Gransnet forums

Relationships

What do I do?

(77 Posts)
TwinLolly Tue 25-Aug-20 23:07:22

DH uses his mobile phone for satnav purposes, having the TomTom app on it. He has the phone attached to the dashboard near the steering wheel so it is close by.

Unfortunately he has got a habit of zooming in and out of the route to see where we are in our journeys. He delves into the programme to set our destination by the shortest route, toll-free routes, etc. All of the above when driving, mainly on long journeys.

I feel so unsafe when he does it. And I have spoken to him about it, the fact that he shouldn't be fiddling with his phone even though it is only the satnav programme, and have asked him to pull over if he wants to fiddle with the programme but I get "I'm nearly done". If I volunteer to do the fiddling, he doesn't like it because he 'knows what he is doing'. Unfortunately we are living in France and I'm not used to driving on the right hand side of the road in a British registered car. (I'll have to bite the bullet to have a go though.)

He doesn't listen to me.

I don't want to end up in an accident if he is the one that causes it! (I'm considering making sure that I word my Will to the effect that if I die because he's caused an accident - he won't get anything and it all goes to my sister.)

If he won't listen, what can I do - apart from asking him to stop the car and threatening to walk home (which is usually far...).?

Danma Thu 27-Aug-20 09:47:30

I’m just wondering how he would react if you had a conversation about it when not in the car and tell him that you’re frightened.

Is he likely to take that on board ?

Does he really understand how scared you are?

Jillybird Thu 27-Aug-20 09:54:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SueLindsey Thu 27-Aug-20 10:01:34

Hi, I was a passenger in a car recently and we were following the SatNav to get back home (a journey of about 30 mins.) However there was a major crash on the motorway which the SatNav didn't know about and it kept taking us back to the (closed) motorway entrance. Took nearly two hours to get back. A map would have been much more use!

soldiersailor Thu 27-Aug-20 10:02:22

I live in France. I am sure that if you DO live in France permanently you need to be sure you are covered for living there by your (presumably) UK insurer. If you aren't covered then you should be even more worried and get insured by a French insurer asap.

Athenia Thu 27-Aug-20 10:02:26

I have just moved back from living in France, and there it is an offense to have a mobile phone working in your car, even when the car is at standstill. It is typically one of those laws that is asking to be broken, but nevertheless, you have the law on your side.
Could you buy a real SatNav instead of using your phone?
Hope you get this sorted out, as it is clearly causing you great distress.

Scottiebear Thu 27-Aug-20 10:05:57

Could you buy him a proper Satnav?

Soniah Thu 27-Aug-20 10:06:25

In the UK it is illegal to touch your phone while the engine is on

Soniah Thu 27-Aug-20 10:07:12

Using the phone as a satnav is fine just don't touch while driving

chris8888 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:09:41

Refuse to go in the car is the only way, if your not confident driving then book yourself an advanced course or whatever is the equivalent there.
It the not listening to you, not caring about your opinion as well as it being a real danger to yourself and others. As others have said be assertive.

Aepgirl Thu 27-Aug-20 10:11:25

Don’t get in the car! Hands free means hands FREE, don’t touch. I don’t know the law in France about using a device like this, but he would certainly be breaking the law in UK.

razzmatazz Thu 27-Aug-20 10:12:16

I wonder if anyone remembers the last episode of series one of Cold Feet where the character Karen was killed in the car while putting a CD in the machine on the dash board and crashed into the back of a lorry. Chilling and I've never forgotten it.

Caro57 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:12:23

Not sure about France but he would be charged with driving ‘without undue care and attention’ here - or possibly ‘manslaughter’ if he killed someone........have that on his conscience and - probably - lose his licence

NemosMum Thu 27-Aug-20 10:14:25

I'm with the others who say don't get in the car with him unless he lets you have the mobile. You can be in charge of the zoom in/out when he asks. Potentially, a car is a lethal weapon! Would your husband be happy if you put your hands over his eyes and grabbed one hand while he was driving? I guess not! This has the same effect as what he's doing himself. Don't agree to collude in his self-delusion. By the way, French police and magistrates are not as understanding as ours!

