Gransnet forums

Relationships

Racist friends

(229 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 09-Jun-20 12:15:03

I'm struggling with this.

I have a multi ethnic family. My friends ALL know my family. Consequently, I have perhaps naively assumed my friends were all non-racist.

The current Black Lives Matter protests have shown me my ignorance. I've had a lot on and hadn't posted anything in my social media about BLM. 2 or 3 friends have clearly taken this to mean I must be anti BLM and have either posted stuff online and tagged me in it or sent stuff to me via email/private messages.

I don't really know what to do. Some of these people I have known for over 20 years and have been very close to.

I've messaged them and expressed my shock but don't know what to do now. Do I wipe out people I used to regard as close friends? In the past, I've entered into dialogue about racism/politics and am happy to debate. BUT out and out racism is never acceptable.

Help?

GagaJo Sat 13-Jun-20 08:01:57

I've thought a lot about this. Neither of my friends has responded to me. Once has continued to make borderline racist comments on his social media.

I've unfriended both of them. One is more of an ex colleague than a good friend so is less of a loss. The other though, I went to university with and I used to be very close to. It hurts.

Furret Sat 13-Jun-20 08:22:05

Gagajo it really upsets me too that the BLM protests is showing up the racist in some friends and family, but not of course my immediate family, AC and their spouses.

So I’ve adopted a range of strategies. Those that are the worst and I don’t regard very highly anyway I’ve unfriended. I simply don’t need to read their disgusting posts.

Those who are closer to me, some of them basically nice people, but uneducated (in the wider sense of the word) I have responded by calling out their racism and putting the facts to them, and others who are somewhere in-between I have responded by asking them not to include me in their racist posts or tweets as they offend me.

Callistemon Sat 13-Jun-20 09:54:35

Social media has a lot to answer for, as was pointed out earlier in the thread. Perhaps it should be reported to FB and they should be taking steps to delete these inflammatory posts.