Gransnet forums

Relationships

Who Gave Birth In The Hard Winter Of ‘78/‘79?

(33 Posts)
Ashcombe Fri 15-Jan-21 17:02:23

Yesterday was my DD's 42nd birthday and mentioning it on Good Morning Friday led to comments from others who became mothers around that time.

Following unsuccessful fertility treatments and adopting DD1, I eventually delivered DD2 by emergency section, after a long labour in which all other methods had failed. Hardly surprising as I was a petite 5ft 4ins and she weighed 10lbs 1oz!! Ouch! Only much later did I learn that her father had weighed 9lbs 8oz at birth.

As was common at the time, I had 10 days in hospital which I appreciated. Towards the end of my stay, I was helping the staff deliver meals to the other mothers. However being told as I went home not to lift anything heavy for six weeks was not realistic .....!

Eloethan Sat 16-Jan-21 11:51:37

I gave birth in December 1979 and I don't remember there being bad weather. Perhaps the snow was at the beginning of the year? I was in West Sussex.

Ashcombe Sat 16-Jan-21 13:48:10

Yes, Eloethan, my DD2 was born in January, 1979, when the snow stayed for several weeks.

Lots of detail online so here’s one link:-

www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=tystat&id=845

Ailsa43 Sat 16-Jan-21 14:05:14

I had the opposite mine was born in the tropical summer of '76

GrannyLaine Sat 16-Jan-21 14:10:36

I was pregnant during the winter of 78/79 and our house had no central heating. I'm sure it was being pregnant that saved me from hypothermia. I also remember the buses being on strike and having to walk 5 miles in deep snow to get to work for 7.30 am.

hulahoop Sat 16-Jan-21 14:13:54

I had my son after spending several weeks in hospital with pre-eclampsia I was induced my oh missed the birth he had been sent home for his tea ?We stayed in hospital for 8days .

farview Sat 16-Jan-21 16:40:48

My third son was born 78..Transvaal,South Africa...I was in the little hospital and someone was sent to the golf course to get my doctor...he arrived in golf clothes, cap on, Drunk,with a large Cuban cigar in his mouth which was dropping Ash on me whilst he did an episiotomy..to say it was a nightmare is an understatement

JoyBloggs Sat 16-Jan-21 22:08:37

I was pregnant in the very cold winter of 78/79, second baby due in March. It's interesting to read that others were worried about slipping on the ice. Well, at 8 months pregnant I went flying on the ice as I crossed a busy road. DH hauled me back on to my feet, I lived to tell the tale, but not a fun experience!

That night I was in agony and it turned out I had chipped my elbow and of course I was worried about my baby. The doctor reassured me the baby would be fine and I'm pleased to say he was right. I had to wear my arm in a sling... I was able to conveniently rest it on my bump! However, the following weeks, with a lively two year-old, a huge tummy, just one working arm and unable to drive, life was quite challenging and I marvel at women who overcome much worse disabilities and have children.