Gransnet forums

Relationships

Shopping with hubby

(108 Posts)
Flutterby1 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:56:33

Now I don’t want to sound like a nagging, ungrateful wife but I have a huge problem shopping with my hubby. I really can’t stand it. He always wants to come with me and I end up not buying anything as hate that he is standing about with me. It’s not that he is doing anything he is just there. If we split up for a while I am constantly looking at the time to make sure I get back to meet him where arranged.
Now that Xmas shopping time is here he has started asking ‘do you want to go shopping’ aaagh.
Suggestions please.

kircubbin2000 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:59:13

Tell him you are doing something else, meeting girls etc.

Flutterby1 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:01:31

I would but can’t drive so he has got to drive me to the mall.

Pittcity Tue 15-Oct-19 19:04:50

I just tell mine the truth, that I like shopping alone. We go for coffee or lunch together if he needs to buy something.

Iam64 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:04:58

Flutterby1 - get a taxi/cab. Be an independent woman.What's a "hubby"

Urmstongran Tue 15-Oct-19 19:20:02

I’d rather stick pins in me eyes.

Namsnanny Tue 15-Oct-19 19:22:34

Does he read the paper drink tea or coffee?
Tell him to relax and enjoy himself with the paper and drop him off at a coffee shop in the Mall you visit.
Or get a taxi as Iam said.

Sara65 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:26:26

Our local shopping city has lots of buskers and street entertainers, my husband likes to stand around watching them, while I pop in and out of shops, it works!

kittylester Tue 15-Oct-19 19:27:45

Just asking - are you in America?

Liz46 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:40:29

There is a pub next to the station in Liverpool with a blackboard outside instructing wives to leave their husbands in the creche.

My husband is a liability at the shops. He stands outside the shop telling me to 'take my time'. I prefer to leave him at home.

Flutterby1 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:51:58

Kittylester I am in UK.
Thanks to all for your comments. I will have to just tell him exactly how I feel. Don’t think he will be pleased.

TerriBull Tue 15-Oct-19 20:00:30

I do wonder why some women go shopping with their other half if it's a problem. I must admit I'd hate not to drive, I'm a terribly ponderous shopper, I wouldn't want to shop with me, I'm better on my own really. If we go together, I say to my husband "oh buy the paper and read it in the car, you know what I'm like especially round the bananas" grin don't want them too green or too small!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Oct-19 20:17:35

I leave mine in a book shop and know he will still be there when I am ready.

GrandmaKT Tue 15-Oct-19 20:26:11

Ha ha! Coincidentally I asked my husband earlier today if he'd like to go shopping in Liverpool with me tomorrow. His reply? "I'd rather cut off both my arms and legs"!
As I'm much happier shopping alone, I'm fine with that. (Him staying at home, not dismembering himself!)

Oopsminty Tue 15-Oct-19 20:26:14

I hate shopping. My husband is so much better than I am so I tend to let him go.

Grandad1943 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:28:33

My wife and I always go shopping together but when we arrive at the Mall we part for she loves clothes shopping while I hate it.

I always head for the large electrical stores with the huge Currys store at Cribbs Causeway, Bristol being a joy to my eyes, and I can well spend hours in there losing all concept of time.

My wife usually has to fish me out of there when she has completed her "rig out shop" or rings me to say she will meet me in some restaurant or pub etc.

So that is how we maintain "married bliss" on our shopping trips. ?

Oh forgot, for Christmas shopping, we always make it a weekend away. Last year we went to St Ives Cornwall. There are some wonderfull little gift shops in that town and the other small resort towns of cornwall where you really can get something different to the same run of the mill stuff you find in the big chain outlets.

The above makes for a lovely trip and hotel weekend and shopping together a pleasure.

Shopping together, key is, think outside the box. ??

annep1 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:51:25

Iam64 what's wrong with hubby?

I wish my husband would shop with me - not all the time obviously but when I want him to.
Just tell him when you want to go alone. It's ok to do that Flutterby

Iam64 Tue 15-Oct-19 20:54:07

annepl, I can't stand the use of the word. I find it patronising and all round awful. I can understand (and indeed have a) husband, partner, life partner etc but hubby - aaaarrrgh.

Sara65 Tue 15-Oct-19 22:02:34

Iam64

Agree!

phoenix Tue 15-Oct-19 22:14:38

Hubby ? NO NO NO!

Dreadful, awful, just bleurgh!

Would you want to be "Wifey"???? I think not!

Luckygirl Tue 15-Oct-19 22:37:18

Shopping with hubby - wow - you are brave.

Not something I have ever done!

NanaandGrampy Tue 15-Oct-19 22:47:50

Just say not this time thanks !

Can’t drive ? Get a bus/taxi/Uber .

Magpie1959 Tue 15-Oct-19 22:53:11

I loathe shopping, my husband absolutely loves it but he won't go anywhere on his own!
I have to be dragged into the shops and will only go when absolutely necessary. I dash around and grab the things I need then dash out.
He wants to browse in every shop no matter what it sells and he will happily spend hours mooching around flea markets and car boot sales. Yuk.
When we go food shopping to the likes of Asda, he has to check out all the TV's, clothing, sportswear etc etc.
My heart sinks when we have to go to a DIY store such as B&Q as its almost impossible to get him out.
I have a shopping tolerance of approximately 20minutes after which I slowly lose the will to live.

GagaJo Tue 15-Oct-19 23:03:10

My bloke is a total pain in the arse, when shopping. When HE'S shopping, he wants me there to comment on what he likes, is trying on etc.

My I'M shopping he has about a 5 minute tolerance before he starts complaining.

annep1 Wed 16-Oct-19 03:49:25

No Phoenix I most certainly would not want to be wifey. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Gagajo mine is the same. I suspect many are.
Magpie you paint such a vivid picture ?