Gransnet forums

Relationships

HELP! Online dating advice required

(32 Posts)
MaxieF Sat 26-Jun-21 18:35:09

Hello

I am looking for online dating advice if you may.

I met a man from Plenty of fish 1 month ago and have been on 5 dates with him.

I was away with some girlfriends at a cottage last week and texted him one evening and asked "how do you think this is going"...

He said it is still early days but thinks we get along, I am good company, we both have a laugh and that he thinks I look good. He then asked what I thought and I said pretty much the same thing.

He was really keen to meet up straight away when I was back home so we did the day after I got home (this was date 4 - no, we did not sleep together).

I've known from date 1, that he has accepted quite a senior job at an organistion in Wales and he plans to work there Mon - Fri and return home at weekends. This week he had to go down for a few days and move into his new place and meet his new team. He offically starts on Tuesday so is moving down there tomorrow night.

After date 4, the communication went a little bit quiet, we normally text all day, everyday. I called him out on this and said if he didnt want to talk anymore, all he had to do was say... he then replied saying he has been busy going to the Drs (re health concern I know about), has been tierd from his 2nd covid vaccine and moving all his stuff to Wales.

So we have been texting a little and last night I decided to phone him. He asked what my weekend plans were and then said he isnt available this weekend to do anything due to the move but asked if I wanted to meet for breakfast when I mentioned I was meeting my friend this afternoon.

We met for breakfast and afterwards he gave me a tiny peck which was a bit strange but perhaps he didnt want his neighbours seeing as I was parked outside his house.

He is still active on plenty of fish but so am I.

Also, to be clear, I always wait for him to initiate conversation and to make plans...

So what do you think? Is he still interested?

Has he just genuinely been very busy with moving/health/vaccine? to be clear, I saw him on Sunday and then this morning (Saturday)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

M

Knittingnovice Sun 08-Aug-21 13:58:03

How is the dating going? You haven't posted since June so I hope you're Ok

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Aug-21 20:40:23

I think he’s got a lot on his plate at the moment, it doesn’t mean that he’s not interested but if it was me I’d be giving him a bit of breathing space I think you are being a bit full on relax op don’t overthink

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Aug-21 20:35:44

My friend met a man on POf thought he was the love of her life for 5 years but sadly just after that he just walked out, they got married after two years, you win some you lose some she said

Skydancer Sat 07-Aug-21 20:30:52

I would like to add that generally men can only think about one thing at a time. An old cliche I know but I find it to be true. You'll probably come into his head when he's dealt with everything else.

virginia1952 Sat 07-Aug-21 20:25:17

Hi, can anyone recommend any genuine dating sites, seems very complicated to find a recommended one. Thank you

Polarbear2 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:45:14

Relax. Chill. You’re being too intense. If he’s interested he’ll be back once his busyness is done. If he isn’t at least you haven’t embarrassed yourself. Best film I ever watched re this stuff is “he’s just not that into you”. Lightbulb moment for me. I was a chaser. Not now. What’s for you won’t go by you and all that ?❤️

GillT57 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:43:42

Maybe just ease off the constant texting or he may feel that you are yet another tug at his time; he has a new job, new home, elderly parents, relocation to deal with which is a huge amount of turmoil. Just send a friendly text wishing him success in his new job, and say that you would love to see him when he is in our area again?

jaylucy Mon 28-Jun-21 11:39:32

He's got a lot on his hands at the moment, so needs a bit of time and space I think, just to get himself organised.
Sorry, but you are coming across as being a bit desperate - you have only met each other a few times, yet you phone him while you are away with friends and ask him how he thinks it's going ? I don't understand why you did that!
Take a step back and maybe even see someone else - 4 dates doesn't make you exclusive and there is a fair way to go, I think before you can think your self as being that.
Get to know someone as a friend to work out if there is a future - this can take weeks or months - you wouldn't expect to know if someone is likely to be a longtime female friend, don't expect it with a man!

Newatthis Mon 28-Jun-21 11:28:31

Men don't like women who come across as 'too keen'. Back off a little, let him do the running.

glammanana Mon 28-Jun-21 10:45:41

Sadly desperation springs to mind why would he want
embark on a serious relationship when he is relocating to another area it sounds as though the poor man is just being polite and not know how to let you down gently,texting after just 4 dates is something my GD (17yrs) would do.
Leave the texting alone this week and let him settle himself into his new job its the last thing he needs whilst getting to know his new team see if he gets in touch next week-end.By the way how old are you both and are you both looking for a long term relationship ?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 28-Jun-21 09:41:55

Texting all day every day? Calling him out when he doesn’t after four dates? You sound totally desperate and with too much time on your hands, whereas you say he’s got a fairly senior job. How do you expect him to have time for all this? I reckon you’ve scared him off with all this intensity but can’t see how this relationship could progress anyway with him having a senior job which means being fully occupied and living away five days a week then spending weekends with elderly parents which means his free time is somewhat limited. Find another fish and don’t chase like a schoolgirl and ask where things are going after a few dates.

