Gransnet forums

Relationships

What would you do in my shoes, dear GN’s?

(157 Posts)
Cuckooz Thu 23-Jul-20 14:52:15

This is my first post, so please be kind ?
Here goes....I’ve been married to my husband for nearly 30 years. I’m 63 now and he’s 73. He’s always disliked young children but accepted my two from my first marriage (they were 10 and 13 at the time). Life wasn’t easy and we had our fare share of problems, especially with my children. He was really horrible to them and when I think about it now my heart breaks. There were plenty of times when I thought I should leave him but back then, I loved him so I stayed, putting him first and my children second. Big mistake. I won’t go into that now though.

My two children are now happily married adults and I am the very proud granny of 4 beautiful grandchildren.

My husband still dislikes small children and when one of my AC visits with their 2DC my husband gets a mood on as soon as he knows they are coming. They do not visit often - maybe once or twice a year - and only for about 3 or 4 nights at a time, never longer. Whilst they are here he’ll go out all day and will only get back late and then he stays in our bedroom. He may say hello to my AC but he totally ignores the children. It’s always very strained when they are here. I will never have a family gathering because both my AC know what my husband is like and they don’t want to put their children through what they went through. They only visit because of me. I tend to visit them more and stay for a week or so here and there. We all live over a hundred miles from each other.

For a number of years my husband and I haven’t done things together like holidays or outings. There’s no romance in our lives and we’ve been celibate for about 20 years. We don’t have family gatherings (he doesn’t have any family) and we don’t have friends. We basically just live together and plod on.

There’s an impending visit on the horizon so today, I asked my husband to cut the metal rods that are poking through the wooden sleepers in our garden. They were used to stabilise sleepers into the ground. They are dangerous, poking up about 6 or 8 inches here and there, but we know where they are so are careful when we’re out in the garden. My grandchildren won’t know where they are. He said why should he pander to the children. If they get hurt it’s their fault. I then asked him how he would feel if one of the children fell and the rod went through their eye and would he like something like that on his conscience. He replied that he doesn’t care about the little f...er and if that happens the kid deserves it.

I couldn’t believe what I heard, my heart broke. I told him he was evil and that I went through loads of troubles with him with my children and put him first and I’m not going through it all again with my grandchildren.

I asked him to pack his bags and leave. I don’t want him here. How on earth do you make someone leave though? He’s still here. I’ve asked him twice to go. The house and car are in my name. We have a joint bank account. I said he can take the car and he can have the money but he must just go. He’s still here.

Could you forgive someone like my husband? I have an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think of what he said. I have so many regrets. I should have left him years ago. I don’t love him. I don’t hate him. I just don’t want him here.

What would you do?

Jaybett Thu 06-Aug-20 16:15:22

I divorced my ex Husband 6 years ago after 28 years of marriage. All the money and property was in his name. I got less than 50% of the assets because I could only have 50% of what I could prove to the court he had.

You cannot force a married spouse to leave or change the locks, but you can lock half the house off as long as you both have access to bathroom and kitchen facilities.

You can withdraw all the money from a joint account but the court may decide you need to pay his half back.

I told the truth in court my ex lied to everyone throughout but ended up paying the £50k court bill. Information about yours and his financials is key and be prepared for him to say some really evil things as he will continue to be nasty as he always has been.

Stick to your goal of being shot of him, I did and love my life now. I wish you the best of luck!

timetogo2016 Mon 03-Aug-20 09:57:40

Lucca is spot on.
I left my marriage after over 32 years and NEVER looked back and never been happier.
Be brave.

welbeck Sun 02-Aug-20 02:43:04

ditto

B9exchange Sun 02-Aug-20 00:06:48

You are taking the first steps on the road to a new, better life, I wish you every success, you deserve it!

Forestflame Sat 01-Aug-20 23:51:11

Keep us posted Cuckooz. We are all here for you if you need support.

avitorl Tue 28-Jul-20 14:32:07

Good luck for your future.It will be so much better when you are free to live the life you want.

Cuckooz Tue 28-Jul-20 14:03:36

I thank all of you for your compassion and sound advice. It means a lot to me ?

I am staying with my daughter for a few weeks and once I go back home I will start making plans to go our separate ways. Having done all this with my first husband I know I’m not in for an easy time but with the support of my AC I know I’ll get through it. I’m going to try my hardest to stay positive even though I know things will get tough along the way. At least I’ll have peace of mind and won’t be walking on glass every time a family visit is on the horizon.
Once again gransnetters, thank you so much ?

manny Sun 26-Jul-20 07:05:07

I reached out to Gransnet with a similar problem and was very glad I did. I felt less alone. I know just how you must be feeling. It’s truly horrible. One of the worst things is knowing how much better things could be if the other person were willing to change their behaviour just a bit and try to be less selfish and controlling. You end up realising that your feelings just don’t matter and that he just doesn’t care about what your life is like. You don’t deserve this.

Elizabeth1 Sat 25-Jul-20 17:50:37

cucooz how sad, I feel dearly for you putting up with this sort of behaviour from the man you’ve loved for many years why don’t you stay with your family a week or a fortnight at a time they can then organise beautiful family gatherings especially for you and like the other gnetters have said seek legal advice ASAP flowers

Marmight Sat 25-Jul-20 17:28:02

See Cuckooz yesterday (Friday) at 07.04 !!

avitorl Sat 25-Jul-20 16:51:54

Whilst I totally agree that OP should start a new life for herself I really don't think she would be allowed to lock her husband of 30 years out on the streets.
I wonder what would be said if this was a 63 year old man locking his 73year old wife out of the Marital home because the house was in his name only?

