Gransnet forums

Relationships

How to convince someone you love them

(30 Posts)
LadyBella Wed 15-Jul-20 21:20:32

My DS is the eldest of my 2 AC. Now in his 40s he is single, independent and reasonably well off. He lives 150 miles from me. I live near my DD and my DGS with whom I spend a lot of time. My DS was always jealous of his sister as a child. He resented her coming along and taking up my time - at the time I had no help from anyone and she was a demanding infant whereas he was quiet. But he and I have always had a good relationship and chat regularly on the phone, sometimes for up to an hour. But I rarely see him. He is always busy with work or friends or off somewhere on holiday. Part of the reason he doesn't visit much I think is that he still resents his sister but what can I do about that? I live near her so it's obvious I'm going to play more of a part in her life than in his on a day-to-day basis. Basically I don't think he has ever accepted how much I love him. I do fear that he is somewhat cold like his father from whom I'm divorced and that it's just his nature. But I miss him and before I pop my clogs I'd love him to know how much I loved him as a little boy and how I love him and am proud of him as a man although I have actually said this to him more than once. He had a wonderful fiancee for many years but ended the relationship and, since she has been off the scene, he has become more distant. I think about him constantly but it seems he's quite happy doing his own thing and seeing me is a duty rather than a pleasure. I get quite sad about it all. I'd love him to really realise how much I love and care but, if I wrote it in a letter, I think he'd be scornful. Perhaps it's his nature. He rarely wanted to be cuddled when he was young. And yet, on the rare occasions when we do spend time together, we never stop talking and have a lot of fun. Maybe one day if he ever has a child of his own he might understand. What do Gransnetters think?

SueEH Thu 16-Jul-20 19:19:18

As above ladybella! The most important thing is to keep talking. My parents treated myself and my brother totally equally but unbeknown to any of us he and his wife (who don’t have children) harboured a huge resentment against myself and my cousin (who do).
When the plans for my mum’s 80th birthday were changed slightly - at her request - my brother and his wife behaved disgracefully. Brother nearly hit my dad and sister in law hurled verbal abuse at my mum. If seems that they thought the celebration had been changed to suit myself and my cousin. It hadn’t... if mum wanted to abseil down Blackpool Tower stark naked it would still have been up to her ?
Upshot is that they have seen my brother once in 14 years. He sends birthday etc cards which my dad filches out of the post and puts in the bin. I believe that whilst there’s life there’s hope but it’s looking a little bleak. Surely if he had communicated with us we could have understood how they felt and my mother would not be heartbroken?

Hawera1 Fri 17-Jul-20 00:41:15

I have the same problem with my son. He was never cuddly but he was also hard to.talk to. I don't see him.as much as I'd like. I would suggest you text.him regularly and just say how's your day going. You can say I love you too. Ring him and say what say we set a day aside each month where we can spend quality one on one time together and say I.miss you. My son isn't jealous but I've seen many thAt are both daughters and sons.

rosecarmel Fri 17-Jul-20 05:23:20

I agree with others, tell him you love him-

Hithere Fri 17-Jul-20 14:30:54

Your son knows you love him. You have a good relationship with him while you would like more contact.

I would caution performing actions on one end that releases and improves that anxiety while it may put the burden on the other side.