Gransnet forums

Relationships

Winning my Daughter-in-law Over

(103 Posts)
cafegal Tue 21-Jul-20 21:58:03

My son married a beautiful young woman in 2016. For the start, I thought we would have a good relationship. The first baby came in 2017 and she absolutely welcomed me over. Then 2019 the second child was born and even at the start of her pregnancy she was pushing me away.

I always try to be accommodating, maybe too much. And even before Covid-19 she would always have an excuse why the time I wanted to swing by to see the kids just didn't work. My son says "come by any time mom", yet when I have tried I hear ... "we just put the kids down".

I haven't seen my grandson (3) and granddaughter (1) since December 2019. My son is too busy to even call me on Mother's Day. Sure I got a text message but nothing else.

This just breaks my heart. I sent her a card today to tell her that I miss her and that when COVID ends I hope we can get to see one another.

What do you recommend I do to win her over?

Lesley60 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:50:37

If you had a good relationship before the second baby do you think she has postnatal depression or problems coping with two small children.
I don’t call into my daughter unannounced as I know how busy she is.
I wouldn’t listen to your son about calling in anytime, you know what most men are like they don’t realise women like to have the house looking nice etc.

Kim19 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:56:37

Just a thought..... do you have any sort of relationship with DiL's Mum? If so, maybe run the situation by her? Not in an accusative way, of course. Sometimes side entrances lead to the communal area.

ladymuck Fri 24-Jul-20 12:03:10

It can be difficult for newly weds to adjust to being part of someone else's family as well as their own. When grandchildren arrive, they are part of both families.
The reason I say this is because I had difficulty with my in-laws just 'dropping in', and expecting to be made welcome.

The best thing is to arrange for visits to take place on a particular day and time. Then you know you are expected.

Illte Fri 24-Jul-20 12:16:47

Of course you will come second. Or third or fourth or fifth, depending on how many children he has.
If course his wife and children will come first.

I'm afraid that if you're giving the message that you expect to be number one in your sons life you are bound to meet with resistance.

Who would want to be married to a man that put his mother first!

oldmom Fri 24-Jul-20 13:50:13

It sounds as though somewhere between babies you said or did something that rankled. Maybe you were trying to be helpful, and never realised, but somewhere there was something that upset her.

You have 2 main choices. Talk to her alone and ask her outright, or let it be and try to make friends with her all over again.

Pay close attention to the things she likes and dislikes. Work hard at gifts. Treat her like she's as special as her kids. Never ever ever offer advice. Give advice only when she asks for it. Never question their family decisions and choices. Never act as though grandparents have rights (they don't).

However much any grandmother loves her grandkids, to the average DIL once a month is quite often enough to see MIL. If you push for more than that, you may well get in trouble.

Nan0 Fri 24-Jul-20 14:22:26

I vowed never to drop in uninvited on my DIL as my MIL used to all the time and it drove me nuts.She was always wanting to be useful and was a very loving person but she didnt understand the concept of me time when one is quietly pottering at home with kids..I always made her welcome as she was soul of hospitality herself...

Seajaye Fri 24-Jul-20 15:28:58

Personally when I had a young family, and as a full time working mother) I liked to be notified at least a day in advance, but preferably a week, before my mother in law came to our house, so I could endeavour to straighten up the house and make sure the loo was clean!

At my husband's open invitation, my MiL would often call round unannounced when we lived closer to her, and it used to annoy me a bit, even though I liked her, as I had to stop what I was doing ( usually housework or shopping) to make tea and chat with her for a couple of hours, while her son did just what he pleased and only spent about 10 minutes with his own mother.

I recommend you limit the number
unplanned visits. Why don't you invite the whole family to yours for Sunday lunch when it's Covid possible, but expect to be flexible over dates and times as they are a busy family in their own right, or give a few days notice of any intended visit to theirs, and check that it will be convenient . Don't take offence if vists are postponed to a more convenient time. You might want to take the occasional treat such as a small bunch of flowers for your daughter in law do that she feels appreciated as a person. Also make visits short and sweet, if they are local, and don't outstay your welcome or expect to stay for meals unless actually invited unless you have established with your DiL whether the visit includes staying for lunch/dinner etc.

Working mums have it tough, so try not to be offended if frequent visits to theirs are not possible. Your son can always bring the grandchildren to visit you if DiL needs a break.

Summerlove Fri 24-Jul-20 20:40:33

magshard20

My D-I-L of over 10 years, is the same with us, she is 6years older than our son, they have a daughter of 9. Son phones us daily usually if going to the shop, if we go to their house (arranged beforehand) and she is in the house, she stays upstairs, perhaps coming down just as we are ready for leaving !! We have got used to the situation now, but still feel left out.
It was her birthday a few weeks ago, I sent her a card, signed it, and put in brackets under our names "the outlaws", I asked son what she thought of it and he said she laughed, the sarcasm I intended probably didn't get through to her though, but I felt better for putting it in writing.

Oh my gosh
I’d be so upset if my mil did that
I hope she took it as well as your son says. I certainly wouldn’t have

Grammaretto Sat 25-Jul-20 09:45:28

I'm blaming the covid-19 for most things at present!
My DD has been badly affected by the isolation. It's as if small things loom large and she worries over every slight or imagined slight.
I actually feel sorry for her in-laws because they are desperate to see the DC (their only DGC) but DD makes excuses to not take them round. I know because we live nearby and I see her in-laws.

I think you just have to keep the contact up through your son, try not to be over sensitive as it is probably all to do with her and nothing you have done wrong.

