Gransnet forums

Relationships

Other kind of racism

(88 Posts)
Notjustaprettyface Thu 04-Jun-20 11:25:06

I am not native of this country but have lived here longer than I have in my country of birth .
I am fluent in English but for some reason , cannot shake off my ( foreign) accent.
Since brexit and lockdown , this has resulted , in a regular basis , in me being told to ‘ go back to my own country’ by various people.
My husband, who is English , just tells me to ignore it but , being of a sensitive nature , I find it hard to just do that .
It is very hurtful especially as I have worked here for many years , paid taxes and national insurance contributions etc ...
Has anybody been through a similar situation ? How do you deal with it ?
Or if you haven’t been affected by this issue , have you got tips to pass on ?
At a time where protests are taking place at the death of a black man in the US, it is clear to me that there is latent racism in the U.K. even against white people
I was not sure which forum to put this in so I chose relationships as it could affect the way I interact with people in the future
Hope someone out there can help
Thank you

Starblaze Fri 05-Jun-20 16:31:57

I'm. Using the Royal you. Its an anyone you. I seriously need to stop that bad habit

Starblaze Fri 05-Jun-20 16:30:13

Ignorance is not having knowledge or experience of racism and so deciding its not really a problem. Ignorance is curable by educating yourself on the subject

Eloethan Fri 05-Jun-20 16:09:29

I don't understand what you mean Starblaze.

Starblaze Fri 05-Jun-20 15:58:38

There has always been ignorance as well as racism, ignorance can be educated though and there really is no excuse when you have it all at your fingertips right this moment.

Eloethan Fri 05-Jun-20 15:15:55

EllanVannin Yes, "the good old days" when a political banner proclaiming "If you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Labour" was completely lawful. Doesn't sound very friendly to me.

GillT57 Fri 05-Jun-20 14:52:15

It was never mentioned in the 40s and 50s.....was that the time when landlords could put a sign in their window saying No Irish, No Coloureds, No dogs ? Good old days eh?

Summerlove Fri 05-Jun-20 14:35:25

EllanVannin

I'm sure some people just go looking for a way to " trip " someone up over " racism ". Since it was highlighted it's all we damn well hear. The very word itself is enough to cause WWIII. Because of its awareness there'd be no such thing.

It's what becomes of being programmed/ controlled and I refuse to be dragged in to such a way of life.

It was never mentioned in my school in the 40's and 50's and as a consequence everyone got on and we were all treated the same----equally !

Schools in my day were places of learning and not what they are now, sadly.

You poor dear having your life questioned. Your remarks are so small minded that you can’t even see how horrible you sound.

It was never mentioned in the 40s and 50s....Because people were terrified to mention it. People were absolutely not equal, and the fact that you think they were just shows the insane amount of privilege you live with.

Summerlove Fri 05-Jun-20 14:33:57

Iam64

lady muck, your post at 12.00 today confirms that many white people just do not understand or accept the extent of disadvantage so many of our fellow citizens live with.
To suggest that its "all too easy for someone of a different race to claim they have been discriminated against for their colour" is offensive and racist. The list of reasons you go on to give as acceptable reasons to turn a candidate away could apply to any individual from any race.

????

Galaxy Fri 05-Jun-20 14:30:42

Schools are a thousand times better than they were back in the day.

trisher Fri 05-Jun-20 14:28:23

EllanVannin Schools and times have changed such a lot. I could take you into schools where staff are trying desperately to keep the peace and ensure that children from EU countries whose parents have come to work here are not constantly abused and insulted by others ,where black children are called every sort of name, as are their parents. It's not all schools and most schools integrate and accept children from all countries, races and faiths very successfully, but it is some. Would you rather the school didn't at least try to mitigate the very real hatred some children learn at home?

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 13:03:51

I'm sure some people just go looking for a way to " trip " someone up over " racism ". Since it was highlighted it's all we damn well hear. The very word itself is enough to cause WWIII. Because of its awareness there'd be no such thing.

It's what becomes of being programmed/ controlled and I refuse to be dragged in to such a way of life.

It was never mentioned in my school in the 40's and 50's and as a consequence everyone got on and we were all treated the same----equally !

Schools in my day were places of learning and not what they are now, sadly.

Iam64 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:58:58

lady muck, your post at 12.00 today confirms that many white people just do not understand or accept the extent of disadvantage so many of our fellow citizens live with.
To suggest that its "all too easy for someone of a different race to claim they have been discriminated against for their colour" is offensive and racist. The list of reasons you go on to give as acceptable reasons to turn a candidate away could apply to any individual from any race.

