Gransnet forums

Relationships

Camilla for Queen?

(113 Posts)
mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 14-May-21 11:37:51

How do people feel now about Camilla becoming Queen? There have been huge changes in the Royal Family and the Queen is a very old lady now. Never personally been a fan of Camilla probably due to the fact there were 3 in my marriage as well and felt sympathy for Diana. But there is no denying the fact that Camilla and Charles are ideally suited and love one another. I think Charles and Diana would never have worked Camilla or not now with hindsight. Views?

Lucca Wed 23-Jun-21 22:34:21

Alima

I would be fine with Camilla becoming Queen when Charles takes the throne. They appear ideally suited and as mentioned by sodapop , Sarnia and timetogo2016 it is a shame they did not marry when they were younger. Have found myself thinking today, after yet more “stuff” from PH being aired for all and sundry to hear, if Camilla had given birth to PC’s sons the younger one especially would be far less woke with all that entails. But hey, who am I to have an opinion.

So I assume you are using “woke” as an insult?

Anniebach Wed 23-Jun-21 22:26:09

This ‘had to marry a virgin’ sounds like she was a human sacrifice, he was dating a girl for sometime then a former lover
sold the story to the press.

Camilla has dignity, has never given an interview about her private life and it’s not true she married Parker Bowles because
she couldn’t marry Charles, she loved Parker Bowles.

Gwyneth Wed 23-Jun-21 22:01:43

I think Camilla should be Queen. Have grown to like and respect her over the years.

NanKate Wed 23-Jun-21 21:43:51

I like Camilla. She and Prince Charles are often seen laughing together.

He should never have married Diana, but they wanted him to marry a virgin. Their marriage didn’t stand a chance.

Talullah Wed 23-Jun-21 21:36:52

I don't think there's ever been any possibility that she would be Queen.

Revolucion Wed 23-Jun-21 21:34:43

I don’t want Charles to be King and I certainly don’t want Camilla to be Princess Consort. I no longer wish for the UK to have a Royal Family.

I don’t want my country to be represented by Charles or Camilla.
Or Boris Johnson for that matter.
Surely we can do better than this.

Sparkling Wed 26-May-21 06:05:18

Definitely not Queen, might as well give up on the monarchy. It's bad enough Andrew bring Prince.

maddyone Tue 25-May-21 11:39:55

I’m happy for Camilla to be Queen Consort. No problem with it at all.

Kestrel Tue 25-May-21 11:33:29

It's not a democratic vote tho - it's a hereditary monarchy which sets its own rules and adjusts them if/when the peasants protest enough. Camilla, (current) Princess of Wales, is married to the Prince of Wales and will one day be queen when he finally becomes king. Charles will be king unless he abdicates in favour of his son, William, and I can't see that happening. I'd be happy to end the whole charade when the current queen dies.

rafichagran Sat 15-May-21 14:48:36

Totally agree Sara she is with the man she loves.

Sara1954 Sat 15-May-21 14:26:57

I think she should be Queen, she seems to be a likeable, sensible woman, who throughout everything that’s happened has shown great dignity.
Let’s leave the past in the past and move on, whatever has happened before can’t be changed now.
Having said that, I doubt Camilla will worry one way or another, finally she’s with the man she loves, that’s probably all she wants.

3nanny6 Sat 15-May-21 14:18:07

That is always the case, don't talk about peoples past lets just move forward. The past and peoples actions can form our
opinions of them for a long time and some of us can have different memory spans and it still comes into my mind that Charles and Camilla had their chance to get together when they were younger but they waited until they had both experienced marriage with other people and at the same time having an illicit relationship.

I would rather see Prince William become King bypassing Charles altogether to me that would be a good way forward.

Mollygo Sat 15-May-21 14:07:32

rafichagran and others in favour, I agree with you. I don’t know much about Camilla, but we do need to move forward. If Charles is King, she’ll be fine as Queen.
However, it gives us something to do.
We owe a huge invisible debt to the RF. Just think of all the research that’s gone into this and other RF threads. All the reading, agreeing, disagreeing and posting pros and cons has a benefit as we get older.
Keeping your brain active supposedly helps to ward off dementia, though reading/posting some posts on GN are likely to raise your blood pressure.

rafichagran Sat 15-May-21 11:29:46

Agree she should become Queen, why do people keep dragging up the past?
I really like her, to me she seems genuine, she goes about her work not seeking grace or favour, or adulation.
I am tired about people talking about affairs, it's in the past, we need to move forward.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 15-May-21 10:49:49

She is legally married to Prince Charles, so when he becomes king, she should become queen. It will cause endless confusion amongst foreign newspapers and perhaps even diplomats if she is given a "lesser" title.

To me it sounds deprecating to call her Princess consort. In the days of German monarchies and of course the Austrian Empire there were morganatic marriages where the wife had a lower rank than her husband and their children no rights to the throne. The British never used that system, so why start now?

Anniebach Sat 15-May-21 10:02:02

I too hope she will , never any reporting on the work she does, just the past raked up, she doesn’t seek cameras or give interviews about herself.

henetha Sat 15-May-21 09:44:50

I m hoping that Camilla will be Queen when Prince Charles becomes King. I think they will both be fine as monarchs.

CafeAuLait Sat 15-May-21 08:28:51

I think the monarchy will be around for a good while yet. I also think Camilla will be great in whatever title she has when Charles is king.

Visgir1 Sat 15-May-21 08:27:19

I was under the impression, she was always going to be the King's Consort?

absent Sat 15-May-21 06:46:09

It doesn't matter who had an affair. It doesn't matter who did it first. What does matter is whether a king is necessary in our countries and in our lives. The consort has no power, apart from the personal, so matters little.

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 06:41:33

Monarchy descends by birth order, the character of the heir/heiress doesn't come into it. George IV, Edwards V11, just to name 2 monarchs in the last 2 centuries have their place in history for the louche and licentious lives they led. Edward V111 was Nazi sympathiser, and generally unpleasant character behind a smooth exterior. As sinning monarchs go, Charles is very small beer.

stella1949 Sat 15-May-21 06:09:37

Silly to say that Camilla shouldn't be Queen because she had an affair. If that was the case, there would have been very few Kings or Queens in the entire history of the monarchy.

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-May-21 23:56:38

What’s Prince William done to make him unfit?

GagaJo Fri 14-May-21 23:27:17

Definitely not. And Charles isn't fit to be king either. I used to thing William would be OK but these days...

rubysong Fri 14-May-21 23:16:51

Yes, Camilla should be Queen when the time comes. Throughout history the wife of a King has been Queen.