Gransnet forums

Relationships

Won't be able to see children/grandchildr en for a long time

(23 Posts)
M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 06:54:35

Tzquiltz I have told my DGC (by Zoom) that they are living through history as much as someone living during the Spanish flu epidemic or a World War and that what they are living through they will be able to tell their children and grandchildren about. They are a very history based family, both parents work in the heritage industry and the DGC were quite impressed by this idea.

Txquiltz Tue 31-Mar-20 04:48:37

I usûally see my GS four days a week after school. It is so quiet without them. Facebook is good,but I prefer the real thing. I am especially saddened by the fact this virus event will always be one of their childhood memories.

Floradora9 Mon 30-Mar-20 18:35:32

Mine were due to move far closer to us but this is all up in the air now . I feel we are missing a vital part of our remaining years . They have been 9 hours away from us and sadly still are . We only have one lot of granchildren so it is really sad .

ValerieF Sun 29-Mar-20 18:15:31

Jools100 I don't know where you live but where I live IF the key worker HAS to go to work the children can go to school? Not to be taken advantage of because IF the other parent is not able to work/can work from home then they do not take up the offer.

They are strongly advising that grandparents do not take up the babysitting but I don't know of anyone, here, where they have to send their children to a strangers' home. In fact, that goes against all the recommendations. If your daughter is a single parent and her children are not school age she can't be forced to work.

Jools100 Sun 29-Mar-20 17:57:11

I am aching for my grandsons who are strongly attached to me and normally live here for half the week. My daughter currently has to stay at home, but may be needed on the front line as an NHS keyworker. Although the boys normally spent half their time at my house, now they can't. If she has to go to work, they may have to go to a strangers home or setting for childcare, where they will be put at greater risk, and therefore put others at greater risk. Please don't condemm me for this post, I am trying to show how things aren't always clear cut.

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Mar-20 16:48:55

Missing my 2 sets of grandchildren terribly like you all. So grateful for frequent video calls. If you haven’t heard of the app Houseparty I highly recommend it. It brings video calling to another level. We tried it yesterday. 5 households in 3 countries all on the screen chatting together to each other. All the children loved it. There were interactive games, quizzes etc which even kept individual scores. I can’t tell you how lovely it was to see my 4 grandkids laughing and interacting with each other although far apart. It’s free from the App Store

Callistemon Sun 29-Mar-20 16:39:50

Grannyrebel I just try to remind myself that we are luckier than people were so many years ago when they emigrated, could never afford to come home again and letters took six weeks. Phone calls at Christmas had to be booked in advance!

I had a lovely chat with DGS, who is thousands of miles away, this morning. However, ended up in fits of giggles because he kept turning himself into a cat, a dog, a zombie, an old man - how do they do that?

Janpt Sun 29-Mar-20 16:21:28

Our grandchildren live abroad so you're very lucky.

Mcauliffe27 Sun 29-Mar-20 14:25:41

We missed our darling granddaughters 1st birthday yesterday so heartbreaking we miss them so much and worrying about their health is so hard, but looking forward to coming through this horrible time, good health to all of you.

BradfordLass73 Fri 27-Mar-20 04:39:18

In New Zealand, it is still possible to visit family, especially if they are in need, such as wanting physical support.

So, if this was my situation, my family could come to me to make sure I was all right.

ginny Thu 26-Mar-20 19:01:13

ValerieF, my post was made before the latest rules. Only messages and FaceTime now.
Thanks for your concern though.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Mar-20 17:24:23

It is heartbreaking, we are fortunate that our DD and GC (aged 5yrs and baby 12 weeks) have come to our house to isolate.

We still miss physical cuddles etc with the other GC but can face time, although the five month old is oblivious to our waves and chatter?

I just keep telling myself it is for all of our safety, if everyone sticks to the rules the sooner this flippin evil virus can be beaten and I pray a vaccine is found as soon as possible.

gillybob Thu 26-Mar-20 16:59:01

My DD and I have both cried our eyes out this afternoon . She "Facetimed" me while her and her little one were tidying up the toys in her new bedroom, laughing and waving and blissfully unaware of the awful things going on all around us.
I feel like my heart is breaking as I normally see all my DGC at least twice a week. Its easier to explain to the older children but you can't reason with a 22 month old baby can you?

ValerieF Thu 26-Mar-20 16:50:22

Ginny - be careful I was stopped by Police this morning on my way to work and had to prove I was going to work not making an unnecessary journey. I think it may well come in all over the country?

grannyrebel7 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:56:30

Thanks guys xx

SueDonim Sat 21-Mar-20 20:55:24

We’re all in the same boat if we’re over 70 or vulnerable or live with someone in those categories. We have to make the best of it. I only see my oldest GCs once a year maximum anyway due to geographical distance but we use modern technology and we have a happy, close relationship with them.

This will end eventually and we must look forward to that day. flowers

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 20:45:10

A lot of us will not be seeing our grandchildren for months, but that is the price we have to pay for our health and security.

Being a war baby I can remember when fathers didn't see their children for 5 years or more. My father was in the army and my grandparents sometimes didn't see us for years at a time when he was posted overseas. Many current grandparents have children and grandchildren overseas who they do not see for years at a time.

Most of us should be grateful that we see our grandchildren often enough for a three or four month gap to seem a long time.

Madammim1 Sat 21-Mar-20 20:38:26

Tomorrow I shall be going to my mums house putting her card and present on the doorstep and waving at her through the window it will be the first mother's Day in nearly 43 years I haven't given her a cuddle with her present , I shall also be going to see my grandchildren who are in isolation with their mum and waving and blowing kisses at them from the front garden , I shall probably cry when I get back in the car

Greenfinch Sat 21-Mar-20 19:55:50

We have a new grandchild due in five weeks and I am sad that we will miss those early weeks with her.

SalsaQueen Sat 21-Mar-20 19:23:45

My 2 GC live with their mother, about 20 minutes away, but we're not seeing them as the mum has decided to self-isolate (no symptoms or health concerns), so we did a video call to them today.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 21-Mar-20 17:03:12

We're 100-200 miles away from our various DC/DGC and so don't expect to see any of them for a while. Thank goodness for modern communications. Adding more positive vibes to you all from me. flowers

ginny Sat 21-Mar-20 15:28:17

Many of us are in the same position. We are luck that all our 3 daughters and their families live within 20 minutes of us. Therefore at various times they will drive over and wave through the window or we will go and wave through theirs. Trouble is I can smile while they are there but as soon as they go I am in bits. Same happens when they and especially the DGC FaceTime.

grannyrebel7 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:51:43

DH & I live 120 miles away from our son and daughter and 4 grandkids. They all live just outside London. The thought of not seeing them for months upsets me so much. I cried over it for the first three days of this week, but now have come to terms with it. I know there's lots of people in the same situation, but we just have to accept for now that there's nothing we can do about it. We can make the most of phone calls, Facetime etc. and be glad that at least we have that connection. We'll be missing our eldest grandson's 9th birthday & Mother's day this weekend and it breaks my heart, but it must be done. Sending positive vibes to all the GN ers who are in the same position as me xx