Gransnet forums

Relationships

Regrets in life and dealing with mistakes you have made

(58 Posts)
greengreengrass Mon 31-Aug-20 09:25:08

Over lockdown I have seemed to be rerunning my life in dreams etc. Quite vividly coming back to me.

I suppose nearly sixty years worth of life inevitably brings with it things that I wish I had handled differently. Lots of them. But of course can't undo certain things.

My question is, how does everyone else deal with such things. Do you revisit things in your head or how does it work for you?

Grandad1943 Sat 19-Sep-20 07:59:43

We can all have regrets in regard to our past but it is often that nothing can be changed in regard to anything that has taken place.

The best practice I have always found is to learn from any mistakes you may have made and move on. I say that as a male of seventy-seven years of age and the policy still stands me well today.

You are where you are and you move forward from there.

Spangler Sat 19-Sep-20 08:05:22

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzdAsjWGPg

Fennel Sun 20-Sep-20 20:46:06

Exactly, Spangler.

Fennel Sun 20-Sep-20 20:47:06

ps we all did our best at the time.

Lesley60 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:23:10

It’s no good being miserable about past mistakes we have made as we can’t change the past, that’s all we can do is forgive ourselves, learn from them and move on.
I just wish I could take my own advice.

Cs783 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:34:21

Party4 you do have a lot to deal with. I've only just happened across your message.

I'm sure Gransnet is some help in avoiding loneliness, sharing, and coming up with some practical ideas. Virtual cups of tea and chat are better than nothing. I hope you find some breakthrough.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 21-Sep-20 10:47:37

Getting pregnant at 19 (1969) and then 'having' to get married. After 5 years it started to go wrong and finally after another 15 years I left him.

The mistake was marrying because I was pregnant. With my daughter's emotional support when I left him, I started my life again. She hasn't spoken to her father since the day I left him (26 years ago).

The frustrating thing is, I wish I could turn the clock back because the boy I gave up to then go out with my to be my husband, I have now met and married him. My 50 year old daughter thinks the world of him,