Gransnet forums

Relationships

Handyman free to good home (or any home!)

(30 Posts)
Mercure Wed 24-Feb-21 09:46:39

Grrr, not a good day today. it's 10.15 and I have yet to finish off a sentence all by myself without being talked over or cut off mid-sentence! Extremely frustrating but another normal day for me here. I get so very annoyed that I'm sure it raises my blood pressure as I get a weird fluttery feeling deep in my chest quite often! He's just stormed out the door. I calmly and pleasantly started saying, "You still have to pay that cheque into our normal bank so ..........."
"I f.......ng know that!" he shouted
I'm afraid I lost my temper at that point because the rest of my sentence was going to ask him if he would pick something up from the supermarket while he was there!

Would anyone like a hard-working man (worked in building trade for many years, good around the house and garden but not good to actually have around the house!! I confess that I truly do often wish he would find someone else! (Am I really horrible?) Despite being married for 25 years I'm still walking on eggshells around him because of his fragile ego and must not at any time query his opinion or mention that he's told me things numerous times in the past. This would cause a deep audible sigh with 'tuts', rolling eyeballs and lightly pursed lips. (Selling this house doesn't appear to be an option because there are around 6-8 unfinished projects ongoing at the same time..)

Hetty58 Thu 25-Feb-21 07:41:06

Mercure, no thank you! I simply couldn't tolerate your life. My home is my sanctuary now, quiet and peaceful, with everything convenient for me.

A completely free choice of how to spend my day, no compromises, no considering 'another' - lovely!

Is there any way to divide your house in two? If not, perhaps plan your escape?

Patsy70 Thu 25-Feb-21 19:04:47

Mercure this is not a life! You are obviously young enough to start again, without this ‘hard working man’. Why should you have to tread on egg shells after 25 years? Move on rapidly and should you need advice on how to go about it, just post on here as there are so many of us who have similar experiences. flowers

kissngate Fri 26-Feb-21 14:54:03

My OH is similar just not a handyman, DD said hes Jekyll and Hyde. All his old work colleagues (who still keep in touch) plus friends from various clubs think hes great company but when the door closes ....

cornishpatsy Fri 26-Feb-21 15:56:43

I think that once the love has gone everything they do is annoying, even the way they breathe gets on your nerves.

He probably has not changed, just your feelings towards him have.