Gransnet forums

Relationships

Birthday cards

(20 Posts)
eazybee Fri 19-Feb-21 14:46:13

They have sent a card wishing your husband Happy Birthday. If there is a hidden message just ignore it and thank them for the card if you are in touch.

seacliff Fri 19-Feb-21 14:31:48

I have been sending "not that great" cards during lockdown, due to shielding as much as possible. My friends and family understand, it's the thought that counts.

Perhaps in these strange times, just give them the benefit of doubt and don't make a fuss. If it WAS deliberate, the lack of reaction from you will peeve them anyway. Win win!

M0nica Fri 19-Feb-21 14:24:46

I would just ignore it completely, beyond 'Thank you for your card' if you do that sort of thing.

If it was a genuine error, least said soonest mended. If it was deliberate, there is nothing more disappointing for the sender than no reaction.

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 14:14:06

Oh definitely! There’s no defence to a smile. I worked with a very nasty lady. I began a smile offensive. She hated it ?. Made me laugh lots. Don’t feed the negative. ?

Florencerosie Fri 19-Feb-21 14:06:34

Thanks Polarbear2, great advice - I think ignoring is best policy. There’s been some underlying tension there for a while.

I read somewhere that showing no emotion when someone tries to offend you is the best way to go.

Polarbear2 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:36:50

Weelll they possibly were being sarky. Ignore it. Reacting is just feeding the bad vibes. Let them stew. Smile lots. It’s a great way to annoy people who thought they could upset you. X

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 13:21:20

True Redhead but some people are shielding, don’t shop on line and have relatives doing their shopping for them - in which case a card probably isn’t on a list.

I’m probably making excuses here ...
?

Redhead56 Fri 19-Feb-21 13:16:43

All the supermarkets sell cards and so do newsagents they are all open. You can buy cards on line so it’s not difficult to buy cards.

Ashcombe Fri 19-Feb-21 13:01:54

I've bought a range of cards from the BHF website recently. A choice of designs plus little gifts like wild flower seeds that could go inside cards. Most charities have websites offering this service.

giftshop.bhf.org.uk/cards

Galaxy Fri 19-Feb-21 12:57:21

Thortful do great cards online.

FannyCornforth Fri 19-Feb-21 12:55:26

OP, sorry, no advice - but had to stop by to say that you've got exactly the same name as my cat! ? (Beautiful name btw)

J52 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:52:26

Maybe they viewed it as cute and friendly, rather than childish.
Once I trusted DH to buy a card for a family teenager. The card he came back with had a picture of intertwined zoo animals. What he’d failed to see was that they were in the shape of the number 2. Fortunately I intercepted it.

gillgran Fri 19-Feb-21 12:39:28

I'm sure that the card was at the bottom of your sister-in-law's "card box".
You should see some of the cards I've sent these past months..!!
The card shops are closed, I'm not going in any shops that are open. (Have bought a few through Ocado, not ideal).
It's the thought that counts, the fact that they have remembered your OH on their special day.

Just smile & accept it. smile

Grandmabatty Fri 19-Feb-21 12:28:57

I agree with Greenfinch. All the card shops where I live are closed. I have two birthdays coming up to get cards for. I will have to use my local sub post office and they don't have a great choice. I don't think it's worth falling out over.

Greenfinch Fri 19-Feb-21 12:23:44

It is very difficult to get suitable cards these days with the shops being closed. I have just sent my friend of 47 years standing a most unsuitable card because she likes to receive one with "Friend" on and the only one I could find was more suitable for a teenager. I did not give it a thought that she would mind.

Calendargirl Fri 19-Feb-21 12:21:30

As Urmstongran said, maybe it was the only one to hand, they probably haven’t been shopping for cards lately, and lots of shops not open.

At least they sent one.

Not worth falling out about.

Redhead56 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:18:20

I would send them the most childish card I could find in return on their birthday.

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 12:16:16

Or just that it was the only one to hand at home and thought it’ll do. Ignore it is my advice. Why fan the flames?

Urmstongran Fri 19-Feb-21 12:14:46

Perhaps she thinks your OH is childish? Just a guess.

Florencerosie Fri 19-Feb-21 12:12:22

It is my OH birthday today and he received some lovely cards. My sil and brother sent him a very obvious child’s card with a teddy bear painting a picture. Very suitable for a 5 year old. He’s quite peeved by it said why would you do that? It’s always my SIL who sends the card so my brother probably didn’t even see it.

You may remember I had an issue with my brother being unkind a few months ago. I feel like I want to pass a comment in a witty way but can’t think of anything.