Gransnet forums

Relationships

It’s put a dampener on what should be a happy time.

(50 Posts)
bytheway Mon 10-Aug-20 13:35:36

Hi All,

Please tell me if I’m over reacting.

I’m the youngest of first 4 girls and have often had a problem with one or more of my sisters treating me as the ‘youngest’ putting me down and somehow forming what feels like a ‘gang’ against me. This is usually by my two middle sisters though my oldest has her moments too.

So to get to my dilemma. As we all live 100,s miles apart we have a Watsapp group to exchange chit chat and updates on my Dad from those that live close to him and talk about our children and GC etc...

So a couple of months ago I applied and got early retirement, I was so happy and told them all on the group. Only one answered to say ‘she doesn’t blame me for taking retirement’ but not one of them said congratulations. I mentioned it again in a relevant chat about 1 month ago and again no congratulations...nothing.

So last Friday was my last day at work, I had gifts, calls and emails (I’m working from home cos of Covid so not possible to go into office) from friends and colleagues. But nothing, not one word from any of my sisters. All of whom knew it was my last day. I didn’t put anything on our group but I did put pictures of gifts and cards I had received on faceache so I know they would have seen them.

It’s really put a dampener on the start of my retirement and made me feel quite down.

My feelings are that they are all in jobs they dislike and are jealous or envious and see me, the youngest, out of the rat race. Also, my husband had a very large inheritance this year which has made our lives a lot more comfortable, I’ve never bleated about it but they know something of it.

I don’t know....I just really needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening

SueDonim Tue 11-Aug-20 11:45:59

Gloatymacgloatface. ???

I think my dh had a farewell gift and there was a bit of a do in the office but as he’s worked in numerous places over the years it wasn’t a gold carriage clock affair when he retired. Anyway, he went back to work 18mths later. grin I don’t think anyone in the family sent congratulations to him, it would have been a shock if they had!

I did send my brother a card when he retired but only because it was a jokey one that made me laugh. He’s always been a keen winemaker and just before he retired he’d taken up cycle riding again (not in a MAMIL way, just as a means to get from A to B locally). The card, the punchline of which I cannot now recall, featured a man on a bike with bottles of wine in a wicker basket on the front. It seemed appropriate to my brother’s likely retirment habits. grin

gillybob Tue 11-Aug-20 11:22:11

I worked hard, planned and saved for our retirements when siblings decided to enjoy their money at the time and not bother with private or company pensions, so I don't feel guilty at all

Oh that old chestnut “I worked hard” grin

Makes me laugh. Do you not think there are thousands of people who have worked equally as hard , harder even on the lowest wages and never been in a position to save a penny .

annep1 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:13:18

Illte grin

twinnytwin Tue 11-Aug-20 10:48:00

I think when my grandfather retired (born 1900) it used to be an event as most folk retired at 60 or 65. Most didn't last long after retirement. He died at 66. These days thankfully, most people are able to enjoy a reasonably lengthy retirement (I realise not everyone does) so it isn't the event it was.
I also suffer with some family envy, but my husband and I worked hard, planned and saved for our retirements when siblings decided to enjoy their money at the time and not bother with private or company pensions, so I don't feel guilty at all. Enjoy your retirement - we've loved every minute of ours.

LadyBella Tue 11-Aug-20 10:47:01

They're probably envious. When something good happens you normally find out who is genuinely pleased for you and who is jealous. When DH and I got married (2nd time round for both of us) apart from immediate family we only received 2 cards and both of those from happily-married people. I think some other people we know were jealous. Someone once told me don't ever envy anyone as there's always someone richer than you, cleverer than you and better-looking than you. It's so true.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:46:02

I don’t know why you’re upset. You started by saying you’d always had a problem with at least one of your sisters. It sounds like you have a good relationship with everyone else, why bother?

gillybob Tue 11-Aug-20 10:39:07

Illte

I expect they are a bit envious and you did rather rub their noses in it? Posting it, repeating the posting and a third go by putting up pictures of gifts and cards.

