Gransnet forums

Relationships

How About Some Good News?

(113 Posts)
Puzzled Thu 09-Jul-20 10:42:59

It saddens me to see so many posts on the lines of
"I don't like my husband. I can't wait to get out of this marriage, but can't afford to leave"
How many can, and will post something like
"We've been married for 50+ years. We have our own hobbies, interests and friends, but enjoy sharing activities and time, going out together.
We appreciate the small gestures like making and bringing a drink, the unexpected gift, a bar of chocolate, a shirt, jewelry, or pretty knickers. We we like to compliment each other on their appearance, dressed or otherwise.
We enjoy a hug and a cuddle. We make love to give pleasure to each other"

There must be some happy people out there, just say so!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Jul-20 12:10:57

I can see it might make things worse if you are unhappy to find a thread telling how happy the rest of us are, but you don't have to read it!

And a lot (most?) unhappy or unfortunate people are big enough to be glad that others are happy.

I am glad to hear that others are happy with their husbands, just as I am.

I was beginning to think that most of our age group were just staying together because they could not afford to split up!

Not a nice thought.

luluaugust Fri 10-Jul-20 11:57:44

Coming up 53 years, all sorts of ups and downs, all kinds of interests but contented lockdown. Assorted underwear over the years some more unusual than others blush

BBbevan Fri 10-Jul-20 11:46:38

Married since we were 20, like inishowen Now both 75. We have always been the best of friends. I am impatient and do things quickly. DH is very methodical but does do a beautiful job. We like the same things mostly and enjoy each other’s company. What more could we want?

inishowen Fri 10-Jul-20 11:37:20

Married since we were both 20. Gosh we've had our ups and downs but after 47 years I wouldn't change him! We are so different. I'm quiet, hes an extrovert. He's out this morning meeting friends for coffee. I'm happily at home. He does all the cooking because he is so good at it. I do the gardening because I love it. We make it work because we are friends as well as husband and wife.

Puzzled Fri 10-Jul-20 11:26:54

Lovely to read of so many long term marriages.smile
Sad to read of the less fortunate. Hope that the post does not cause too much pain, not wanting to hurt or boast.
Just fed up with all the bad news and media obsession with calamities.
Good news obviously doesn't sell newspapers or increase viewing figures.
As many say, life has it's ups and downs. The main thing is to be able to survive the downs, and to enjoy the ups.
Bad times do change us, hopefully for the better, making us stronger and more tolerant and aware of others.

Somewhere there will be someone with a bigger problem than yours
Value your good times together, and say so!

Keep the good news coming.

Sgilley Fri 10-Jul-20 11:20:15

Us, 43 years and still happy. All the aforementioned.

firdaus19 Fri 10-Jul-20 11:10:37

Thank you OP for this lovely & uplifting post!
40+ years and counting here.
Not perfect obviously, but nothing that a good dose of 'Pollyanna approach' hasn't been able to take care of. And when it doesn't seem to work, you ask? "Double the dose!", is the advice I read once and endeavour to apply.
Mind you, chances are if my husband were ever to read this he'd probably think, "What is she on about?! I'm the one who needs a triple dose of it every day!!" grin

Patsy429 Fri 10-Jul-20 11:09:24

51 years this year and we have a comfortable and happy relationship. Even my DD commented that you and dad seem to be ok as we both have our own interests and I think the family thought we would be at each other's throats!

But we've settled down to a routine during lockdown and it's been good for us to spend more time together. We've got each other sussed after so long together.

moggie57 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:44:19

People should be greatful for someone just to be there with them .us single ladies /men go home to an empty house.everyday

Skweek1 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:33:04

OK, so my marriage isn't quite perfect - only about 95%! - but although he's severely disabled, a dreadful grouch and can't easily get out of the house, but we wouldn't be without one another for all the tea in China!

Grosvenor Fri 10-Jul-20 10:26:46

I was divorced at 37, nearly 50 years ago. Chose not to marry again, like my own company and have a lovely family. I really enjoyed reading about all the long marriages, shows it can be done with love and give-and take.on both sides. My friends are a mixture of divorcees, widows and happily marrieds.

schnackie Fri 10-Jul-20 10:22:15

Having had no luck or judgement with regard to relationships myself, I get tremendous joy from seeing my DD and SIL cherishing each other after 14 years of marriage (19 years together). They struggled to have their 2 precious children (IVF) and have had some difficult times, but when I visit and they look at each other with complete understanding and love, or my SIL passes my DD and kisses her on top of the head (he is tall and she is short), it makes my heart so happy. They have mutual respect, share household and parenting duties and laugh together, which I think may be the most important thing.

