Gransnet forums

Relationships

Different pace in retirement

(91 Posts)
Rubicon12 Sun 11-Apr-21 17:53:57

Hi, I'm a 64 yo male, retired with a 61 yo partner who works very part time. The issue I have is that I have always kept myself fit and still have the energy to be active in retirement. I like being out and about and, post Covid, want to travel a lot. The problem is, whereas my partner used to be equally active, she now seem perfectly happy pottering around at home. This is fine as it's her choice but I do feel very frustrated that she doesn't want to make the most of these years and I get frustrated thinking that I could ( already have ) spend a lot of my later years on solitary pursuits. She is fine with this and last year was happy for me to go to South America for 10 weeks. I loved it and its given me a taste for further similar travels but its not really of interest to her. I saw a lot of couples travelling together and felt envious.
It has got me wondering whether we are just growing apart and I do often wonder whether I would be happier in my later years with someone who is closer to me in how they want to spend their time.
Am I right to have concerns or am I just being selfish?

optimist Mon 12-Apr-21 11:48:16

My husband and I were married for 50 years and had very different interests and very different attitudes to money. He liked to spend his money on travel, I did not. So we each earned our money and spent it as we wished, quite amicably and whilst bringing up 3 children. After he died I had an established social life and enough savings to live comfortably. The situation might have been very different if all my money had gone on travel and during the marriage our separate interests made for an interesting relationship. Try it!

4allweknow Mon 12-Apr-21 11:46:03

You need to find other ways to use up your energy and need for interests. Why concentrate on travel? You say your partner accepts this but you feel you should travel together. Would a short break say to somewhere in Europe be interesting to your partner rather than long adventures
I used to go off on my own on trips. DH accepted I did but he didn't want to. Now I just cannot be bothered with having to put up with what is recognised as the human race at airports and on planes and just travel within the UK. You need to think deeply about your relationship in that you find your approach to life so different. Discuss the situation, you may find something very simple is at the root of your partner's reluctance to travel and live life on the edge.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 12-Apr-21 11:42:22

I second the advice to have a serious talk with your partner about how you both view retirement and what you want to do once you both have retired.

It sounds to me as if her lack of interest in travelling could be due to many different things. Here are some suggestions:

She has a completely different view of holidays to you.
You and she have argued formerly about this and she has got to the point where it is easier to stay at home than to find the kind of holiday that suits you both.

She dislikes air travel or whatever you usually use.

She really does prefer staying at home, perhaps because she is an avid gardener, or you have pets that she dislikes leaving( putting into bording-kennels).

Another possiblity is that right now, working part time is becoming too much for her and that she is just longing for the day where full retirement will dawn. And that when she is off work she is basically too tired to want to go anywhere.

Yet another possibility is that she dreads retirement, seeing it as formless, boring and more or less a waiting-room for death.

She could also be worried about expenditure and feel that you, as a couple, do not have enough money for travelling.

If none of this rings any bells, you definitely do need to ask her what views she has for retirement.

Be honest about your own views, but start by asking her hers, and try really to listen to what she says without interupting her, unless there is something you really do not understand.

I find too often that my DH jumps to conclusions whilst I am explaining things and hares off down a wrong track. I then have to stop him and say, "That was not what I meant or was going to say." then explain what I was working up to.

I hope you can have a constructive discussion with her about your future.

If she says there is nothing to discuss, then perhaps you should consider making changes.

Please bear in mind that ending a relationship is hard, emotionally and financially - some form of counselling might be a good first step.

Jillybird Mon 12-Apr-21 11:37:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milliedog Mon 12-Apr-21 11:25:42

Mmmm. Might be worth printing out a copy of your marriage vows!
Like many posters, my husband and I have completely different interests. Put me in a sparkly dress on the stage doing a Shirley Bassey impression (how I'm missing my amateur dramatic group) and I'm in heaven. He'd die rather than draw attention to himself. Put me in front of 100 children to tell stories in a local school assembly? Yep. That's me, too. Bridge / chess / stamp collecting/ anything intellectual ? That's my lovely husband! And he's a traveller, too, whereas I love growing vegetables. Before this pandemic, I was more than happy for him to go away for 3 weeks at a time for his Italian courses. We work around our differences because we love each other and because our vows in front of God and our wedding guests were and are meaningful. It's easy to look over the fence and see that the grass is greener there - but it's greener because it's sprayed with dung! Go travelling on your own or with a (male) friend. Come back with lots to tell your wife - and hope that she doesn't take her marriage vows as lightly as you do!

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 12-Apr-21 11:25:33

Rubicon12

Hi all, thanks very much for your comments. Perhaps my initial post focused a little too much on the travel aspect which I feel we can find a way to handle. My issue was more about differences in how to live in retirement as I am restless by nature and want to always be busy, my partner is more laid back and can while away the day doing very little. I have I suppose an attitude of making the most of every day and sometimes struggle with the fact that my partner doesn't share this view. I wondered if any of you on the forum have a similar experience and how best to work around differences like this. Many Thanks

I am the restless, active one whilst DH is quite happy pottering around the house. We never have never been 'joined at the hip' couple. We follow our different interests as well as doing things together. Long holidays are a thing of the past and not just because of Covid. I have accepted that home is his safe place. I did one long haul on my own, but it wasn't the same without him to share it with. I am just back from my first swim since November and feeling tired but much better for having been out and active, other than walking! I've hated the inactivity of lockdown 3 but lockdown made no difference to him, apart from not mixing with our family and friends. In summary, we do things together and we do things apart. Works for us. I hope you can find your own balance. Good luck.

