Gransnet forums

Relationships

My Son Knows Everything

(81 Posts)
WhiteRabbit57 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:08:44

My son is twenty eight and he knows everything, literally everything. He really believes he is an expert on every single subject.

I'm intelligent, well read, I know more about current affairs than he does, for certain, but everything I say, on any subject is returned with sneers of derision. My husband watches in disbelief, but neither of us feel we can fight back for fear of ruining our relationship and losing contact with our grandchildren.

A while back I tried to talk to my son about it, but there really is no way in, he just knows better on every level - even human relationships. His wife backs him him all the time so no 'in' there.

I am really depressed, I try to tell myself that 'these things will pass' eventually, but the last time they came round he cut me off mid-sentence to tell me my contribution to the conversation was trivial. I have been so upset.

Does anyone have any advice?

ClareAB Sat 20-Mar-21 19:29:54

Why can you not debate with him like grown ups? It's perfectly possible to have different views, know different facts and discuss them. It can be fun. If people get angry, or give/take it personally then take a time out. He's only 28, it's amazing how much more aware we become of our ignorance as we get older and humbler. That doesn't mean being a door mat. Everyone can have their personal views, but facts is facts...

mercedez Sat 20-Mar-21 09:57:00

Just say “whatever” in a disinterested sort of way, that’s what kids say to grownups. He will soon work it out if you say it enough times! Of course we are not young enough to know everything are we?

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Mar-21 14:00:37

Where is WhiteRabbit?

Blossoming Mon 15-Mar-21 12:18:16

Smile indulgently and say”Bless” every time he offers an opinion.

BelindaB Mon 15-Mar-21 11:34:48

Have you tried LAUGHING at him? I would - long and loud.
What you describe is derisory and disrespectful - an overused word but applicable in this instance.

The boy is a fool and you should tell him so.

I would not tolerate this from any of my (adult) children.

Puzzled Mon 15-Mar-21 09:24:55

He's just a late developer.
Eventually, his mindset will grow out of being a teenager

Hetty58 Mon 15-Mar-21 09:11:51

WhiteRabbit57, I used to work with somebody just like your son!

I took to openly calling him 'The Oracle' - and directing anyone with questions to him - as 'He always knows the right answer to everything!' - with a chuckle, of course.

I remained friendly, and visibly amused. I was quite a bit older than him, so one day I said:

'I remember well being young, being arrogant, being confident, being certain. It was great! Of course, now I'm older, I know for certain that I'm not always right. I realise we only know what we know - so far!'

stanlaw Mon 15-Mar-21 08:59:54

I realize I'm turning this back to a very serious note but this sort of behaviour is not just rude but is a form of control.
His wife must also be subject to the constant "put-downs" which will leave her demoralized. She may well agree because she has no escape.
His role model will also impact on both the self-esteem and the behaviour of your grandchildren as they grow up.
I'm not suggesting there's any solution to this as he would not recognize your concerns however they are put, but you may want to consider turning your efforts to supporting the other family members?

Coco51 Mon 15-Mar-21 06:21:01

My ex- DIL was like that. The funniest expert announcement was that crocodiles and alligators are the same!

InnocentBystander Sun 14-Mar-21 17:57:44

This always brings a smile to my lips:

"I'm a somewhat of a bullshitter myself, but occasionally I like to listen to an expert, so please, carry on..."

DillytheGardener Sun 14-Mar-21 16:44:14

You could me describing my elder son. He was the first in our family on both sides to go to university and is very clever. It’s difficult arguing with him as he is more informed and keeps up with current events and news, but it is annoying as I anything I bring up I’m doubtless incorrect. I’m certainly glad I’m not the only one. Thankfully the younger isn’t as bright so doesn’t hold so many opinions grin

Panda25 Sun 14-Mar-21 16:04:16

Crafty granny I loved the Pam Ayers poem

sazz1 Sun 14-Mar-21 15:14:15

People who are emotionally secure don't need or want to put other people down.
He sounds like he's trying to prove himself to you for some reason.

Bamm Sun 14-Mar-21 14:26:14

I agree with other posters that this behaviour is like that of people with Asperger's. My son can be like this and I also think that people who do this really can't stand to be proven wrong, so it may say something about their confidence. It's very hard to deal with, especially when you have something to contribute and are used to being treated as an intelligent person . I refuse to engage and walk away if this behaviour starts.

Alexa Sun 14-Mar-21 14:06:47

If he objected your contribution was trivial he needed to be challenged to explain what he meant by "trivial".

In my house and family there are commonly competing sorts of conversation.

One sort is where people's feelings and general politeness are uppermost. The other sort of conversation is where people argue their points of view.

My guess is that your son is actually respectful and he wants and expects you to challenge him with reasoned arguments.

May be , and for all I can know of the argument, your argument and point of view was trivial and you could learn from your son. I may tell you I have a son who is so well informed and so reasoned in his arguments he regularly informs me sometimes so I change my mind. I respect him and his ideas very much and have learned to do so over the years.

I am also grateful he feels it worthwhile to explain complex arguments to me.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Mar-21 13:13:58

Most of us probably went through the same phase when we were young. I remember my mother accusing me of it when I was 21.

Next time he cuts you off, do tell him not to be so rude.

And when either he or his wife tell you your opinions are wrong, smile and say, "Well, we will have to agree to differ, then" .

Daisend1 Sun 14-Mar-21 13:09:39

Correction .Don't no the answer to that

Daisend1 Sun 14-Mar-21 13:08:20

Your son, in his mind believes he is right. His wife has been conditioned to accept he IS right You cannot win.
Does he have siblings?what is their opinion?
Other than distancing yourself ( won't be in) answer a question with a question.Don't know the answer to that what do you think ?'you know more than me/us.

Sparky56 Sun 14-Mar-21 12:28:12

Hi Whiterabbit57 so sorry to hear of your experience with your son. I had a similar one with my youngest when he turned 13/14 (he’s now 30) when he started treating me like I was stupid. I told him it was amazing that I’d managed to get the the ripe old age of 48 (as I was then!) without his assistance !! It shut him up for a short while.
Unfortunately he takes after my husband who knows how to solve all the worlds problems even though I’ve told him it’s probably more complicated than he thinks!!!

Laurely Sun 14-Mar-21 12:21:42

I clicked on the Pam Ayres link, started listening to it, and laughed. Mr L - who also has strong opinions on a wide range of subjects - seems to have gone off in a huff. Oh dear! hmmconfused

EllanVannin Sun 14-Mar-21 12:15:08

That Pam Ayers video was a classic. Made my day grin

daffi Sun 14-Mar-21 12:07:34

this must be contagious. very painful. I made sure my kid had a great education. He has book knowledge. But not much insight or empathy. and he wont listen to anyone without credentials

kircubbin2000 Sun 14-Mar-21 12:04:27

The trouble with my son is that he actually is an expert but of a very niche subject. Once he starts ,eyes glaze over after about 10 minutes and I try to change the subject without hurting his feelings. However, my other daughter in law has a slight interest in his subject but disagrees strongly with his opinion.I think this is partly behind a family fallout. She now ignores him .

Katie59 Sun 14-Mar-21 11:56:31

As long as he gets on with his OH I wouldn’t worry too much, unless his views are “extreme”, if you are fed up debating the topic change the subject.
Of course if he is such a smart arse he can help you with all sorts of things, maybe he is clever, let him prove it.

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Mar-21 11:36:19

If this is new, it may be short term - perhaps he's having a rough time at work.

I don't understand your fears regarding the grandchildren though.
Why might saying you are wrong about things lead to not having contact with them?

There is surely something else going on?