mumofmadboys Fri 10-Jul-20 10:16:58

Only married 39 years here so a newcomer compared to some of you. We are very happy. Of course we have had some ups and downs but that is life! It is lovely to know we will be together until death parts us. No regrets.

harrigran Fri 10-Jul-20 10:10:49

We have been together 57 years and it is pretty much as good as you can get.
He looks after me, does all the housework and cooking.
I keep telling him I married him for his money which puzzles him because he had none when I met him.
I am a bit of a witch and said I knew he was going to be rich and successful, he had to agree with me being a witch grin

Moggycuddler Fri 10-Jul-20 10:10:07

41 years here. Not perfect, had our little moments, but we'll be together till the end. Not much sex stuff these days but a lot of talking and laughing and sharing. Like a pair of comfortable old slippers now.

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 10-Jul-20 10:00:58

We've had our ups and downs over the past 51yrs but still going strong. Wouldn't have it any other way. Not signalling just answering the OP's question.

magshard20 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:50:05

Puzzled, married almost 50 years, and as you say not all rosy every day, but we put any differences away after we have visited them, we agree to disagree on numerous matters, but the difference nowadays is we talk, and stay together, not running to divorce lawyers as soon as something isn't as it should be. It really annoys me that you see "so called" celebrities as soon as a crack appears going straight away for a divorce and not even giving their marriage another try!!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 10-Jul-20 09:28:38

No doom and gloom in this house. Been married only 26 years but we are so happy. He does his share of the house work, including cleaning the loo and does the ironing. If he starts to get on my nerves I simply say going for a walk and walk away the moment. Going out now for a cycle ride into the city to visit the bank.

Greyduster Fri 10-Jul-20 09:28:14

We had our fifty fourth anniversary recently and I put in his card something or other about ups and downs. The next day, when I tore into him for some minor misdemeanour, he said “Er, that’ll be a down, then?”. But there have been plenty of ups, and deep sadnesses, and losses, young and old. But I’m proud we have come this far, and I don’t mind saying so. One thing I have learned is that it’s safer to buy my own lingerie!!!

Heather51 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:26:44

Completely agree with MarieEliza and Lemongrove about too much doom and gloom in the media. They always make life seem so black. Our local ‘Nextdoor’ website recently posted two good news stories about the county police’s actions and it was gratifying to see lots of people thanking and congratulating them instead of the usual slating and inappropriate comments. Bring on the good news!

By the way, been married 50 years in September (not always perfect, plenty of disagreements etc, but still very happy together). However, we’re unable to have much of a celebration because I have just restarted chemotherapy for the 4th time. I can always find a positive side to everything though and when I have chemo it makes my rheumatoid arthritis take a break - so every cloud has a silver lining! I know, I drive my friends and family batty ?

TanaMa Fri 10-Jul-20 09:10:19

Before his untimely death after almost 50 years together my beloved always bought frilly panties and bras, also perfume which he liked me to wear every day. He even had pretty stiletto shoes made for me! Even though he is no longer here I still wear his favourite perfume every day - even if I am only gardening!
He had been in the R.N. so was able to turn his hand to most things and would cook etc if necessary.

Suziemarie Fri 10-Jul-20 09:01:44

35 wonderful years together and I know I'm lucky and can truly say my husband is my best friend. Life's not perfect but my husband in my opinion is. ❤

mancgirl Fri 10-Jul-20 09:00:26

49 years married this year. Had a couple of rough patches from bad decisions rather than personal issues. We are ying and yang but he's our rock and we all love him. He did once buy me an underwear set for Christmas, years ago. Out it fell from the giftwrap. Our sons in their 20's at the time shouted with laughter and asked had he meant to give them to nan! Returned to the shop and never bought any since. I do get flowers instead of a Christmas card each year and he's got much better at choosing gifts. Usually because I've told him what I want, along with pictures and product number!

Mollygo Fri 10-Jul-20 08:59:51

Lovely to hear some good news on here. Good news doesn’t make for great sales in the media so it’s mostly doom, gloom and politics.
We’ve been together for years. He’s good, kind and supportive and if we drive each other up the wall sometimes, it doesn’t last. That’s life.
He hasn’t bought me surprise presents, not even knickers, for years, but if there’s something I’d like, he encourages me to go for it if we can afford it.

zsazsa Fri 10-Jul-20 08:55:34

It's "only" 30 years next February as we found each other late in life but have been blissfully happy soulmates until DH got Alzheimer's 7 years ago. It's my privilege to care for him at home for as long as I can, in thanks for our many wonderful years together.
But it's lovely to hear of others' good relationships, as well as those from those who are unhappy....there's room for everyone on Gransnet.