Gransnet forums

Relationships

I have left

(152 Posts)
deedee6969 Tue 17-Aug-21 18:37:17

I have been married for 37yrs this year. It has always been a rocky marriage. DH was raised by a drunk dad and paranoid schizophrenic mum. It rubs off. He has always thought I was having afffairs behind his back. I never ever have. These past 3 years have been horrendous and after a really bad episode of accusations and blame for everything that is wrong in his life I told him that the next time he blames me for everything I was leaving. It settled down for a while then reared up again. Same old abuse, different day and I left. I know it was definitely the right thing to do but it's also very hard. I have been accepted onto the housing register and I have applied for a little bungalow so fingers crossed I hear something soon. I just feel like a failure and at 56 I am starting all over again. I know I couldn't stay in the very abusive and sometimes terrifying situation but it is so hard. We do own the house he's still in and I know it will have to be sold but I also know he will drag it out for as long as possible. It is what it is. I am claiming universal credit now and they have assured me I will get housing benefit until my home is sold. I do have a son and daughter who support my decision but I don't want to upset their family lives so as far a they're concerned I'm fine. I'm not. But I will be. Sorry for the long post think I just needed a rant ?

Sofa Fri 01-Oct-21 17:30:23

Your new home looks great! Enjoy your new life!

Susysue Fri 01-Oct-21 17:23:14

I am so happy for you Deedee. Well done xx

sodapop Tue 28-Sep-21 18:02:28

Your new home looks lovely DeeDee your own private and peaceful haven. Enjoy it.

Eloethan Tue 28-Sep-21 17:13:22

deedee I hope you can now relax and enjoy life without the worry of having accusations and blame thrown at you constantly.

I expect it will be scary and difficult at first but I feel sure that in the long run you will feel much happier. Good luck.

grannysyb Tue 28-Sep-21 16:48:14

A lovely home for you DeeDee, it looks great.

Grandmabatty Tue 28-Sep-21 16:01:21

Your house looks lovely DeeDee many happy times ahead for you.

Neen Tue 28-Sep-21 15:50:04

Well done you... and baby steps in to your new chapter. Healthy boundaries and self worth are paramount. Can I recommend two books if your a reader .

The monk who sold his Ferrari and the power of now

All the best and I hope something lovely happens for you.

Skydancer Tue 28-Sep-21 15:34:54

Just a piece of advice. Keep a diary. Keep dates of everything that is said and done especially with regards to the house sale. We have been involved in a couple of disputes re cars, house renovations etc and have always regretted not being absolutely sure of dates. It really helps in any disputes.

Nonogran Tue 28-Sep-21 15:29:42

Well done Deedee! You have done so well & are an inspiration for all those Grans who are scared to take the plunge & get out of bad marriages/partnerships. I’m really pleased for you & your little home looks fabulous.

Dottygran59 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:57:09

Deedee your home is beautiful and it was so heartwarming to hear your update. This is YOUR time now. Enjoy your wonderful bungalow and please do keep in touch - I've loved reading this thread and it always cheers me up

seacliff Tue 28-Sep-21 14:49:44

What a lovely home Deedee, it must be like a dream come true. I'm sure your story will help others. Very happy for you.

V3ra Tue 28-Sep-21 14:47:46

Lovely photos, it's all really pretty.
You sound so happy ?

midgey Tue 28-Sep-21 14:30:29

Brilliant update! Wish I could pop round for some cake.?
The only way is up now.

Grannybags Tue 28-Sep-21 14:28:12

Well done Deedee! You should be really proud of yourself

SueDonim Tue 28-Sep-21 14:20:58

You have a beautiful home, Deedee! It looks so welcoming and cosy.