SueDonim Fri 05-Jun-20 12:46:37

I didn’t mention your name Paddyanne but if the cap fits, wear it.

Your words ‘white settlers’ ‘expats’ - no doubt you only use those divisive terms for English people who don’t share your political POV. No wonder Scotland has a problem with racism, as evidenced on this thread, and today by Humza Yousaf. www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-52915980/humza-yousaf-no-way-scotland-is-free-from-racism

BlueBelle Fri 05-Jun-20 12:44:37

Eloethan I completely understand your post it is so so bad when people downgrade racism with the dilution of ah well it happens everywhere Well it shouldn’t bloody happen anywhere
My daughter in law was showing her friends (not family friends) some pictures of a ‘do’ she and my son (mixed race) had been too One of these friends who obviously didn’t know our family said pointing to my son who was standing behind or along side my daughter in law in various poses in some of the pictures and said ‘that waiter’s hanging around you a lot hahaha’
Well it wasn’t hahaha

Sussexborn Fri 05-Jun-20 12:36:55

My last post wasn’t meant for this thread but for yet another Brit bashing post which, I suppose, is another form of racism.

trisher Fri 05-Jun-20 12:13:25

It's a complicated problem. It's something we can never consider is overcome. Educating and in many cases trying to combat the racism children learn at home is vital. I hate it when I see the racists organising rallies in my town, but thankfully it is usually young people who stand up and challenge them. I still feel I should apologise to all the people from all over the world who are the targets of this bigotry and bias.

Furret Fri 05-Jun-20 12:12:04

Why do you think a black person might have a poorer education in this country - social inequality.

ladymuck Fri 05-Jun-20 12:00:34

The comments on here serve to illustrate that the problem of racism is rather complex. The general interpretation is whites being prejudiced against non-whites, but it is more widespread than that. There is just as much prejudice against white people, but it doesn't attract the same publicity.

In a country where the majority of the population is of one race, it's all too easy for someone of a different race to claim they have been discriminated against because of their colour; but there may be a totally different reason why that person wasn't chosen for a job,or whatever. Lack of education, poor manners, bad language, there may be any number of reasons.

Notjustaprettyface Fri 05-Jun-20 11:23:16

Valérie f , i have reported it once and got the police round to the offenders house
Police couldn’t do much , they say it’s on the increase since brexit
But police or not , the main point here is that it is gratuitous nastiness and it hurts

LadyGracie Fri 05-Jun-20 09:53:42

DH is a retired teacher, we moved to Wales 31 years ago, some teachers at the secondary school he taught at really disliked the English, the librarian in particular used to switch to Welsh whenever he appeared.

Saying that you do come across some unfriendly welsh speakers even now, but on the whole they are the warmest people I’ve ever met......as long as you don’t mention rugby grin

Grannyjay Fri 05-Jun-20 09:52:26

About fifteen years ago my dear friend lived in Tottenham and she is such a friendly open person. She said when she got on the bus each day to travel home she would have to deal with racist comments from the black passengers. They would spit at her and call her white fat trash. I suppose this was before the mobile phone craze of filming and putting on social media. It shows that there are some pretty nasty people around wherever, whoever you are. She lived in an area with high ethnic and minority groups resenting white people living there. I hate racism, sexism and constant battles from the media trying to make us hate others by only projecting on the nasty side of life and there are places where people do appreciate different cultures and races which enrich our lives but not very newsworthy. I will say in advance before some posters come back to criticise my comment I worked for many years with people from different races who said they experienced different attitudes good and bad. I just hope this BLM improve the lives of everyone.

25Avalon Fri 05-Jun-20 09:42:34

How about the taxi driver in the papers today who was racially abused? He kept his dignity and showed the offender up for the abuser he was - now in police custody.

Hetty58 Fri 05-Jun-20 09:33:12

The best reaction to thoughtless, 'casual' racist remarks - is to look totally puzzled, then walk away. That way, the person will notice the reaction and (hopefully) wonder why.

Then there is inaction, which almost equals acceptance. For instance, are we happy with the UK choosing profit over human rights?

chng.it/CYMYFCsJ7d

Starblaze Fri 05-Jun-20 09:17:31

This is all of our responsibility. It doesn't mater what percentage of society is bigoted, if you aren't calling it out you are part of the problem. Not getting involved is like standing and watching someone drown. People die for what we allow to continue.

Nannee49 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:49:15

If everyone went back to where they came from there wouldn't be many left in this fair country. Do the ignorant mouthpieces telling folk to "go back" know where THEY came from and what right THEY have to be here?