Gransnet forums

Relationships

Do I call Social Services? I really could use some help?

(92 Posts)
SadNanna29 Mon 24-Aug-20 15:03:59

This is a long post. Please bear with me. I am scared that I will lose my beautiful grand daughter.

My DIL and Son had a beautiful little girl nearly three years ago. From day one I have had concerns about the way he speaks to her and treats her. My DIL had a traumatic birth and resulted in a full prolapse and stoma bag. My son stayed with DIL for the whole duration of her hospital stay and wasn't really concerned about his daughter. Who was being looked after by her mother.

My sons relationship with his daughter is one that scares and worries me. Ever since she was born he has taken great delight in calling her names such as bitch, retard to name just two. When I have asked him to stop his reply was that "it's funny". I am mortified. He then continued to control her in ways such as, not being allowed to go into the garden, not too much Sun. If I asked if I could take her for a walk the answer is always no. For no other reason than he knows it upsets me and when I asked why, I'm told, "she's my daughter I can do what I want with her.

DIL and Son actually separated mid year this year and so now Son sees her Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat. Sometimes Sunday. You may think this is great but he only does it so he can see his ex-wife. He is utterly fixated with his ex wife. There is no concern for his little girl or her development. He works from home and often sits for 8 hours on his laptop while she wanders around the front room playing with the toys I've bought. Throughout Summer he wouldn't let her in the garden because he didn't like the Sun. She isn't allowed milk because she's "milk intolerant". She has never been tested. She had ring worm and when I mentioned that he could get her some cream he said that it was the washing pods he was using? Whenever she went to itch it, he shout at her to stop doing it.

He seems to take delight in making her cry. He picked her up a few weeks ago and proceeded to spin her around and she was hysterical. I challenged him and asked why making his daughter cry like that was fun. He said, "because it's funny."

She is absolutely terrified of the bath. She didn't used to be. But recently he decided that she needed a bath at 5pm. She looked at me and started crying saying that "I don't like it Nanna". She really was sobbing. When I asked why doesn't she like it he said, "she's putting it on and they are crocodile tears." When they were staying with us in the beginning of the separation I witnessed him washing her hair. She hates the water in her eyes. I had to go in and beg him to stop. She was screaming so much that she had wet herself. I bought a hair washing cap so it didn't go in her eyes. He refused to use it saying that "we don't do tears in this house."

I am now at the point where I dread the days I know that this innocent little girl goes to stay with my Son. When I go and visit she runs to me and constantly sticks by my side.

I'm not allowed to speak to his ex wife as per his instructions. Despite my saying that I want to continue having a relationship with her. But if I do speak to her he will stop my seeing my grand daughter.

A couple of weeks ago she had a bruise on her forehead. When I asked how she did it, he said she was throwing some socks around and she fell over some weights and banged her head. Yet when I asked my grand daughter, she said "Daddy smacked me."

Please help. I don't know what to do.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 29-Aug-20 10:47:12

Having read all this thread, it appears SadNanna, has reported him, just anonymously, which is an understandable first step. It’s easy for us to say what we think should be done to him, but all said and done, he is still her son, and it must be difficult for her, but she knows the child’s welfare is paramount. I don’t really understand what the DIL is doing in all this. Doesn’t she care either? Do what it takes SadNanna, to protect your granddaughter, as others have said. Better no access at all, than a dead little girl. Sending you my good wishes?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 29-Aug-20 10:27:08

You should report this to the NSPCC and Social services as soon as possible.

Alexa Sat 29-Aug-20 10:23:59

Yes, report is as soon as possible. Meantime please do stay friendly towards the stupid man so that you might be allowed to be some consolation to the little child.

He obviously will not be told by you what he should and should not be doing, so you need back up from someone who he cannot ignore.

chris8888 Sat 29-Aug-20 09:49:29

This child has 2 parents and grandparents, if you put the adult ie your son before a tiny child then who is there to protect her. Make the call and then at least other professionals are able to help the child.

TwiceAsNice Sat 29-Aug-20 09:40:01

Please phone social services. You can do it without giving your name but give them all the details including those of your DIL. Your son sounds sadistic and could escalate his treatment at any time.

silverlining48 Sat 29-Aug-20 09:27:41

Please just talk this through with social services or get back to nspcc. They will advise and assess. Then offer support to the parents.
No one is going to arrest your son on what you have said here but your granddaughter does need you to report your valid concerns. She is unable to protect herself and this sort of very harsh treatment is damaging and could affect her whole life.

Sparkling Fri 28-Aug-20 19:40:56

Why isn’t the mother bothered? . She is worse than him letting the brute have your granddaughter. If he was my son I would cut him off. Parents on television tonight caused their baby to lose both legs, did someone see and do nothing? Report him, he should be arrested, that would wipe the smile of the cowards face. Is there a way you could have custody, her parents don’t deserve their prescious girl. Please act now. It made me cry to read what she is going through I can’t stop thinking of the mite.

Curlywhirly Fri 28-Aug-20 17:09:22

Sadnanna29 I hope you found the strength today to inform SS of your GD's abuse. I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about that small innocent child's dreadful torment. I also wonder, as other GN members have said, what the mother thinks is going on. Surely your GD must show in someway how unhappy she is when it is your son's turn to have her. I hope between you, you can convince SS to stop all your son's contact with your GD immediately.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 28-Aug-20 15:59:03

Hello, thank you to those who brought this to our attention. sadnanna29 we just wanted to say that support from other gransnetters is great and we really hope you will be able to take some comfort from your fellow posters, but as other gransnetters have said, it's really a good idea to seek real-life help and support as well.