Awesomegranny Mon 12-Apr-21 11:25:02

Sounds like your wife is intent on growing old before her time which is a shame especially as travelling is something you still want to do. Hopefully she will give you her blessing to go and have your adventures. Sad though it’s an important part of your life and sharing experiences with your partner is the icing on the cake.
I have travelled a lot on my own in the past, though recent years I’ve travelled with my now ex partner. I have been investigating what is available for those wishing to travel alone but be part of a group, and there is a lot of choice out there especially for the most adventurous who want to go long haul say to Asia, S America, Africa. Wherever I’ve been along I’ve always found people friendly and had amazing experiences.
Only the two of you can decide whether to go your separate ways, which sounds sad if you’ve been together a long time. Hopefully you can find happy comprises short breaks together in the U.K. and when travel permits you can go off for further adventures. Enjoy your travels , we all need armchair memories though we all have different expectations to fulfill in life.

Pollyj Mon 12-Apr-21 11:20:34

My husband loves to travel to far flung places and I don’t. I’m happy to explore Britain and we’ve been to Iceland and Norway. He goes once a year on his travels but I don’t want to go long distance like he does. We have no desire to change things. He respects my feelings and I his. Many people would complain about him going way for long periods, or the cost etc. He might complain about my solitary pursuits. We don’t. We give and take. No desire to break things up or force the other to compromise. It’s different if you feel the entire relationship is over regardless, but otherwise unfair, in my view.

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Apr-21 11:18:16

ExD you have put this better than I did.

Stop. Be yourself, be honest with yourself and her.

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Apr-21 11:15:56

I would have struggled to accept it if my husband had wanted 10 weeks away. I'd have immediately questioned my relationship! Are you just getting away maybe?

You say I have I suppose an attitude of making the most of every day and sometimes struggle with the fact that my partner doesn't share this view.
You say she "doesn't share this view", - are you sure she doesn't also want to enjoy every day?
For some, reading, gardening, having a friendly ahat IS making the most of every day... It does sound a bit judgemental to be honest. She may see your being "obviously" busy and "out and about" is pointless and empty. I think you need to talk about your relationship as you seem (to me) to be ready to pack things in. Maybe you just don't love her enough anymore.
Good luck.

ExD Mon 12-Apr-21 11:11:15

It's me who's the traveller. For the last 20 years I've travelled alone. No problem.
He also enjoys showing dogs - before CV I stayed at home, he went to dog shows. No problem there either.
We do lots of things solo, we've been married 61 years so I don't think our marriage is going to fall apart over it. Is this what's worrying you - are you feeling stale and looking for a reason?
Stop. Be yourself, be honest with yourself and her.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 12-Apr-21 11:08:45

I can empathise, and I guess we are all aware and want to use this small window of time in our 60’s - when we hopefully have the energy still to travel, before age and diminishing fitness preclude doing some things. I am very much aware of being in a small window of time here.

Your wife is below state pension age, does that affect her thoughts and plans? It has been harsh having a full 6 years added to our working lives.

Could you have a meeting (over a nice pub lunch?) to plan out how you each see your retirement, your futures going forwards, to see exactly how your wife sees her own wishes, plans, desires panning out for the next 5 years?

Has she worked hard raising a family for example, and is now relishing time for herself, relaxing, with fewer commitments?

In answer to your question of travel, for example in some informal friendship groups I meet couples abroad where the lady is happy to spend her days resting, reading and relaxing poolside, where her husband joins us, an informal group of walkers, he spends his days with us - and both are very happy with their arrangement, they each get what they need.

Also, for example, winter sun in the Canaries, have found it very easy as a single traveller in a hotel to meet up casually and informally with lots of other similar-aged people who enjoy walking, the company of others and exploring. I think by going on one solo holiday, you can easily meet others and then it opens further travel and friendship options going forwards.

I would also say, with hindsight, if there is an activity that you love doing, I would urge you not to give up on that, even if you have to continue it alone. My own experience is that it can lead to regret or resentment later on. I loved a particular sport, but abandoned it for 20 years because I felt precluded from going alone. I restarted in my 60’s, I regret the missing years.

