Gransnet forums

Relationships

Baby’s name could break up my family

(112 Posts)
Normski111 Tue 30-Jun-20 22:51:10

My son and DIL called their son after his only uncle - DIL’s only sibling - (one of his 2 middle names - both her family names). Now they’re having a daughter but my DIL doesn’t want to have my son’s only sibling and only the children’s only auntie in baby’s name. I’m gutted and my daughter will be too.
She hasn’t said anything to me, but my son told me and he’s conflicted between appeasing his wife and considering his sister’s feelings.
The baby is due in 4 weeks and I’m dreading the time when the name’s announced.
It conflicts with my family values and I feel it’s an insult to my family. My DIL has been part of my family for 12 years, over one third of her life, so it really hurts.
How do I respond to keep my values whilst continuing to be a Grandma?

Bridgeit Wed 01-Jul-20 21:14:27

Sorry to be harsh, but are you for real?
Their baby, their choice, how can you possibly think otherwise.

Madgran77 Wed 01-Jul-20 21:07:42

Normskill The name just doesn't matter. Your son and his wife need to make this decision together. You need to tell your son that and leave them to it. And tell your DD it is not anyone's business but the new parents.

Breaking up a family over a NAME ...that would be so silly wouldn't it. Just enjoy being a Grandma and hopefully your daughter will enjoy being an aunt ...whatever the lovely new baby is called

Jennist Wed 01-Jul-20 21:00:16

All your children and offspring need in life is unconditional love. If possible parents need their own life and interests, to offer help and be helpful when needed.
The maintenance of good relationships should be the gold standard. Just enjoy each other!

lemongrove Wed 01-Jul-20 20:47:31

Callistemon haha, I think it would muddy the waters even further.?
I would have you know that Chardonnay is an ancient family name for us Lemongroves, we can trace it right back to the Norman conquest.?

janeainsworth Wed 01-Jul-20 20:37:02

You obviously inherit your love of walking from her?
I wouldn’t put it quite like that Marmight grin
As children, my younger sister and I were dragged unwillingly up and down the Lakeland fells and endured Saturday walks in the Peak District, mitigated only by the promise of fish & chips for tea on the way home.
It wasn’t till I was old enough to plan excursions myself & go off with my school friends, youth hostelling in the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales, that I really appreciated that I should have been more grateful to my parents for introducing me to the joys of the countryside and the open road!

Aldom Wed 01-Jul-20 19:57:45

I once knew someone whose surname was Grocock. My mother was at school with an Easter Primrose. In the Chester telephone book many years ago there was an entry for Lillycrap. For goodness sake OP don't cause a rift in your family over a name. Be thankful you still have a son, and his family.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jul-20 19:44:54

lemongrove

To be honest I can hardly make head nor tail of the OP....it sounds too peculiar to even begin to formulate an answer to it.

Have a glass of Chardonnay, Asti, Margaux or Sherry lemongrove

All good girls' names
wink

Marmight Wed 01-Jul-20 18:59:54

Gosh JaneA your Mum was so young to be widowed. You obviously inherit your love of walking from her? I can understand her not getting over it ?My MiL was also called Glad by FiL

Baggs Wed 01-Jul-20 17:54:22

There is no 'value' in feeling gutted because your grand-daughter to be is not apparently going to be named after her aunt on the paternal side, only ridiculousness of the first order.

Peardrop50 Wed 01-Jul-20 17:33:24

My mother in law was quite a forceful woman who announced that all the men in the Peardrop family had the same first name although all known by the second including my MrP. When we were expecting our first child I purchased a budgerigar and called him by the family name. When our son was born I was able to say that I couldn't possibly call our firstborn after the budgie.

lemongrove Wed 01-Jul-20 17:26:31

To be honest I can hardly make head nor tail of the OP....it sounds too peculiar to even begin to formulate an answer to it.

annodomini Wed 01-Jul-20 17:19:35

My mum threatened us with dire consequences if we named a baby Ethel, after her. Not a chance, and they were boys anyway.

janeainsworth Wed 01-Jul-20 16:50:19

Marmight My Mum did have the G-name, but she was always called Glad which really suited her.
My Dad died a few months after he took this photo of her. She was only 53 & never got over it, although she soldiered on & never complained.

Susan56 Wed 01-Jul-20 16:17:49

Luckygirl,you have written exactly what I was thinking.

Marmight Wed 01-Jul-20 16:10:31

Yes Maw keep digging ?
My MiL had one of those names and I often think, how could anyone look at a sweet newborn and call her .........(& it didn’t begin with M!)
I suppose in those days some names held a certain attraction ?

sarahcyn Wed 01-Jul-20 16:03:05

FarNorth

Friends of mine named their son Tristan.
Now adult, he goes by Stan.

Stan is so much more fashionable. Tristan is very 70s

sarahcyn Wed 01-Jul-20 16:02:00

If you look at some celebrity children’s names, you will be quite grateful your grandchild sounds like she’s been named after a human being and not a piece of fruit, an ice lolly brand or a cat walking across the computer keyboard...
Though of course your DIL’s relatives may sound as though they’ve been named after all of these..

FarNorth Wed 01-Jul-20 15:52:08

Friends of mine named their son Tristan.
Now adult, he goes by Stan.

Luckygirl Wed 01-Jul-20 14:49:00

I always try to be polite when posting on Gransnet, but I really do have to say that I have never ever heard anything as absolutely ridiculous as this. It truly does sound completely mad. You have a lovely granddaughter on the way - what else matters?

Your poor son, having to sort out this nonsense.

I hate the phrase Get a Life, but can think of nothing more suitable to this ludicrous situation.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jul-20 14:41:04

I did the same, trisher and was astonished to find years later my older DC's names were old family names of my GGGPs from the 1800s.
Genetic memory?

trisher Wed 01-Jul-20 14:30:11

When I named ny DSs I thought I 'd chosen unusual names. Turns out they are all family names that hadn't been used for a bit.
My oldest DGS has my dad's name as a middle name. The youngest has his mums dad's name. My DGD has her own names-no one elses. Should I be annoyed about that?

H1954 Wed 01-Jul-20 14:28:12

So, the DIL and her choice of name for their baby conflicts with your family values....... surely you DS and DIL are creating and nurturing a family of their own.........why would they need to conform to your values?

Callistemon Wed 01-Jul-20 14:22:43

Jane10

Time to break out of these ridiculous conventions. In my family the baby could be called Anchovy Banana as long as its OK and I can can be part of its life.

I've been trying to work out what a diminutive could be of either.

MawB yes, both those names in our family !!

I haven't heard of any little girls bring named Gladys but there are some little Mabels around

janeainsworth Wed 01-Jul-20 14:19:24

Good thinking MawB grin

MawB Wed 01-Jul-20 14:15:49

janeainsworth

Hey MawB!
My youngest grandson was possibly to be called Gladys or Mabel if he had been a girl. No comment!
One was those names was my Mum’s name!
I’m totally offended!
gringrin

When in a hole MawB .......???