Gransnet forums

Relationships

Red flag/Dealbreaker

(156 Posts)
ILE35 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:05:07

After being on my own for about 7 years I briefly went on a couple dating sites. I got talking to one guy in particular who seems chatty and friendly and interested in similar things to myself.

He’s phoned and video chatted regularly and seems lovely so we arranged to go a walk which went well, followed by a further walking date yesterday. We were together for about 5 hours just walking and chatting.

As we headed back to our cars he out of the blue asked me how I was for money to which I replied that I was ok. He then proceeded to ask me if I could loan him £20 for petrol as he’s struggling at the minute and wasn’t sure if he’d get home! I was so taken aback but to avoid awkwardness I gave him it.

He’s been furloughed on full pay for a year and claims to always be busy doing diy jobs so I’d have thought should have enough money to see himself through the month.

When I got home there were messages thanking me and saying I’ll get it back on Monday and how much he enjoyed our day and couldn’t wait to see me again.

I’ve slept on it and feel any attraction towards this guy is dwindling fast. Would others feel the same or agree to meet again and give him a chance?

I kinda feel like saying keep the £20 and calling it a day ?

ILE35 Mon 26-Apr-21 20:21:34

Smurf44 Yes this is something I will look into doing. Thanks again.

Smurf44 Fri 23-Apr-21 12:16:33

Is there any way you can leave a message on the dating site about his behaviour, or maybe actually contact the site to get him removed?

It might even be worth contacting the local police, not necessarily to retrieve your money, but they may be glad of any helpful info if they have had similar reports about this man. I would definitely contact them before this man defrauds some vulnerable lady into losing her life savings. ??

lemsip Thu 22-Apr-21 14:02:22

in the news today;

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9495977/Woman-discovers-love-life-scammer-based-Nigeria.html

welbeck Wed 21-Apr-21 17:45:36

you my have been on his possible longer term projects list.
he was sounding you out, to see if he could insinuate himself into your life and detach you from more and more of your funds.
well done for side-stepping.

Eloethan Wed 21-Apr-21 17:36:41

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread. I see that you discovered he was definitely not genuine as he asked you for more money. At least he was stupid enough to make such requests at an early stage so you could nip the whole thing in the bud. What a shame - so disappointing to experience such crafty behaviour, particularly when a person seems nice.

Eloethan Wed 21-Apr-21 17:33:01

I may be wrong but I suspect he was testing you to see if you were easy going with money. I think I would be very wary.

MagicWand Mon 19-Apr-21 18:29:49

Gut instinct to the fore ILE35!

So glad it's a good clear cut result that you can put down to experience and move on from without ever having to look back and wonder. I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say I've learnt a lot from it too! Thank you for sharing and for coming back to keep us updated.

EmilyHarburn Mon 19-Apr-21 10:01:03

This is a red flag for a con man. Ditch him now. Block his number. Thank goodness you found out so early.

Jaffacake2 Mon 19-Apr-21 07:55:38

Many years ago I had a dinner date with a man I met online dating site. He seemed normal and pleasant chatting on the phone but in the restaurant he was bombastic and boring. When the waiter asked us if we would like a dessert he answered " she doesn't do sweets ! " Yes she does but didn't order one as was eager to get away from him.
When the bill came he said as he had paid petrol to drive to my town I should pay the bill !
I did pay as it seemed a small price to escape from him !

ILE35 Mon 19-Apr-21 07:29:30

Calendargirl Exactly! It’s almost an insult he’d think I’d be interested in that. I’m not materialistic or money focussed but I’m also not desperate and do not need that! So unattractive!

ILE35 Mon 19-Apr-21 07:26:26

MaggieTulliver That’s the scary thing. I met up with him only after talking to him quite a lot via FaceTime and WhatsApp messages for 2/3 weeks first and he seemed completely normal, nice and chatty. When we walked I felt safe and comfy and has really enjoyed it so it really took me aback. Even when he asked how I was for money it never entered my head he was about to ask for some. He was clearly just trying to gain my trust.

The site was Pof which I know isn’t that highly rated but I had previously joined Match and paid a subscription thinking it would wheedle certain kinds out. Totally wrong! I still got messages from all sorts asking for no more than discreet NSA! No ta! That was the only reason I dabbled on this one but I’ve taken both profiles off now. I’m 46 so hopefully some time yet. It won’t put me off but I’m not in a major hurry just now. As others have suggested places like walking groups etc may be a better idea for meeting like minded folk more naturally. Good luck!