Xrgran Thu 27-Aug-20 10:16:16

Why don’t you drive? I’d never driven in France but went from a Cornwall to Italy on my own in a white van about 10 years ago. It’s good roads were quiet in France as Switzerland and Italy were a nightmare. It doesn’t worry me at all and it’s very easy to get used to it.I drive in Italy now at least 2 times a year for a month and find the transition isn’t too daunting.
Take control you are being too anxious and letting him make all the decisions.

kwest Thu 27-Aug-20 10:17:41

Have you considered buying him an ordinary old-fashioned sat-nav? It sits on a doughnut shaped cushion on the dashboard shelf. They are set and off you go. You already decide in advance if you want the shortest, quickest or most direct route. Then he can be asked to put his mobile in your hand-bag if necessary until you reach your destination. The screens are bigger than on a phone and simpler to understand. You can quite truthfully say to him that you hate arguing with him, this solution can work for both of you and you will be able to relax. You can soften it up with " I love you and really value our lives together, so I need you to do this for me".

Anrol Thu 27-Aug-20 10:20:26

Just buy a “proper” satnav and you set it up before you go: take charge and turn the tables on him by saying something that appeals to most men’s egos: “I looked on line for us and this is the latest Satnav gadget, which I though you would appreciate, seeing as that damned phone one is clearly not fit for our purposes.”

Grannynannywanny Thu 27-Aug-20 10:20:49

Maybe it’s just my poor concentration but I find looking even momentarily at any satnav screen whether a built in car one or a phone on the dash is too high risk. If I’m looking at that I’m not looking at the road and surroundings. I don’t feel safe doing it and keep it out of sight and just listen to the audio.

kathyd Thu 27-Aug-20 10:24:47

I have CoPilot on my iPad, which is brilliant because of the large screen and I'm invariably driving alone. It's very clear and can be set up to zoom to the next exit as you get near. I don't use that though as the maps are so visible.
I'd far rather drive a rhd in France than a lhd in the UK. I'm very careful when I do that!
TwinLolly - you need to remind him of the horrendous level of road deaths in France!

Witzend Thu 27-Aug-20 10:42:13

Ditto to the map! I have to follow on a map, too, when we’re using the SatNav. Particularly useful when the SN lets you down, as ours has more than once in unknown territory.

As an aside, my dh used to have a fantastic sense of direction (mine is hopeless but I’m good at map reading) - he could visit a city very briefly, go back some years later and still find his way around.
Since he’s relied on his phone, I do notice that his ability has plummeted. Use it or lose it...

Kim19 Thu 27-Aug-20 10:42:21

At home, in a relaxed and convivial moment totally away from any recent/prospective car trips, simply say something like 'As of now I won't be travelling in the car whilst you are driving using satnav. You have simply no idea how terrified I am for both of us'. He will be either taken aback or furious. Either way, it will, in his own quiet time, make him think over what you have said. Unfortunately, the main onus is on you. You must stick to your guns and abstain. Hopefully you will be able to use public transport or a taxi and not give him a feeling you are 'suffering'. Your peace of mind (and body!) is much more important than some physical inconvenience. Good luck.

Coconut Thu 27-Aug-20 10:43:44

Film him the next time he does this ..... then next time someone dies in a road traffic accident caused by electronic usage .... show it to him and say this could be him next in a Court facing a Prison sentence.

newnanny Thu 27-Aug-20 10:46:04

Buy him a satnav so you can put in destination before you go and get it to speak out instructions to you so no need to look at it. Has he got a birthday coming up?

Rosina Thu 27-Aug-20 10:55:19

It seems your options are to allow him to carry on with this extremely dangerous behaviour or do something. You have several options there - all suggested already, but removing the device from the holder and offering to guide him with you using it, or throwing it onto the back seat seem best. Whatever happens, don't allow this to continue. One slip, one moment of inattention and lives can change forever - not just yours.

Bluesmum Thu 27-Aug-20 10:59:10

Get to grips with the driving on the right issue and only go out when you are driving. Refuse to get in the car when he wants to drive as he is the one being unreasonable and putting both your lives at risk.

leeds22 Thu 27-Aug-20 11:00:41

Sounds terrifying. I’d just take control of the phone, actually that’s how DH and I use a satnav, the driver drives and the passenger navigates. Have you tried driving in France in your U.K. car? I prefer driving my car in France than a hire car with the steering wheel on the other side.