Well done, you should be proud of yourself. Maybe when you’re more settled you should consider sharing your exerpeince with others going through the same thing, Women’s Aid or something like that. You have such a positive story to tell. smile

deedee6969 Tue 28-Sep-21 11:57:41

Good morning all....I'm settling in nicely now. I have started baking again and my sisters, brother, dad, best friend and whoever else fancies dropping in ? come to mine on a Friday for a cuppa and cake and I love it!!! They've requested carrot cake this week ?.
On a practical note I contacted my council about single person 25% discount on council tax and he asked if I'd also applied for Council Tax Reduction (I hadn't because I thought they were the same thing). I applied online and had to send proof of id, national insurance number and benefits summary and all I have to pay is £11 a month. Brill. So if you are on a low income it's definitely worth a try even if you only get a small reduction it all counts. My housing benefit was also sorted and all my rent is being paid apart from £5 per week which I have to pay so another plus. I did find that speaking to the relevant authorities on the phone initially rather than email was really helpful in pointing me in the right direction to what support you can get. Don't struggle pick up the phone and ask. Be brutally honest about your situation.
If anyone is in the same situation I was in and think that they can't afford to leave so have no other option but to stay in a toxic relationship there is help out there if you ask for it. No it's not easy to begin with. Yes you will go through a thousand different emotions. Yes you have a lot of processes, paperwork, phonecalls to deal with but it is so worth all the effort to have peace in your own home where you make all the decisions. You decide who you see, where you go and there is noone waiting to interrogate you about where you went, who you spoke to, when you get back!! You can do it. Speak to friends and family and get their help and support with somewhere safe to stay (I stayed at my daughters but I also pinched my sisters houses when they went on holiday). Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it because you really are stronger than you think ❤

midgey Fri 17-Sep-21 11:51:08

So pleased to read your update. Enjoy your holiday and hope you settle into your new life soon.

DiscoGran Fri 17-Sep-21 11:21:56

Deedee you have done brilliantly, I am so happy for you. Everyone reading your posts is behind you, and you are an inspiration. ?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Sep-21 08:35:07

It sounds lovely deedee. Enjoy your holiday with your sister smile

sodapop Fri 17-Sep-21 08:29:40

You have done amazingly well deedee relax now and enjoy time in your new home and with all your friends and family who clearly care about you a great deal.

seacliff Thu 16-Sep-21 23:15:02

Such wonderful news DeeDee, love that your family and friends have all helped you. Well done, I do admire you. Enjoy your fun family weekend away. So happy for you.

deedee6969 Thu 16-Sep-21 20:33:11

Wel I'm in...It's been a very busy and emotional week. I'm not going to pretent that being on your own after 40yrs of being married and raising children is easy because it's really not. I have had wobbles a few times because it would be so much easier to have stayed and I suppose you have to grieve to move on. Yesterday was a really bad day for me but I shook it off and today has been better. I have pottered around the garden and tidied it up a bit. My new home looks lovely. I have had some lovely furniture donated by friends and family. My children bought me a sofa and my friend gave me her washer/dryer because she has replaced it for a bigger one. My daughter fetched my memory cabinet (things from my children/grandchildren over the years). I got my cooker,bed and freezer from Very on buy now pay in 12 months. I got a gorgeous wardrobe and drawers from a local hospice charity and my son made me a desk from a cut off piece of oak worktop and I got some lovely stools from british heart foundation. The only big cost was the carpets and my dad paid half towards them bless him.
I'll just take things one day at a time and I know there will be good and bad days but eventually more good than bad I hope.
My sister has booked a caravan in Cleethorpes this weekend for my Dads birthday and I am going too and I can't bloomin wait!!! So ready for a break and i know it will be full of laughter and probably a few tears or maybe both ?

JaneJudge Fri 10-Sep-21 16:10:01

I missed your update smile I hope the carpets are in soon xx

123gran Fri 10-Sep-21 15:56:26

A failure?? You must be joking…you are obviously very, very strong, both to put up with it for so long and then to walk away and start to build a new life. Good luck to you and stay as strong as you obviously are (however it feels).

Grandmabatty Fri 10-Sep-21 15:46:03

You've done so well DeeDee. If you ever get wobbles, look back at this thread to see how far you've come and how we all were with you every step of the way. Best of luck for the future.