Calendargirl Mon 28-Jun-21 07:36:43

Also, to be clear, I always wait for him to initiate conversation and to make plans

Your post doesn’t read like this though. It looks like you often send the text or make the call.

ineedamum Mon 28-Jun-21 06:01:02

It's great you have met someone you like, especially during lockdown when things have been unusual. I also think texting doesn't help, the agony of checking your phone for messages. Also, texting increases risk of miscommunications.

I disagree with a previous poster about sex by date 5. I have the opposite view and experience that men will wait until the woman is ready.

Mattsmum2 Sat 26-Jun-21 20:46:10

Vallotton

Hmm. Five dates in a month and no sex. That doesn't sound good unless one or other of you is deliberately holding out. Men look for sex and may or may not find love along the way. There's a general saying that if you haven't had sex by the third date it isn't going to happen. How is this going to work anyway when he's settled in his new job and only coming home weekends (and presumably staying with his aged parents)? I suspect he enjoys your company but isn't falling for you. I'd let things cool, give him space to get on with his new job and date other men in the meantime.

I’m sorry but not all men are just interested in sex, and there’s no hard and fast rules about when or if it should happen. It’s comments like this that make men more wary of relationships and how to get in to a meaningful one that is based on love and may develop in to sex when the time is right.

Welshwife Sat 26-Jun-21 20:43:17

I know someone who has done quite a bit of online dating in different parts of U.K. She tells me the sort of thing you are experiencing is very very common - one person sort of blanks the other - they call it ghosting. The contacting all day everyday is also common with all her friends etc.
It could be as others say he is very busy or it could be the normal type of behaviour. She says the experience of her women friends is often that men have very little and are at times living in a room or renting a place as they have needed to give a lot in a divorce, often they are looking for a woman with her own house. Some hope to find a woman with a nice settlement too!

PinkCakes Sat 26-Jun-21 20:43:17

You've been out with this bloke 5 times and you're already hassling him to say how he feels and how the relationship is going?

As he's going to be in Wales and only back for the weekends, I'd say the relationship isn't really going anywhere, is it? It all sounds a bit desperate on your part. Why not see other people, meet your friends, enjoy life, enjoy being single?

Vallotton Sat 26-Jun-21 20:22:19

Hmm. Five dates in a month and no sex. That doesn't sound good unless one or other of you is deliberately holding out. Men look for sex and may or may not find love along the way. There's a general saying that if you haven't had sex by the third date it isn't going to happen. How is this going to work anyway when he's settled in his new job and only coming home weekends (and presumably staying with his aged parents)? I suspect he enjoys your company but isn't falling for you. I'd let things cool, give him space to get on with his new job and date other men in the meantime.

Katie59 Sat 26-Jun-21 20:15:58

“Felt like a schoolgirl”
Yea I know exactly how that feels - at 60.

Message him a couple of times a week if he’s interested he will date you properly, if he doesn’t, move on.

welbeck Sat 26-Jun-21 19:19:35

you sound desperate.
or very young.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Jun-21 19:15:02

You’re swamping him
It will burn out very quickly at this rate, one month in and ….
We text each other all day, every day
It would drive me crackers if I was trying to organise a new job a new place to live and had a new date texting me all the time
Give it all a bit of a rest be careful you don’t come across as too needy

MaxieF Sat 26-Jun-21 19:05:37

Thanks Katie59, would he invite me to breakfast if he was letting me down gently?

I do hope not

M

Katie59 Sat 26-Jun-21 19:04:01

I think he is being too cool and you are “chasing” too much, he may be letting you down gently, so be prepared for that. Conversation should not be one sided, that makes it hard work, it should flow naturally without either dominating.
I was in the same situation 2 yrs ago, no excuses, no hesitation, on time, very similar interests helped a lot.

sodapop Sat 26-Jun-21 19:02:51

I agree with FarNorth take things easy for a while, your man has a lot going on.
What will be will be.

FarNorth Sat 26-Jun-21 18:57:17

There's no harm in messaging now and again. Just don't try to pressure him.
It's 'early days' as you said.

FarNorth Sat 26-Jun-21 18:55:32

I have no experience of online dating but I think you are pushing too much.
'Called him out' seems a bit much - why not just ask in a straightforward way if he's been busy, as you haven't heard from him?

He does have a lot going on, so just be content with occasional contact while he gets things sorted out and then take things gradually.