Gransnet forums

Relationships

Inheritance

(33 Posts)
1Appleby Mon 10-Feb-20 11:05:22

Good morning everyone I’m new here !
Just wondered if anyone else has had to deal with this.
I’ve lived with my now husband for five years - we married a couple of years ago. We were both widowed. Moved to his house because his was bigger than mine. I’ve settled in well after ‘teething problems’ made more friends and got a very happy new life. We’re both in our 70s. I rented my house for a while but have now sold it. Decided to stay in husband’s house as it is easy to maintain in a nice area and makes no sense moving to somewhere new at the same price.
Here’s the dilemma husband and late wife had a ‘tenancy in common’ whereby she left her half of the house to their one grown up child. I have two grown up children. For peace of mind I want to put a half share into the house. Everyone is willing and my husband, should he die before me, will will his half to me. I know my step child will get a lot more at this stage than my two children - I will give them some now but can’t afford to give any more as we obviously need to keep some income for ourselves. My two children, in the beginning, were very against me doing this and so I have waited. Things have calmed down somewhat and I know for my peace of mind I want to have ownership with my husband but I have a sense of guilt that I’m letting my children down. His house, by the way, is nearly another £75,000 more than mine and we’ve said that when we both die whatever is left will be shared 3 ways between our children. Apologies for such a long post. X

Nonogran Mon 10-Feb-20 18:17:28

Legal advice is imperative. Look after yourself and YOUR offspring. There are too many stories about late remarriage where children of wife or husband find themselves with no inheritance because whichever died last passed everything to his/her own flesh & blood. Take advice!

oscaro11 Tue 11-Feb-20 10:42:19

I’d be careful on this. My brother in laws father remarried and, unfortunately, died not long after. The new wife got everything and left the lot to her own children. My brother in law got nothing despite trying to challenge the will.
There was also the situation when Linda Bellingham died and her new husband inherited the lot and her two sons were left with nothing. He’s now married again I believe. I’d take independent legal advice to protect you and your own children.

M0nica Tue 11-Feb-20 18:20:43

Go and talk to an independent( independent of your DH) solicitor, he will know all the pros and cons of every possible way of dealing with this.

Asking unqualified people like us to advise is like making the decision on the throw of a dice and I am sure you would not dream of doing that.

1Appleby Wed 12-Feb-20 09:51:25

Thank you for all of your comments . I saw a solicitor yesterday - who has given me the advice I needed.

notanan2 Wed 12-Feb-20 17:32:30

You dont have to of course if its identifying, but if you feel able to share generally what they advised it might come in useful for the rest of us (not instead of our own legal advice)

Sparkling Thu 13-Feb-20 21:05:50

See a solicitor, it is so complicated, it is a mine field.

MawB Thu 13-Feb-20 21:15:36

1Appleby Wed 12-Feb-20 09:51:25
Thank you for all of your comments . I saw a solicitor yesterday - who has given me the advice I needed
Sparkling hmm.