dog share.

Its kinder to say "No thanks".

Edithb Fri 11-Oct-19 15:33:35

A friend of mine is having a spaniel puppy and said she had been told it will be like looking after a baby so she isn’t looking forward to that stage, and she is in her forties!

sazz1 Fri 11-Oct-19 16:18:37

We have a working cocker spaniel and I can tell you they are very high energy. Very very loving but 2 speeds asleep and calm or very active at home constantly on the go. Need 2 x 1 hrs run at a minimum every day. Suit joggers, farm or small holding owners, hikers, gamblers etc. Outdoor people who enjoy the countryside, beating and shooting, rural life. Definitely not for anyone houseproud - they shed all year round and actively seek out mud and water. Most loving cuddly dog we have ever owned but not for people with limited mobility. Good luck Hope ýou still see the dog at your sons xxx

sazz1 Fri 11-Oct-19 16:29:13

Ramblers not gamblers lol

MamaCaz Fri 11-Oct-19 16:51:34

I'm glad you clarified that, sazz1 - try as I might, I couldn't think how such a dog would suit a gambler grin

sazz1 Fri 11-Oct-19 16:58:48

Well spaniels are very intelligent lololsmile

123kitty Fri 11-Oct-19 17:15:06

You were given an unasked for pup, you can't manage it, it's happily been taken back by DS- where's the problem?

Hm999 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:04:18

I care for my daughter (though that's not as taxing as caring for an older person ), and think I'd go crazy if I didn't have an hour out with the dog every morning - though it's another commitment. I'm much nearer your husband's age than yours.
A dog-share if they're not too far away?

Hm999 Fri 11-Oct-19 19:05:42

Meant to say 'small spaniel'