Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should we continue with this?

(7 Posts)
GrannySomerset Sat 28-Mar-20 14:50:24

My very long time help (25 years) comes once a week and does things I struggle with like bed changing and giving DH a bath. Should we go on with this? We take all relevant precautions and for both his and my sake I need this to continue. As he is doubly incontinent a bath is very important and it is not safe if I do it alone.

She is not seeing her own family in order not to risk her husband’s health (heart problems) so the risk of bringing in infection is fairly low.

She and I are minded to keep going unless even greater restrictions are imposed. Are we right?

Riverwalk Sat 28-Mar-20 15:15:55

There's a whole army of paid Carers who go into homes everyday to perform care and light house duties - they are key workers. I can't see how restrictions would ever be imposed.

All the District Nurses & Community Carers haven't just stopped work.

She has to decide if it's worth the risk of taking infection of any sort back to her husband though.

GrannySomerset Sat 28-Mar-20 15:45:40

You are right, Riverwalk, but as we aren’t going anywhere either the risk should be low.

AGAA4 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:54:44

This is a dilemma. If your carer stops coming then there would be health issues for you and your DH. If she continues to visit then there is the possibility of her bringing in coronavirus.

It is a balancing act and seems to come down on the side of your carer to keep coming as you all are taking care to keep yourselves apart from others.

Stay well!

sodapop Sat 28-Mar-20 19:23:49

Yes I agree with AGAA4 the best solution seems to be the one you have thought about with your carer GrannySomerset you can rethink if things change. I hope you and your husband stay well.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 28-Mar-20 19:29:56

My neighbour has 3 different carers during the day, they then go off to other elderly people.
I just hope that everyone is careful and takes the necessary precautions, the elderly depend on the carers and without them they would probably be bed blocking in the hospitals.
It is a worry though.
What concerns me too is that this afternoon the neighbour had 4 visitors again, (last week 8 went in on Sunday) I have a face mask and gloves by my front door in case he goes walkabout in the night and knocks on my door for help.

GrannySomerset Mon 30-Mar-20 19:41:34

Well, the problem no longer arises because the wonderful help has been unnerved by knowing a career who had to prove to the police that she had a right to be on the road, and won’t be coming until restrictions ease.

Domestic standards will definitely be lower, but with nobody coming through the front door I don’t suppose it matters much.