Gransnet forums

Relationships

How do you help a toddler through parental separation?

(28 Posts)
Shirva Wed 30-Oct-19 22:54:03

Hello. New to this! Time of crisis ahead...DIL is leaving DS, moving away, so 2 year old DGS will split the week geographically as well as parentally. How can I help him through the changes, including a double house move? sad

twiglet77 Sat 02-Nov-19 00:15:28

My DGS was just two when DD and DSIL separated. I believe they had had separate rooms for some months anyway. A year down the line, DD is still in the jointly-owned house which will sell eventually. DSIL is sharing a rented house. DGS is at nursery while they are at work but he has Saturday pm to Wednesday with mum, then Thursday, Friday, Saturday morning at dad's. He is too young to articulate any confusion he may have felt at any point. If he is being 'difficult' in any way, sleepless, angry or whatever, I am pretty sure it's because he has no other way of expressing what he feels. He is still tiny, not yet 3 years old. He is learning socially acceptable behaviour, good manners, kindness, patience, potty training, along with the fast-developing climbing, catching, jumping, drawing, motor skills. His body and brain are working so hard anyway, accommodating raging emotions makes it all the harder. Amazingly, though, when I look after him he is simply the most wonderful, enchanting child and when he does show his frustration it's more likely to be in the most familiar environments of the family home with his mother, or at his daycare. Will he remember this year? I very much doubt it. Not until there is another significant adult in either parent's lives will he really need to adapt, and all I can hope is that they all remain kind and respectful throughout.

The stresses of parenthood can well contribute to the end of a marriage, but it is NEVER the child's fault.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 04-Nov-19 15:05:09

Stay positive, stay friendly to all parties and never say anything against any of the family. Children do adapt easily if every body stays positive.