Gransnet forums

Relationships

How to convince someone you love them

(29 Posts)
V3ra Thu 16-Jul-20 00:05:21

Rather than him visit you, could you visit him? You could stay in a Premier Inn or similar if you felt it would be a bit too much to stay at his home.
You could have some time together without his sister being nearby, so he might feel more relaxed.
From what you say you have a good relationship when you do talk, but the contact is infrequent. One of my sons is the same and he only lives a mile away!

FarNorth Wed 15-Jul-20 22:08:42

That all sounds quite normal to me.
I think you should stop worrying.

welbeck Wed 15-Jul-20 22:04:12

you could write a series of letters, addressed to my favourite son, and leave them where they will be found after yr demise.
that would be a way of you expressing in writing how you feel, without the risk of imposing on him, embarrassing him, when he phones you.
your relationship with him does not sound too bad; many mothers would count themselves lucky to have that much contact and conversation.
maybe he does not want to share the details of his life with you because it is private and/ or he thinks you might disapprove/ not understand.
you cannot change his character. try not to think of the past too much, it's all a construction anyway, and may not be the way he feels or sees things. good luck.

LadyBella Wed 15-Jul-20 21:20:32

My DS is the eldest of my 2 AC. Now in his 40s he is single, independent and reasonably well off. He lives 150 miles from me. I live near my DD and my DGS with whom I spend a lot of time. My DS was always jealous of his sister as a child. He resented her coming along and taking up my time - at the time I had no help from anyone and she was a demanding infant whereas he was quiet. But he and I have always had a good relationship and chat regularly on the phone, sometimes for up to an hour. But I rarely see him. He is always busy with work or friends or off somewhere on holiday. Part of the reason he doesn't visit much I think is that he still resents his sister but what can I do about that? I live near her so it's obvious I'm going to play more of a part in her life than in his on a day-to-day basis. Basically I don't think he has ever accepted how much I love him. I do fear that he is somewhat cold like his father from whom I'm divorced and that it's just his nature. But I miss him and before I pop my clogs I'd love him to know how much I loved him as a little boy and how I love him and am proud of him as a man although I have actually said this to him more than once. He had a wonderful fiancee for many years but ended the relationship and, since she has been off the scene, he has become more distant. I think about him constantly but it seems he's quite happy doing his own thing and seeing me is a duty rather than a pleasure. I get quite sad about it all. I'd love him to really realise how much I love and care but, if I wrote it in a letter, I think he'd be scornful. Perhaps it's his nature. He rarely wanted to be cuddled when he was young. And yet, on the rare occasions when we do spend time together, we never stop talking and have a lot of fun. Maybe one day if he ever has a child of his own he might understand. What do Gransnetters think?