Kryptonite Mon 12-Apr-21 11:08:06

I am like your wife and love to potter at home because I spend so much time out of it at work and get quite homesick. We're not retired yet, but I have tried in the past to persuade my husband to go travelling on his own when there was the opportunity, but he won't even though he would love it. He thinks we should go together. I totally disagree. We are not joined at the hip, and I see nothing wrong with enjoying different things separately, even holidays. For one thing, it's cheaper than going as a couple and you may want to go somewhere the other isn't interested in. I love spending hours in art galleries and museums or going on massive walks. He likes to do as little as possible if on holiday. This is NOT a good reason to end your marriage and the fact that you can travel where you want to and she is fine with this surely shows you have a strong, trusting foundation to your relationship. If you are restless, pursue your interests, I'm sure with her blessing. Yes, I do think you're being a tad selfish, but at least you're thinking about it seriously. Have a conversation and find things you like to do together. My needs are very simple and sometimes I will get engrossed in things that do not involve my husband, but we still have our common ground, usually in the home/garden or trips in this country. Perhaps your wife is a nervous flyer or worried about leaving the home unattended. Yes, do have a nice chat about this. Once again, there's nothing wrong with solo travelling.

Aepgirl Mon 12-Apr-21 11:02:56

You're both 'youngsters'. The early 60's is no age to be just 'pottering about'. There's a big wide world out there to see. Taking it easy can wait at least another 10 years.

Theoddbird Mon 12-Apr-21 11:02:56

Why are you asking on here? Surely you should be sitting down talking to your other half about the way ahead not asking complete strangers who really can't advise as they know nothing of the ins and outs of your relationship....

dizzygran Mon 12-Apr-21 11:02:23

you are both still fairly young. 61 is too young to be relegated to pottering. Life is not just about holidays and travel. Do you like walking together - maybe visiting places now that we can get out more. try a few weekends away and build up to longer holidays - not many want 10 week breaks. You might then want to think about your long term relationship - but try working on it first. Good luck

luluaugust Mon 12-Apr-21 11:00:41

10 weeks pottering happily pottering around on her own, interesting. You need a chat.

Newatthis Mon 12-Apr-21 10:59:28

What about going on 'group' holidays where you can share your travelling interests and see other parts of the world.

Annaram1 Mon 12-Apr-21 10:54:27

My happiest holidays are ones I have spent alone in far flung parts of the world such as Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands, Holland, and Vietnam. Unfortunately my husband passed away before this time but I know he would not have enjoyed any of these holidays. He loved cruising. We are all different. Enjoy your solo holidays. Go with a company which organises everything so you have no worries.

jaylucy Mon 12-Apr-21 10:52:16

She still works, so she has commitments outside the home that she probably enjoys doing. At the moment, this is enough for her.
I also think that the lockdowns have made some people realise how much there can be enjoyed at home while you feel that you are twiddling your thumbs and looking outside your immediate walls.
You basically need to sit down and talk and work out when your OH retires, would she want to travel then?
Maybe the thought of travelling long distances, involving long flights, strange food etc worries her. Would she be happy doing shorter trips that doesn't include flying ? There is plenty in this country to see and you may be able to compromise that you go off on your long journeys and then you both go closer to home together.
Have you just assumed that, because she allowed you to go to South America on your own, that she isn't interested in travel at all ? Or maybe at the moment with the fact that the situation with Covid is not over yet worldwide and just feels safer at home.

Witzend Mon 12-Apr-21 10:49:15

I don’t see anything wrong with one of you holidaying alone. I’ve never really understood couples who live in each other’s pockets. My parents did absolutely everything together, which sounds lovely, but it left my mother feeling even more exceptionally bereft when my father died - she wasn’t used to doing anything much on her own.

My dh has been away several times on his own - notably twice to see fairly distant cousins in Canada - who frankly I had no interest in, and he was going to stay with them - a complete no-no for me since however kind and hospitable they may be, I just don’t feel comfortable staying with anyone unless I know them very well.

Among other things, he’s also been on his own to visit WW1 battlefields in France, which I really thought I’d find too sad, though I’ve visited one with him when we were en route to somewhere else.

We still get on extremely well, and pre COVID did also go away together, to destinations we both enjoyed.

Moggycuddler Mon 12-Apr-21 10:46:32

I actually think your partner is being very unselfish and understanding to agree to your going alone to South America for so long. Not many would! My husband and I are lucky in that both of us are much less interested in holidays than we once were, and quite content for the past few years to just have day trips and theatre outings. These days we both prefer to potter at home really. If you are otherwise happy, you will have to accept the situation and either holiday alone or find a companion to travel with.

Applegran Mon 12-Apr-21 10:46:01

Its good that you are being able to step back and reflect on your relationship. I think there is no substitute for talking about what you feel with your partner - I mean a really good conversation where you both listen deeply to understand, not just waiting to say what you think. Listening is one of the greatest gifts you can give or recieve in a relationship and this could be an important moment in both of your lives. I wish you well - and your partner too.

JaneJudge Mon 12-Apr-21 10:46:01

I know this sounds simplistic but there are two things you need to do
1. you need to find companions to do your exercise with, join a club or invite a friend?
2. You need to find a joint interest together so you do spend enjoyable time doing something you both like. It is up to you both to work out what that is smile would she go to salsa classes or something?

crazygranny Mon 12-Apr-21 10:44:56

If you loved the time when you were travelling alone then why not carry on doing that. It seems a bit crazy to throw over what sounds like a good working relationship on the grounds that you might find someone who likes doing what you like doing. We never know what's in store. What if, for health reasons, you find yourself unable to travel. Would the newfound 'perfect companion' be right in dumping you?