Dressagediva123 Sat 25-Jul-20 14:55:52

1. You are in an abusive relationship.
2. If the house is in your name you have every right to turn him out. He would be able to claim some of the equity if it’s owned by you / due to the fact you are married .
3. You maybe able to get an order to get him out / get legal advice / you sound like you maybe in danger .
Don’t delay - you only have one life. He is toxic and can’t be allowed to infect anymore of your life . Good luck ?

grandmaz Sat 25-Jul-20 09:58:35

Well done Cuckooz you've made the decision and that's the hardest part. We are all here if you need support and encouragement as you deal with both the practical and emotional issues which will need sorting. Sending a big hug and my very best wishes for a much happier life when you are free of your husband's unkindness and negativity. He'll probably tell you that you can't do it for a thousand reasons - don't believe him...you can!! I know, I've done it! flowersxx

Marmight Sat 25-Jul-20 09:53:45

Well done Cuckooz for coming to a decision. Brave choice. You are very young still and have years ahead of you to be happy and do your own thing and be happy with your family.

Daftbag1 Sat 25-Jul-20 07:15:57

I'm sorry that things have come to this, life must be awful for you both. I can't advise on the legal front, but I think (and I don't know if it would make a difference), your husband at 73, would be considered a 'vulnerable adult', by virtue of his age.

I think as others have suggested that you need legal advice, but in the meantime, perhaps you could pad the steel poles sticking out of the sleepers, and pop on a flag / ribbon or similar so that children can see them.

Florida12 Sat 25-Jul-20 06:29:44

You have had some sound advice.
Transfer your money, don’t feel that you have to explain, just do it.
Don’t make offers to him for example, the car etc.
He does sound nasty and controlling, so beware! Get to a solicitor ASAP, just do it and don’t tell him.
It is a very tricky time for a woman once she initiates divorce proceedings, so keep your wits about you.
It’s awful when they won’t leave, you feel powerless, I wouldn’t change the locks, and my solicitor advised not to leave the family home, unless your safety is threatened, then phone the police.
Be true to yourself and stick to your guns.
Do keep in touch if you can. Take care.xx

Cymres1 Sat 25-Jul-20 00:32:43

Some really good advice already, don't trust him to be fair for a moment, but get sound advice ASAP.

Forestflame Fri 24-Jul-20 23:44:27

Be careful about changing the locks. Get legal advice first. I was told if I changed the locks I could be done for desertion as I would be stopping him getting access to his property. I would also advise you to make sure to get your personal documents such as birth certificate, passport etc out of the house. My friend did not do this and her soon to be ex husband destroyed them which made life difficult. I would also make sure you get the marriage certificate and give it to the solicitor as this helps make the initial process a bit quicker.

pinkquartz Fri 24-Jul-20 23:43:48

I hope you stay strong and leave this pathetic excuse of a human being.

What he has said is unforgivable.

You will be happier away form such a poisonous person.
Once away from him you will find happiness with others. he has no doubt kept family and friends away.....and be honest with your children.

welbeck Fri 24-Jul-20 23:29:57

re the above sad story, sometimes a blunt phrase is apposite.
as MN would say, a cocklodger.

Urmstongran Fri 24-Jul-20 21:08:18

Ah Cookooz I have a friend out here in Spain who basically prioritised her partner over her own needs. She bankrolled him for 17 years before waking up ‘to smell the coffee’. She looks back now & says why didn’t she give her head a wobble? She didn’t want to be lonely. So she paid, as she said, a high price for companionship. She admitted a friend said ‘oh P.... he’s just a poor man’s gigolo’. It hurt at the time but looking back, she says the friend was right. So sad.

welbeck Fri 24-Jul-20 20:19:05

Keffie12 Fri 24-Jul-20 18:37:01
He has no legal right to be there. The house is in your name. Packs his things, call a locksmith and change the locks.

if they are legally married, this is incorrect. it is the marital home, so he does have a right to be there. she cannot treat him like an unmarried partner or a lodger if he is spouse.
another reason to seek urgent legal advice.
Op, i don;t think you should tell him anything of what you intend until you have taken advice.
also contact womens' aid, and ring police 101 for advice re emotional abuse, coercive control, and in case he turns nasty.

Sparklefizz Fri 24-Jul-20 19:15:01

We are not lawyers. Making statements like "get half the money, change the locks, house is in your name, pack his things, etc" can backfire very easily

I agree with Hithere's comment above. Be very careful and do nothing until you have seen a solicitor.

jerseygirl Fri 24-Jul-20 19:08:20

You must see a solicitor and get some advice. You still have the rest of your life to live and you dont want or need to be stuck in this relationship that is going nowhere. You need to put your children and grandchildren first . His attitude towards them is horrendous especially the grandchildren. Please dont plod on anymore. Enjoy you family.
Good luck to you. xx

Hithere Fri 24-Jul-20 18:48:53

We are not lawyers.

Making statements like "get half the money, change the locks, house is in your name, pack his things, etc" can backfire very easily