Gransnet forums

Relationships

Visitation rights of my grandson's alcoholic father

(29 Posts)
Julesw Tue 22-Oct-19 13:22:05

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

This is my problem.

My poor daughter lived for 8 years with a controlling, manipulative alcoholic. She finally left him last summer after he passed out in the garden through drinking vodka when they received a diagnosis of achondroplasia for my gorgeous 20 month old grandson.

He then went on to assault both my daughter and my 72 year old husband.

Now however, he has been granted access to my grandson and although he openly admits to detesting me, I have responsibility of ensuring he meets his father for 2 hours once a fortnight. The alternative was to leave him in a Family Welfare Centre with a social worker and his father who he has not seen since August.

I am naturally nervous about the meeting. He is rude and controlling. He is already bombarding me with e mails and texts demanding I answer him by return etc. etc.

We are meeting in a local indoor play centre where there will be other parents/children. He has already demanded that as he is taking a breathalyser in front of me (not requested by the court, but as he puts it 'done for HIS own protection) that I sign his log book.

I certainly do not wish to put my name to anything and am thinking of suggesting his takes a photo shot on his phone of the test result.

We are a quiet, gentle family who have no experience of alcoholism and aggressive behaviour.

Please help me to ensure that these meetings are enjoyable and stress free for my grandson .

pinkquartz Mon 28-Oct-19 21:08:27

I just found the correct term....Independent Advocate. I think you might find out where they are in your area either through the council or CAB

They can put someone with you just to be there and watch. It is is very supportive. Just that.

Iam64 Tue 29-Oct-19 07:52:17

painting - 'bullied' ?!

Alexa Tue 29-Oct-19 13:26:03

Pintingthetownred, nobody objects your posting whatever you choose to write. Your opinion is on a public space and anyone may object to your opinion.