Text him, DS, and say you would like a video call chat with the children. Surely he can't deny you that!.

Glenfinnan Sun 26-Jul-20 09:05:22

I would send them a little gift of lovely goodies. Perhaps from M&S address it to her. Then on the card put all their names saying you hope they are all ok. Perhaps this would encourage your daughter in law to phone you. Plus all the good advice above, always contact before visiting. Don’t put your son in a difficult position.

Lucca Sun 26-Jul-20 09:15:17

Harris27

I have three sons two who have children and are married. I kept my distance after being treated a bit like this now I text if they want us to visit and ask what’s best. When your the mother of sons you will always come second.

Sweeping generalisation Harris. I’m the mother of two sons and treated with great affection by my daughters in law. Let’s hear some positive comments about daughters in law fir a change !

Chewbacca Sun 26-Jul-20 09:59:25

Let’s hear some positive comments about daughters in law fir a change !

Mine is lovely! A lovely, kind and patient young woman to 2 young children; a loving and supportive wife to my DS and we get on great too. And she happily admits to being a rubbish cook! grin

Flygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 11:05:28

The exact same thing started with us several years ago. Whether we gave notice or not, (again, we too had the benign "you are always welcome" but in reality it was never convenient). I'm afraid that despite out best efforts, and we tried to improve things from all angles, the situation did not recover. We almost felt our DIL was worried that we would develop a good relationship with our grandsons that was rightfully "hers" and she didn't want that. We are now estranged from our son and grandchildren. For us it was a slippery slope.

Flygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 11:07:13

I was going to add, if she doesn't want a healthy relationship with you it will not be possible to "win her over". Take it from one who tried everything.

annodomini Sun 26-Jul-20 11:38:43

We've probably all been daughters-in-law and mostly are now mothers-in-law. Is it helpful to reflect on how we felt about our own M-i-Ls when we were the D-i-Ls? I was married abroad and didn't meet my I-Ls until we landed back in England. It didn't take me long to realise I had little in common with them, but it didn't matter as we were unlikely to live in the same area, and in the event, we didn't. We were quite far from my parents too. Many years later, I have come to realise that my MiL was probably a little afraid of me as I had a good education and years of interesting experiences before I married her son. She was firmly under the thumb of my F-i-L and, with hindsight, I feel quite sad for her.
I have always been friends with my sons' other halves. My DD-i-L I met when she and my DS were managing winter sports hotels in Switzerland and she gave me a great welcome. We did have a lot in common and, although she and my DS are now divorced, we are still good friends. During isolation, she ordered an afternoon tea and had it sent to me. My other DS and his partner have been together for 25 years but never married. She's very successful in her career and works hard but nevertheless always welcomes me wholeheartedly. We too have much in common, and frequently recommend books we have enjoyed.
If there is anything I have said about getting on with in-laws, I'd emphasise that finding common ground, be it, books, cinema, sports, travel, can be a great way to treat one another as friends and equals - never as rivals.

Chewbacca Sun 26-Jul-20 12:15:28

Good post annodomini.

ExD Sun 26-Jul-20 16:02:45

I am in the same position except its my great grandkids who I never see. I cannot understand what I've done or said to upset their mother, but the heartbreak is real and devastating. I wish I had some advice to pass on, all I can offer is fellow feeling and hugs. I try hard not to be jealous of the other great mother in law ....... but she is not excluded ...... I don't know why. Its not possible to ask, I'm bundled away before I can draw breath at the door. "were just going out, "they're in bed" always some reason I'm not invited in.

Toadinthehole Sun 26-Jul-20 16:12:12

My DIL's are lovely too, but there is still the invisible line over which I won’t cross. So different with my daughters.

Illte Sun 26-Jul-20 16:12:46

Do you mean you just turn up at the door without an invite?

Hithere Sun 26-Jul-20 17:31:52

Illte

I had the same question for the exD

NannaGrandad Tue 28-Jul-20 13:06:01

My DiL wants notice of visits too. Part of me understands but part of me feels really hurt. I’m family, I’m not judging just visiting the people I live.
I do respect the requirement though.
I was always close to my son but now everything is done through DiL. He used to ask us over without asking DiL first and then have to call to cancel.
I’m very welcome on Monday nights when I return DGD after looking after her all day though!
I suck it up, a little is better than none.

Hithere Tue 28-Jul-20 14:50:15

Coordinating visits with anybody is not personal.
Being family does not issue a waiver for that.

A family is usually very busy and it is kind to schedule a visit, so when you visit they can give you their full attention, make special preparations and everybody can enjoy the visit.

The main problem is being at different phases in your lives. One party has more time than the other, different schedules and needs.

Flygirl Wed 29-Jul-20 01:25:50

I'm in the same position ExD.
Horrible, isn't it?

Madgran77 Wed 29-Jul-20 07:13:45

If there is anything I have said about getting on with in-laws, I'd emphasise that finding common ground, be it, books, cinema, sports, travel, can be a great way to treat one another as friends and equals - never as rivals.

That is so true anno-domini. I think though that it can be impossible to get to that point if, for whatever reason the new SIL/DIL does not want to do that.

That can be where egg shell treading can arise particularly once grandchildren are on the scene.

Lolo81 Thu 30-Jul-20 01:58:23

Madgran77, I completely agree it takes two willing parties to forge that kind of friendship. And I applaud anno-domini for sensible advise about finding common ground.
The important thing is to try and achieve that kind of relationship where possible before GC are on the scene and value the new in-law as a person instead of as a way to facilitate seeing a GC. By that time it can be too late as the transparency is obvious.