Calendargirl Mon 19-Apr-21 07:11:30

At the risk of coming across as a ‘gold digger’, if he were at all ‘genuine’, which obviously he isn’t, who on earth would be interested in someone with so little money that he couldn’t feed himself and his dog?

MaggieTulliver Mon 19-Apr-21 06:48:51

What’s interesting is that you actually met him OP. Most of these fraudsters never actually meet their “prey”. Anyway, so glad it didn’t go any further and hope it hasn’t put you off trying to meet someone. I’m thinking about doing online dating again and wondering which is the best site. May I ask which one/s you’re on and how old you are (I’m 63). All the best.

Classic Mon 19-Apr-21 04:22:28

He was testing to see how responsive you are to becoming one of his 'victims' I bet he is dating many other women and sponging off them too. It could be a game for him to see how far he can push women, or it could be supporting a gambling or alcohol addiction. Report him to the dating site, he's looking to defraud women not looking for love,

ILE35 Mon 19-Apr-21 00:06:31

JenniferEccles The dog definitely existed as he brought it on the couple walks we went. Def didn’t look like it ever starved tho lol!

I’ve 100% dodged a bullet and he has been politely told where to go before I blocked him on everything.

It’s just crazy how fake some people can be. Certain people should seriously come with a warning stamped on them and I just hope whoever else he’s trying it on with see through him too. Clearly has no pride or dignity.

JenniferEccles Sun 18-Apr-21 23:40:48

What a lucky escape you have had.
He sounds practiced in this type of deception by trying to garner sympathy with the thought of his unfed dog (which may or may not exist)

pearl79 Sun 18-Apr-21 22:40:49

not one tiny bit surprised ile, but very sympathetic. also very pleased you protected yourself by keeping personal details to yourself.
if you feel up to it, and if it's a landline number you have, might be worth giving it to the police. but guessing you also feel quite violated, so may not feel up to dealing with police.
anyway, i'm glad you're safe and well

JustMe Sun 18-Apr-21 18:09:33

Oh that's awful !

Thank goodness you kept personal details from him.
What a chancer he was.

ILE35 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:29:02

So just a wee update...

I hadn’t gotten round to letting this guy know I was cancelling tomorrow’s meet up however in the last half hour he has sent me a text asking if I could lend him another £30 until the end of the month as him and his dog have not eaten since Friday morning and he apparently can’t get a hold of any friends or relatives! He has been told a def no and promptly blocked and deleted.

I can’t believe I spent 5/6 hours on Friday with this guy and feeling like I’d had such a lovely time.

Thankfully I was very careful with details I gave him and where we went but I am feeling slightly shocked to say the least.

Thankyou to everyone for responding to my post and hope it’s a good warning to anyone else who ever faces anything similar x

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 16:32:33

Test

pinkjj27 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:50:09

wheather or not, darn spell check

pinkjj27 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:46:37

I lost my job in covid (got another one now) I was struggling but wouldn’t have asked a soul for money and certainly not a Stanger. If he had no money, he should have said I can’t meet you this week if you can’t afford it don’t go.
Whether or not he is only in it for the money I find this alarming as he didn’t respect boundaries of a first date and he took advantage by putting you on the spot after asking you a very person question.
We are being made aware of romantic fraudsters and weather this guy is one or not I would personally run a mile.
Not to mention being furloughed still gives you access to 80% of your wages!!

MaggieTulliver Sun 18-Apr-21 11:48:19

I’ve done a lot of online dating and this behaviour would have alarm bells ringing and red flags a-waving. Sorry haven’t read whole thread but if you haven’t already done so, end it immediately and consider yourself fortunate not to have wasted another second on such a waste of space. Do carry on with the online dating though, you might have to kiss a lot of frogs!

Sparky56 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:23:38

It’s a tricky one! It does sound like he’s softened you up with pleasant phone calls and video chats to build a relationship. His request for a small loan on first meeting sounds like a test to me but very suspicious for many reasons already discussed here. Think you should steer clear before the big sob story! Maybe Google himconfused

Kugala Sun 18-Apr-21 10:03:54

Never date a man who asks to borrow money. When I was much younger, I learned a similar £30 lesson!

Block, delete and move on.