Gransnet forums

Relationships

My sister has blocked me

(32 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 19-Jun-21 12:52:25

I d leave it, at least for now, you don’t have to fall out just leave it to be more casual and when you do say anything keep it totally neutral If she goes up a notch just say you know we ll never agree on that let’s not talk about it, then talk about the weather, shopping, a tv programme anything that you feel won’t rock the boat
You are at opposite ends of the spectrum and won’t ever meet in the middle so don’t keep trying just keep in very very bland

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:49:53

Agreed. Writing now could make things worst. Give it time.

tiredoldwoman Sat 19-Jun-21 12:48:35

Leave it for just now , sisters squabbble all the time no matter what age. Past hurts , childhood quarrels etc all affect later life - books have been written about it , I'm sure ! smile
A wee break is what you both need , something out of the blue will bring you together again .

Peasblossom Sat 19-Jun-21 12:42:23

I can’t think what you would actually say in a letter.

Hithere Sat 19-Jun-21 12:41:46

"My sister and I have never got on particularly well."

That's your answer. Some people are never meant to be friends due to personality incompatibility, different hobbies, dont mesh well together, etc.

What positive things she brings to your life?
Would you be friends with her if she wasnt your sister?

Peasblossom Sat 19-Jun-21 12:41:41

Unless you can both stay off the political comments and talk about gardens, grandchildren and shopping, you’re probably down to sending cards and funerals ?

Bankhurst Sat 19-Jun-21 12:32:41

My sister and I have never got on particularly well. She is a wealthy Tory supporter, while I am less wealthy, to say the least, and on the left. For many years I have ignored deliberate jibes about the left, and also comments which she doesn’t see as political with which I cannot agree eg Black Lives Matter is a waste of time and their demonstrations just spread COVID. This led to a statements which I found frankly racist, but I didn’t engage with them. I try not to say anything vaguely political at all, but I don’t think she realises that how many statements she makes are arguable. In discussions re the government’s handling of COVID she tended to cut off the conversation with ‘I don’t know anything about that’. She also said of a friends 16 year old severely disabled son whose mother was told his lungs were too compromised to be able to withstand the virus ‘We’ve all got to die some time.’
Now she has blocked me after she got angry when I made a detrimental comment about Prince Philip immediately after his death.
Should I try to do something about this (a letter?) or accept that my, admittedly awkward, relationship with my sister is over?