Gransnet forums

Relationships

PoA - Help!

(5 Posts)
LadyGracie Sun 06-Sep-20 10:04:03

I got in touch with the OPG when my father died, they were extremely helpful.

kittylester Sun 06-Sep-20 08:20:18

I think that your PoA duties end when the person dies. 1i don't think you gave to information the Office of the Public Guardian. But, ring them and ask - they are very helpful.

Kamiso Sun 06-Sep-20 00:51:55

www.gov.uk/lasting-power-attorney-duties/stop-attorney

Seems to say that it stops when the person dies but check the info as it’s late and I’m heading for bed.

Teacheranne Sun 06-Sep-20 00:38:31

As far as I know, your POA ended with his death so it would be the executors of his estate who notify the various bodies. But I wasn't aware the the Public Guardians needed notifying, after all many people register POA without ever using it so I thought they only got involved if there were problems around misuse or of there was no POA and a Deputyship was necessary.

Could be wrong though and will be interested in finding out the facts. I had to contact the OPG with a query when I was setting up my own POA and found them very helpful on the phone so why not give them a ring?

Londonwifi Sat 05-Sep-20 23:01:22

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I was PoA for my father until he died recently. Is it my responsibility to inform the Public Guardian of his death or does his solicitor do that? I’m not sure.