Do you think you may have come over as Gloatymacgloatface? ?

That’s one of the funniest comments I’ve ever read in Gransnet Illte grin

I’m not sure what there is to congratulate on a retirement these days , especially an early one. It used to be that someone had put in 40+ years of hard graft and got a gold clock or whatever . These days many of us will probably drop dead before we can officially retire .

Callistemon Tue 11-Aug-20 10:34:47

Illte
?

To put it bluntly - giving them the s***s

Very insensitive.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 10:28:50

illte ?

lemongrove Mon 10-Aug-20 20:17:08

Illte ?

Illte Mon 10-Aug-20 20:11:29

I expect they are a bit envious and you did rather rub their noses in it? Posting it, repeating the posting and a third go by putting up pictures of gifts and cards.

Do you think you may have come over as Gloatymacgloatface? ?

annep1 Mon 10-Aug-20 18:53:14

Everybody's different. My husband's sister sent a card and a present. Other one nothing. My family totally ignored mine. They may not realise how much it means to you. They may be a little jealous. Especially about the inheritance. (I am!)
Ignore it. Just enjoy your retirement It's not important really. ?

Grannynannywanny Mon 10-Aug-20 18:40:43

Early retirement and a large inheritance?? Never mind your sisters, I’m jealous and I don’t even know you! ?

Seriously though, it’s not worth bothering about. Relax and enjoy your future. Life’s too short.
Wishing you a happy and healthy retirement ?

Mapleleaf Mon 10-Aug-20 18:37:28

I think other than maybe a congratulations or a “don’t blame you, enjoy it” comment, I wouldn’t expect (nor got) anything more from family. It’s retirement, that’s all, not a big birthday or wedding, etc. Don’t fret over it would be my advice.

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 18:37:12

You probably will, I may well not!

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-20 18:35:24

11 years to go yet.
I'll never make it that long.

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 18:33:16

I send you champagne, MissA!!

(An emoji)

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-20 18:31:51

I want the world to celebrate my great joy with me (if I'm still here) on the day I retire, never mind a measly "congratulations" smile

GrandmaMoira Mon 10-Aug-20 18:28:35

I would expect some kind of gift and leaving do from colleagues but have not heard of anyone congratulating a family member for retiring.

ginny Mon 10-Aug-20 17:22:15

Some people like to make a big thing of retirement. Party, gifts etc.
Friends of ours had big gifts from their AC and a big holiday.
DH and I just retired and we’re so glad we didn’t need anything else.
It probably just wasn’t a big deal them.

B9exchange Mon 10-Aug-20 17:17:43

I can't recall any of the family taking any notice of my retirement. I can understand your sisters feeling miserable at having to keep working whilst you don't, perhaps you could offer them some sympathy and say you didn't mean to crow about it, and that it will give you the opportunity to meet up sometime soon?

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 17:16:42

bytheway
Congratulations on your retirement ??

I don't remember my family noticing either, nor did I when they retired.

V3ra Mon 10-Aug-20 17:14:57

We live many miles away from our siblings as well. Some of us are still working, some have retired. I don't remember marking the occasion within the family, it's more a chance for colleagues to say their goodbyes.
Don't let it upset you, just plan a lovely future and enjoy the opportunity to do what you fancy ?

lemongrove Mon 10-Aug-20 17:09:47

Squiffy

It would never have occurred to me to be congratulated (by family) on retiring! Perhaps your sisters are the same.

Put it behind you and enjoy your retirement! flowers

Exactly my thoughts too.

Grandmabatty Mon 10-Aug-20 17:05:53

Like any other big life event, retirement changes dynamics. I retired early and my family and friends celebrated that with me, as did colleagues. Maybe they were glad to get rid of me! My family knew how hard I had worked and celebrated that I could relax a bit. I sympathise with you. It would have been nice if your family had acknowledged that. However they didn't so perhaps they are jealous, perhaps it's not a big thing for them. Let it go, don't give it headroom and enjoy your retirement! I do.