Gransnet forums

Relationships

I did hurt my husband ego..

(49 Posts)
francine49 Mon 01-Jun-20 22:47:04

Hi
I am married since more than 20 years.Im a beautician and my hubby is an ex military and a bit macho.All is great but with the job,daily things to do, my yoga I struggle to get some time with him. To fix that, we did decide to make some sport together before the covid. What was the more complicated was to find a sport that can fit for both of us. I wanted salsa or a dance sport but he refuses(im an ex ballerina), he wants tennis but i hate racket sport... So finally after hours of search and discussion he proposed me judo. I first refuse it but because I see we were blocked I said ok let's try it...

Finally, after 5 lessons, we both had fun going there. I had the feeling to improve and feel really good practicing. We were on the same club, same training but we had our partner for the "fight part" in the end of the lesson.

With the virus, we can’t go anymore, so a few days ago, he asked me to practice at home. We used a mat for safety and worked on the moves as in training. After one hour he challenged me in a friendly match, like for the normal session “if I dare” and he’ll show me “who’s the boss, it’s not like dancing or yoga things…”.

It was the first time we have a match together. Well, we have same height and i practiced ballerina during years and yoga 3 times per week but he outweight me and he is an ex military so im not too much confident.. but ok let’s try it!

He tease me a bit telling me he'll show me who's my boss...
We hang each other kimono and turn around. I pull his sleeve, to the left, to the right, I straighten my leg out and fall on him to the ground. He struggle to escape but I pin him and count to 5 (we need to pin the opponent 5 sec to win). His face was all red and while I help him to get up I can't hide myself from smiling.

Now he seems really focus and we start again. I still smile while he seems really serious. I pull his kimono again and got him the exact same way. On the ground I quickly wrapped my arms around his head and I block his legs with my feet. I had a good grip he can't move so i count to 5 and win… Before I release himI whisper on his ear “ouch your ballerina got you badly this time, where is the tough soldier now?” I get up (and dance a bit to celebrate i confess) and prepare for the 3rd round but he said he didnt want anymore

Later I struggled not to have a strange silence that can sometimes happen. He says nothing and I make a monologue about housework. It seems that he doesn’t want to do judo anymore. I laugh a bit at first, asking him if it’s because I beat him, but he answers me aggressively that no, he just thinks it’s a waste of time.

I haven’t talked to him about it, but he looks different like he’s worried about something, like something is broken. I don’t know. He’s cold with me, never laughs, and seems even a bit depressed.

I didn’t want to hurt him, and now I don’t know how I can fix things. Atmosphere is now complicated..

What can I do?

Lilypops Wed 03-Jun-20 22:53:10

Grandad1943. Completely agree , he/she disappeared of the page,probably gone to play out !,

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Jun-20 22:38:34

I daren’t say any more ‘farview’ !!

rosenoir Wed 03-Jun-20 19:48:14

He sounds like a spoilt brat, put him on the naughty step until he can behave properly in defeat.

Dottydots Wed 03-Jun-20 18:53:40

My partner and I play a game of Chinese Chequers every evening before we watch tv. Sometimes he wins, sometimes I win, so we are both happy. Perhaps you should try this, Francine,

Grandad1943 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:43:41

He needs to actually exist. Perhaps the reappearance of the opening poster on this thread would help give credence to that situation. ??

farview Wed 03-Jun-20 18:38:19

AgreeJenniferEccles .....

Tommy16 Wed 03-Jun-20 17:26:00

He needs to grow up !

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Jun-20 17:12:10

I guess we are overdue one of those fake posts.

At least it didn’t go to the extremes of one or two others.

Davidhs Wed 03-Jun-20 09:55:57

It takes all kinds, there are so many situations that most of us would dismiss as implausible, are actually real life tangles. The vast number of posts are genuine, a few wind ups are not a problem for me.

Grandad1943 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:59:44

Well, once again the opening poster after requesting advise has not returned to the thread which now seems to be a very common occurrence on this forum.

I often think that threads with topics such as this are opened with the sole intention of causing strong arguments among forum members, or the OP wishes to see how many of what they would perceive to as "the gullible" will fall for their bullsh*t fictions.

However, seeing the time of the opening post was late on an evening perhaps viewing text in the cold light of day was a "very sobering experience" for the OP

MissTree Tue 02-Jun-20 16:38:43

Oh ! I’m too naive. I tend to believe what someone tells me until I find out otherwise.

Davidhs Tue 02-Jun-20 16:35:23

Francine alias Isabelle123 posted exactly the same issue on another forum, there it was Balerina v Boyfriend

It seems that not all squaddies are the competitive type, You did hurt his ego, best to forget the combat in future, give him time he will get over it.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 16:20:46

You never know, Bluebelle
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

Everybody was Kung fu fighting
Those kicks were fast as lightning

Oh, sorry it was judo.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jun-20 15:59:05

I don’t think we can take francine seriously Misstree
Surely it can’t be a serious post can it ?

MissTree Tue 02-Jun-20 15:46:11

I’m taking the OP seriously but maybe Francine just wanted to show off ? How do I know ?
I agree with Lemongrove.
You know your husband better than we do, Francine . You can find something he does better than you, surely.
Personally I prefer people to be self deprecating . I’m not a fan of fanfares when someone wins . Tis a modern thing. I’m an old thing ?

DiscoGran Tue 02-Jun-20 15:02:14

Kung fu Panda!?

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 14:56:59

There must be some judo films on Netflix!

But Don't Try This at Home.

DiscoGran Tue 02-Jun-20 14:49:40

You need to get out more............oh, sorry you can't.

Make him his favourite dinner, let him have the remote and watch a bit of Netflix. He'll get over it. ?

Elegran Tue 02-Jun-20 10:57:24

MayB You read my mind.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 02-Jun-20 10:11:33

I sounds like you have bruised his fragile ego, Francine and in some ways it serves him right. I always thought that a good marriage was an equal partnership, not constant snipping about who is top dog. I would find that unpleasant.

Callistemon Tue 02-Jun-20 10:05:19

a monologue about housework
Do get a grip!!!
Preferably not a judo one though

???

Cherrytree59 Tue 02-Jun-20 09:59:43

I think you want a pat on the back OP and a 'you go girl'

Judo outside the Dojo is for self defence only.
You both broke rules!!

lemongrove Tue 02-Jun-20 09:45:13

Allow your DH to win at something OP.....offhand I can’t think of anything a man could do better though.?

MawB Tue 02-Jun-20 09:38:14

Creative thinking Elegran or creative writing?

Elegran Tue 02-Jun-20 08:40:36

Creative thinking, Francine49. That would go well on Facebook.