Gransnet forums

Relationships

PoA - Help!

(5 Posts)
Londonwifi Sat 05-Sep-20 23:01:22

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I was PoA for my father until he died recently. Is it my responsibility to inform the Public Guardian of his death or does his solicitor do that? I’m not sure.

Teacheranne Sun 06-Sep-20 00:38:31

As far as I know, your POA ended with his death so it would be the executors of his estate who notify the various bodies. But I wasn't aware the the Public Guardians needed notifying, after all many people register POA without ever using it so I thought they only got involved if there were problems around misuse or of there was no POA and a Deputyship was necessary.

Could be wrong though and will be interested in finding out the facts. I had to contact the OPG with a query when I was setting up my own POA and found them very helpful on the phone so why not give them a ring?

Kamiso Sun 06-Sep-20 00:51:55

www.gov.uk/lasting-power-attorney-duties/stop-attorney

Seems to say that it stops when the person dies but check the info as it’s late and I’m heading for bed.

kittylester Sun 06-Sep-20 08:20:18

I think that your PoA duties end when the person dies. 1i don't think you gave to information the Office of the Public Guardian. But, ring them and ask - they are very helpful.

LadyGracie Sun 06-Sep-20 10:04:03

I got in touch with the OPG when my father died, they were extremely helpful.