Gransnet forums

Relationships

Dating sites and single life

(10 Posts)
Awesomegranny Fri 16-Jul-21 14:19:03

Recently out of a relationship and ready to move on. My question is how do I meet someone new at 60 do I look on dating sites? I’m fit active and probably look younger but it seems to me most men on dating sites either want someone much younger , lie about their ages or are scammers. Is there a dating site that attracts decent genuine people. Not looking for a happy after, just new people to meet and form friendships and broaden my social life. I think because of COVID my lifestyle has become quite solitary though I do go walking with friends and family, but not to keen on joining indoor classes other than my usual Pilates sessions. What do other singles do at the moment to meet new people when they’ve moved to a new small town.

Nonogran Fri 16-Jul-21 16:03:05

Good afternoon Awsomegranny,
There have been quite a few threads about internet dating so I’ll not bore you with the same advice others have given, yet again! You can probably do a Gransnet search for other threads on this topic. Be careful out there! Age need not be a barrier either. This I know from experience.

One idea which might appeal is to look up your local Oddfellows group. See this link:
www.oddfellows.co.uk/
I have no experience of this organisation but for friends without an agenda, it might help?
Good luck if you go down the dating sites route but if your date doesn’t work out as hoped, or your gut is telling you it’s not quite right, walk away. Too many players, scammers, and confidence tricksters out there.
Also, if a bloke doesn’t put up a photo, he’s probably married.

Nonogran Fri 16-Jul-21 16:06:34

If you go into the Gransnet search box & enter “dating” there’s a load of good information from Gransnet for you to review. Scroll down past the dating sites adverts.

Sonyaaaaaaa Fri 23-Jul-21 10:05:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Chloejo Sat 24-Jul-21 12:10:42

there are meet ups where u make new friends and have good social life they have various good outings going on and you can do as little as u want or as much

vampirequeen Sun 25-Jul-21 08:21:27

It takes a little while to learn how to sort the wheat from the chaff but then it becomes easy. Some of the obvious are those who want to sext with you or show you/ask for you to show them bits you'd rather not see/show. I had great fun when I was dating. Met some lovely men, some of whom became great friends. And, most importantly, met my DH.

Katie59 Sun 25-Jul-21 08:35:36

vampirequeen

It takes a little while to learn how to sort the wheat from the chaff but then it becomes easy. Some of the obvious are those who want to sext with you or show you/ask for you to show them bits you'd rather not see/show. I had great fun when I was dating. Met some lovely men, some of whom became great friends. And, most importantly, met my DH.

Dating has change since we were young, there are far more idiots, there are good men looking for good women finding them isn’t easy.
But then when was it ever easy to find a good man.

lyonss Mon 26-Jul-21 11:49:22

Familiarity sites are a good way. But yes, Covid is making a difference in our lives. Perhaps you should try to search on thematic forums or grapps in social networks? Faster to establish communication with someone who has similar hobbies

barbramalo Mon 26-Jul-21 16:54:52

Try to find interest groups on social networks or start your own blog, which will be very interesting and attract new people to communicate

Esspee Mon 26-Jul-21 17:10:45

OLD can be fun. Start with a free site such as Plenty of Fish. Register as a man your age. This allows you to see what the competition is like and helps you to compose your profile.
Once registered as a woman constantly rewrite your profile based on your experiences. Change your profile photo making sure it is always recent. Be honest but don’t reveal too much personal info. I took quite a while before actually meeting anyone and had no bad experiences. You are in control.