Gransnet forums

Relationships

What do I do?

(77 Posts)
TwinLolly Tue 25-Aug-20 23:07:22

DH uses his mobile phone for satnav purposes, having the TomTom app on it. He has the phone attached to the dashboard near the steering wheel so it is close by.

Unfortunately he has got a habit of zooming in and out of the route to see where we are in our journeys. He delves into the programme to set our destination by the shortest route, toll-free routes, etc. All of the above when driving, mainly on long journeys.

I feel so unsafe when he does it. And I have spoken to him about it, the fact that he shouldn't be fiddling with his phone even though it is only the satnav programme, and have asked him to pull over if he wants to fiddle with the programme but I get "I'm nearly done". If I volunteer to do the fiddling, he doesn't like it because he 'knows what he is doing'. Unfortunately we are living in France and I'm not used to driving on the right hand side of the road in a British registered car. (I'll have to bite the bullet to have a go though.)

He doesn't listen to me.

I don't want to end up in an accident if he is the one that causes it! (I'm considering making sure that I word my Will to the effect that if I die because he's caused an accident - he won't get anything and it all goes to my sister.)

If he won't listen, what can I do - apart from asking him to stop the car and threatening to walk home (which is usually far...).?

KarenDerna Tue 01-Sep-20 10:31:51

Buy a satnav, that will solve one problem. If you are living permanently in France you need to change your driving licence from a UK to a French one, you should be legally resident, and use a French insurer, especially as the Brexit transition is looming. Maybe you need to consult your solicitor or Mayor for clarification.
www.gov.uk also has very useful information for British citizens living abroad
Good luck