We'd strongly advise reporting any child welfare concerns to the relevant authorities as soon as possible. flowers

MissAdventure Fri 28-Aug-20 15:58:45

Hopefully sadnana will be able to shed a bit more light on the situation, but I wouldn't be waiting around while people "made a note".

BlueBelle Fri 28-Aug-20 15:54:52

That’s what I don’t understand MissA and why is th3 mum only having the child for a short tim3 each week ??

MissAdventure Fri 28-Aug-20 15:48:10

I think I would go over and above just telling the mum..
What is she going to be able to do, if the child's father has joint custody?

This isn't a criticism, but I'm amazed that the mum hasn't at least had some inkling that all is far from well.

BlueBelle Fri 28-Aug-20 15:41:10

I can totally understand other posters anger but this is going to make Sadnanna feel even worse She has come on here for guidance and support and swearing at her will not help at all
I am sure with our support she will feel brave enough to go to the next level in reporting her son

Please please alert the little ones mother, are you so afraid of your son that you dare not speak to her then you must find a way be it SS or an anonymous tip off or whatever but her mother must know

Sadnana
Why does he have so much access?
Does the little girl not cry and tell the mother she doesn’t want to go to Daddy’s? At 3 she’s old enough to verbalise and show fear
How come the mother doesn’t see the bruises ?
Is the mother as bad as the father ?

emmasnan Fri 28-Aug-20 15:02:31

I know this must be an awful situation for you to be in but please keep in mind, your granddaughter cannot do anything to help herself in this situation. You are the adult, you can do something.

If your post had been written by someone else and you were reading it, would you be telling them to get help for this little girl?

Do let us know how things go.

MerylStreep Fri 28-Aug-20 14:25:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Aug-20 14:06:21

Bibbity has made a good point. There is no time for a soft approach. Social services need to know that there is an urgent child protection issue here. Better safe than sorry!

Bibbity Fri 28-Aug-20 14:00:18

Fuck that! He is going to kill her or potentially something equally as horrifying.

Go to her other grandmother. Show her what you’ve Posted her.
Call her school. Call anyone who has any duty of care for this child.

Toadinthehole Fri 28-Aug-20 12:20:47

Well done SadNanna. It doesn’t matter if you never speak to any family again, if it means you kept your granddaughter safe. Children should always be central to everything we do. I’m sure you’d rather not see her as well, if it means she is alive and well. At some point she’ll seek you out. She’ll always know that you’re the granny who saved her.?

loopyloo Fri 28-Aug-20 10:44:48

Sad Nanna. I would suggest that you keep notes of the things he says and if she appears with a bruise photograph it. Also quietly check if you can arms and legs if there are hidden patches. Start to build up evidence.
And go to AE if necessary.

Nonnie Fri 28-Aug-20 10:35:53

You have taken the first step but is it enough? I'm trying to think how the NSPCC might react to an anonymous claim? Would they simply note it and wait to hear if there are more? Presumably they are busy and have to prioritise.

Hard as it will be I think you have to go to the SS as well and explain that he is your son, then I think they will take it seriously because parents wouldn't normally report they own child. Yes, this may result in you losing contact but this is so serious you have to put your GD first you cannot let this continue.

I agree with all those who say you should speak to DiL, if she is not aware of this she needs to be. Perhaps she has reported it but not been taken seriously because they have separated? Who knows? Surely she will see that there is no need to tell him and I think will be grateful for your support.

In all this the child must come before everything else.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Aug-20 10:03:07

SadNanna29, Report asap, do not hesitate. You owe it to your granddaughter. How would you ever live with yourself if something bad happened?

silverlining48 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:56:07

Not that I am recommending this in your case because what you report is specific to certain situations where only you and your son and granddaughter were present, but you can always always request anonymity. If you havnt done so already talk to your dil, otherwise for your granddaughters protection ring and discuss with social services.
When we visited after getting similar referrals it was interesting how the parent would often say they knew who had referred (but they were always wrong).

Madgran77 Thu 27-Aug-20 19:58:37

You have been brave, I understand how frightening this is. I dont think you are putting your desires first but I do think your understandable fears of losing contact are making you so wary that you are more hesitant than you might be in other situations.

Try to be even braver and ring social services too. Did the NSPCC ask for address where child is with her father? If not there seems little they can do. Did they tell you any action other than logging. If not then that isnt going to bring urgent help to your little granddaughter.

I also think that DIL needs to know about your concerns ...presumably she is aware from when they were still together about his attitude? Can you use that as a way in? Does she know he is threatening to cut you off? Would your DIL agree with him on that?

In the end the only way out of this awful situation for your little granddaughter is for someone to get the authorities involved and to keep pushing until something is done about the danger, emotionally and physically that she is in. Can you be that someone for her sake, and for your own because this fear and worry cannot go on for you either?

I am so so sorry you are facing this. All my comments above are intended to help you consider the issues surrounding this situation and hopefully help you to decide on your next urgent steps

Please let us know, we are all behind you willing you on flowers

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 19:40:59

Yes, call the police if you get no joy from NSPCC or SS.

You obviously find difficulty in standing up to this nasty abusive bully.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 19:39:10

GillT57

Sorry, I know he is your son, but report the bastard.

Yes.
Your DIL needs to have full custody with your help.
NSPCC will take this seriously and will contact Social Services. If they do not then contact Social Services direct.

He should be prosecuted for child abuse.