Gransnet forums

Relationships

Feeling sidelined re grandchildren

(27 Posts)
jellybeanjean Fri 31-Jul-20 10:11:01

I remarried 3 years ago after a marriage, mainly unhappy, that lasted for 38 years. My current husband is disabled and needs 24 hour care. I have a son and daughter from my previous marriage; both now have their own children, DD lives in London and DS in Somerset (ex husband also lives in Somerset).
Because of lockdown/COVID, we haven't been able to see each other since the beginning of the year. When I have visited my DS, we stay in a nearby hotel as they can't accommodate us due to my husband's disability. I've stayed with my DD a few times (once to help out after she had her miracle IVF twins) but I have to leave my husband at home (with help) as they can't accommodate him. They've no room for us now as their house is tiny.
DD Whatsapps me almost every day so I can babble with the babies (they'll be one next month!) but I don't hear from my son unless I contact him! I rarely see my DIL as she's often working but we get on fine. Their girls are 7 and 4 and are a delight.
We managed to meet up with DS and daughters yesterday at an outdoor spot equidistant between the two households, which was lovely; perfect weather, we both took picnics and generally had a nice time, apart from the fact that DS was constantly checking his phone and hardly spoke a word. The girls were lovely. DS mentioned in passing that DD and family are visiting them in Somerset next weekend; ex husband is moving out of his house and staying with DS so that DD and family can have ex's house as a COVID free base. So they are all meeting up and spending the whole weekend together; DD hadn't mentioned this to me. DS also told us that he is spending two weeks in August camping with his wife's family in Shropshire.
Hopefully on Sunday we're meeting up with DD and family, again at an outdoor venue equidistant from both, just for a couple of hours but of course with no cuddles etc.
Is it me? I just feel a bit sidelined, lonely and rather jealous, to be honest. It's almost as if they don't really want to see me.

Beauregard Mon 03-Aug-20 09:05:40

Diygran yes very similar situation, including the large deposit for the house!! And also when you say DD just follows what he wants, our SIL is the more dominant one in the relationship so always dictates what they do. You'd think a daughter would always be considerate towards her mum, but not always the case.