Gransnet forums

Relationships

Mil accuses DH of poisoning her

(28 Posts)
ExD Fri 15-May-20 15:09:43

MIL is disabled and living alone in a small ground floor flat. She had dismissed her carers and refuses to let the GP through the door (this was before Covid) so we look after her by doing shopping, cleaning and making her food.
She lurches from constipation to the 'other'. At the moment she is on the 'other' phase.
Since lock down we've just been doing shopping and cooking, but she had a fall and was taken to hospital a few days ago where she's told everyone her son (DH) is putting laxative in her food and trying to poison her.
Obviously he is NOT, but he's being 'investigated' - what can we do apart from just flatly contradicting her?

ExD Sun 17-May-20 13:39:42

Your supportive messages have been so comforting, I got myself all worked up about the word 'investigating'. She's still in hospital although of course we can't visit, and when we suggested a UTI they were a bit shirty and said naturally they had tested for everything. (Ooops!)
But she's on antibiotics so maybe that has been part of the problem.
They are talking about a Care Home which will be difficult at the moment with all this virus amongst (really old) people.
Anyway - your help has been appreciated.
smile

Lilypops Sun 17-May-20 13:46:12

My MIL accused my DH of stealing her pension , he had POA and collected it , paid any bills for her, gave her the receipts and change yet she told other members of the family he was taking her money, it wasnt very nice for him , but thankfully no one took it seriously , as it just wasn’t true, She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s shortly after , which explained her behaviour at the time,, Doctor,s and police must be used to dealing with these complaints from the elderly , but it is upsetting for those accused when they are just trying to help,